No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

No kidding. Mostly iron, some copper, a little bit of tin. Bollocks else in terms of transuranics and rares.

Fauna is okay as long as you’re not looking for polar bears

Speak to Monsanto about Flora

Game doesn’t take place in our reality… if the pretentious twaddle, I mean story/lore, is to be believed.

76% of the reviews on Steam in the last 30 days are now positive. Before the latest patch it was around 53%. Definitely making people happier. Good for Hello Games trying to fix what they did not deliver upon release.

I’m up to about 5 hours, and thus far I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s not a flawless game and - as noted above - seems to intentionally push you away from doing the normal space combat sim thing, which is an interesting choice. I like he exploration, and enjoy seeing what derpy or cool creature is around the bend.

I have to agree with @Telefrog. I’ll probably get about 10 more hours of game from it, still need to mess with base building. So I feel like my $20 was well spent. However, I can name a few games in my library that give me the same experience as this, but so much better. I don’t know what the magic formula is, NMS just only seems to be a shallow pool and I want a deeper experience.

Please name them!

As far as I know, there aren’t any other games with this scale of procedural universe exploration and level of polish.

I am interested as well! Outside of Elite (which does Galaxy exploration better but does not do walk about or fauna at all) I would LOVE some more space proc gen exploration games.

Yes the tech here is pretty smooth and slick (inability to adjust lod transitions notwithstanding); the seamless space-to-ground worlds, caves, underwater, flora, fauna, atmosphere effects, the audio. From what I’ve seen of other games out there it’s all kind of clunky, unfinished, or much lower scope.

Especially now you can fly close the ground, that makes it so much cooler! Wildlife strafing runs anyone? :)

So I jumped now to the 3rd sector and the game is far more enjoyable, I realized I shouldn’t waste time mining the cheap stuff, shoot for the large gold penis rocks I keep finding and sell that for fat profit. 5 hours in and I have almost a half million space bucks.

I made it to this story related thing and I cant seem to progress?
It doesn’t let me do anything and keeps repeating the same question no matter how I answer it.

It’s not space related, but Subnatica just seems to do everything NMS is doing, but better. Now that’s just my opinion, the world and the creatures aren’t procedural generated either.

Starbound could be called the 2d NMS after the most recent update. Very fun.

I have a few more, but most are early access or not necessarily space games. Needless to say, NMS rang a few bells for me. But it’s 2 days later and I find myself already struggling to load it up and grind more to get to the next step in the Artemis questline. Still a great 15 or so hours of gameplay.

Thanks!

I just started playing again tonight. First time since before the first major update came out, and now on a PS4 Pro instead of original version to boot! Man is this game even more beautiful than it was before.

Despite putting 30+ hours into the game, I had no attachment to my saved game and also didn’t remember anything about it, so I happily started over from scratch. The new intro to the game is a nice improvement, and it seemed like a much smoother and easier to follow ramp up to interstellar travel. It was also really cool to see 4-5 NPCs in one area on the first base I went to instead of just 1.

The rest of the improvements are also really nice so far - much better scanner and visor, significantly improved inventory management, separate inventory for tech, and so on.

It’s cool to see all of these improvements even before I get to the real “meat” of things like new biomes, story, types of planets, upgrades, building, and everything else they’ve added.

Kudos to the team for really turning this around.

Traveled to my first external system on the new save, one hop away from the starting system. Closest planet to the local station is a water planet with scarce flora and fauna. Find my first trading post and this guy is hanging out nearby.

Fortunately he/she happens to be an unconcerned grazing creature. Shy, even, wouldn’t let me get a good shot of its face.

Gah! I found a very nice major upgrade crashed ship on a freezing mineral rich planet. Well, mineral rich except for Heridium. And I need that to repair my nice new ship. I swear I flew past some before I found the ship. I guess I’ll have to get back in my old ship and go look for it. I went on a long cold excursion and found nothing but nickel and aluminum. I put down several signal boosters… but they only point me to aluminum. I don’t want to give up the new ship, so I guess I need to keep looking.

Got past that spot where I was stuck, just had to make an inventory spot free.

Just got my V1 atlas pass, yay!

You can craft a beacon to permanently mark the location, and return later. If you’ve advanced far enough to have the components… (voltaic cell). Then go off-world for the Heridium. Theoretically. :)

Sadly, not yet.

Resistance to purchasing fading…

I built a base, somewhat randomly. Did some quests, then tried to move the base to a better planet.

This seems like it worked, but then I couldn’t talk to my buddies in the base, and any query interaction with them pointed to a quest market floating in space in the system of the original base.

To fix this, I eventually went back to the same planet and but another base there, and then it started working again. But it was annoying and buggy.

Yeah, definitely a few kinks and bugs to work out, for sure. One ship landing bug that hits me about 10% of the time causes me to be stuck in my ship but out in the world at the same time and yet unable to move, forcing me to reenter the ship properly and take off and reland. Another, that occurs about 5% of the time when I land, causes me to eject from my ship and shoot me 50 feet up into the air, and sometimes hundreds of feet away as well, and I have to use the jetpack to avoid death. No actual quest/npc bugs yet, knock on wood.