No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I am sure it does not save in freighter I own, no message pops up. I will check though

That’s not my recollection. Whenever you get out of your ship, the game saves. Doesn’t matter where you are.

But I could be wrong! :)

This game is frustratingly more buggy than it was last time I played a few years back.

Besides the save issue before making me lose progress (though not as much as I originally thought but still), I’ve pulse engined to my freighter only for the game to stop too late and get me stuck inside my freighter, thus I had to reload (again losing some progress), I sold my ship for 505k in which it only gave me 100k, I tried to get back to my freighter again and upon getting in the landing area my ship started spinning and went black (claiming I died from planetary impact), gathering nodes respawn and despawn randomly (though infinitely respawning is fun), I went to land next to an ore node and my ship went under the world to in order to land near a building 600 units away, etc…

I don’t know if it’s just multiplayer that is making things terrible (I played before multiplayer was in) but it’s just sucking the fun out of the game for me.

I’ve put in 30 hours over the last week or so and had no issues at all

Sorry if this comes off as being obstinate or pedantic or whatever, but above stuff about saving on freighters is very well established, so I would probably recommend testing it yourselves if you’re unsure, if for no other reason than to just avoid running into problems. Exiting your ship on an NPC freighter will never save, and doing so on your own freighter (or using a save point on it, up in the buildable area) should always save.

No, all good - thanks for confirming! :)

Yikes. I have not experienced any of what you’re describing in hundreds of hours of play including all of the Expeditions up to the most recent one. Couple of things I would suggest:

1. If you’re on Steam, run “Verify Integrity of Game Files”. Go to your Library and find the listing for No Man’s Sky there. Right click and choose Properties. Click Local Files, then choose Verify Integrity of Game Files.

2. Download and install the latest graphics drivers for your GPU. The few times I have had graphics-related issues with the game (one time every space station I landed on the aliens had no heads!) they’ve been resolved by updating my graphics drivers.

If neither of those does the trick, I’d recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the game, especially if it’s been years since the last time you installed it. There has been A LOT that has changed, and while the game does patch itself up to the latest version, it’s possible something could be missing or corrupted.

Good luck!

Hey all, I tried to fire up NMS just now after a very long hiatus (Steam says I last played it in July 2018!) and it’s telling me my save game is out of sync with Steam cloud. How to proceed if I don’t want to lose progress? Should I just start over? According to Steam I’d already put in about 123 hours.

n/m, updating Nvidia drivers and restarting Steam seems to have fixed it.

Glad you got that sorted. Lots of folks have lost save progress (or entire saves in some cases) because of cloud issues. Disabling NMS cloud saves in Steam, and then making manual backups periodically, might be a good idea. Here are the Steam folders:

Steam on PC: %appdata%\HelloGames\NMS\st_<Steam64ID>\...

Steam on Linux:
$HOME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/275850/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Application Data/HelloGames/NMS/st_<Steam64ID>/...

Oh, and a guy on the official unofficial discord maintains this NMS backup utility: https://github.com/weasel-nms/NMS-save-file-backup.

BTW, I don’t know if it’s just me, but NMS doesn’t seem to see my Xbox Series controller at all. Even in Big Picture mode. I guess I’ve got to haul out my Xbone one, or even my only remaining wired 360 one.

Assuming you’re sure Windows actually sees the controller, take a look at:
NMS Properties → Controller
and
NMS Properties → Controller → Controller General Settings

Yes, Windows sees the controller just fine-- I just played through a DLC for Shadow of War with it. So you’re saying look at the properties of the Steam library entry for the game? Okay I’ll try that, but within the game’s options I got bupkis.

Sorry, I forgot to specify to look for those in Steam.

Thanks, that did the trick- don’t know why, but all controllers but the Steam one were disabled for some reason.

Now I’m sort of relearning everything, but there’s so much new stuff since I last played.

Oh, a tip that might help down the road. When you have a sec, go into NMS Settings > Controller Configuration and export your current config. It will save to the cloud, and you can then tweak and change it over time.

Some NMS updates overwrite or break bindings, especially for controllers, for some reason.

Yet another new update. Seems to be “only” an expedition this time.

So the Space Whales aren’t new? Why does he mention them separately? To remind people that they were already in the game?

(Sorry, I don’t keep track of the updates, so apologies if it’s an annoying question).

Space Whales are new, but I think that they might be the final reward for the expedition.

The update is called “Expedition seven: Leviathan”, so “expedition” is in the update name. That’s why I thought there’s little else in this update. Not that I complain. There’s not that long ago since their last major update Outlaws.

Here’s the release notes:

Okay, this is an Expedition that might pull me back in.

Just when you thought you were out… ;)