No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

It is, but they haven’t made major changes to it for quite a while. (Even 4.0, despite implying tutorial changes – and that’s pretty much what the story is, a gigantic tutorial – didn’t seem to change the main story.)

I’m a little disappointed in the so-called “custom game modes”. As far as I can tell it’s not as exciting as what the name describes. Mostly just toggles and sliders for resource and difficulty settings.

Lol, this is what happened to me…the 2nd planet I landed on was pretty much perfect in every aspect, I built a small beach house and that was pretty much that. Why would I go anywhere else?

Looks like 4.0 is not on the switch yet. I have a sad.

Wow, I thought the Switch version launched with 4.0.

It did. Not sure what @ImaTarget means?

According to this he might be right:

I think I misunderstood. I thought you guys were saying the Switch version is not yet 4.0.

That’s what I am saying. There is no relaxed mode and no game settings menu.

Is there a tiny, nearly-impossible-to-read version number in the lower right of your main NMS screen? The first screen you see after launching. Latest for Switch is 92789 1.2, I believe.

Yeah you’re right. I bought the game and that stuff ain’t there yet.

Just to clarify, are you 1) scrolling to the bottom of your saves list (if you have any existing saves) and 2) hitting New Game? That should take you to a screen where Normal, Relaxed, Creative, Community Expedition, Custom, and Survival are listed.

Also, Game Settings are one click beyond that. (Custom Game forces you to pick settings before it puts you into the game, and all the other modes let you optionally change them any time after starting the new save.)

Sorry for sounding hesitant about how things should be, I took an NMSCord vacation, so bear with me while I catch up with the overall state of the game and with the Switch differences.

I just bought the game on switch so there are no existing saves. There is no relaxed mode and of course no settings either. As the article linked earlier says it seems to me the promo material mixed 4.0 with the Switch release suggesting it is one and the same. While in reality the Switch release isn’t 4.0 but will get the 4.0 patch once it goes through certification and deployment by Nintendo. It’s not great but not a big issue either. I have it on PC too, will shelve it on Switch until 4.0

Thank you for clarifying. Of course you wouldn’t have any saves right after purchasing the game, but for all I know you could have created some by now while messing around with the different game modes. It helps me to make sure we are actually on the same page w/r/t the steps you took and screens you see on the way. Knowing the version number would also be helpful.

I have the Switch version and can pick from Normal, Survival, Hardcore, Creative or Community when I start a game. Is this the 4.0 stuff?

It looks like the Switch has been updated. I was able to choose relaxed mode this morning.

Odd because their page clearly shows Switch as being on ‘Waypoint’.
Sure the other platforms have a more recent patch, but it’s not this patch enabling the new features.

Though different platforms do have different feature sets - I think Switch for example is single-player only (‘at launch’)?

The Switch is the first platform to have a very noticeably different feature set. Should be at 94280 4.02 as of right now, and I expect them to push out at least a couple more patches this week.

Started a new game on XSX after being a big fan on ps4 (for awhile, at least). Did Relaxed Mode and happened upon a station after an hour or so where I saw my clunky freighter that I had in my ps4 game. I changed the settings so I could freely purchase it, and then felt bad that I wasn’t being true to the game. And there’s no save I can revert to. One autosave and one restore point or whatever it’s called after exiting the ship. I think I’m starting over. I really want to play as close as I did to v1.0 as possible

So how do you find missions in this game? I now have a ship and am ready to party.

The main tutorial gives you stuff to do, and there are also missions you can pick up at the Anomaly (can be done solo if you prefer). Stations also offer missions of a kind, but they’re probably not the sort of missions you are after.

What I do for fun is create my own “missions” by dialing up difficulty, avoiding min-maxing, setting other kinds of arbitrary limits (RP kinda thing) and then choosing challenging goals.