No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

What the…?

Shortly after this, an artificial transmission cut in and requested permission to take over my navigation. It then provided a waypoint and I’m veering toward it now.

Please put whatever you find in spoiler tags…

Use the photo mode! It’s pretty cool. :)

Sorry about the spoilers. That took me totally by surprise.

Finally I made it to my ship… flying it now, I noticed the low draw distance on PS4…? Is it better on PC? I wonder if I should grab it on the PC for graphics improvements (it is still on sale on GOG)…
Opinions from people having both?

There was a Digital Foundry article around launch that claimed a small view distance increase on PC.

But there are no settings to control it unfortunately otherwise I’d crank it - I have frames to burn!

PC does have higher res textures, unlocked frame rates, adjustable FoVs, and higher AF texture filtering though.

I googled and found a draw distance mod … anyone using it?

No. Does it work on 1.3?

Big tip for survival mode that I just discovered. At shelters, observatories, manufacturing buildings etc., you can come in very slowly and look for a white “landing” diamond near the save/explore beacon (I think it’s there consistently) and then land when you are over it. There is no built platform there but you still get the free launch for Plutonium. This just changed the game for me. I was about to go back to normal mode because of the hassle of always having to scrounge for plutonium.

I think the main issue with the draw distance is that the terrain is generated as you are flying towards it. Were they to increase the draw distance, the pop-in effect of the terrain resolution settling likely would be worse than the draw distance.

Looky looky.

Screw this, I’m not installing the latest patch until I reach the center of the galaxy on Permadeath. I’m doing it slightly older school!

Very slow process, though. I’m betting 1.3 adds some trick to make it there much faster, but I have all my ducks in a row and i know the update will mess some of my things.

Well, I couldn’t resist and finally bought the GOG version. Looking forward to checking it out over the next couple of days.

Yeah that’s part of why the draw distance mods are unappealing.

I’ve always wished for an increase in the generation distance as well, not just the draw. Surely that’d be something tied to some variables that can be adjusted or exposed by HG? Because they’d be tweaking that to get performance balanced on PS4. I haven’t watched the GDC talk yet but I watched an earlier one.

Boom shakalaka! Made it to the center of the galaxy on Permadeath, first try! (version 1.24) I hope it’s still going to be quite the achievement as of this patch…

Here’s what the ol’ homestead looked like, nothin’ fancy, it’s permadeath after all:

Here are some pics of the journey:

And now the animal shots:

The diplocobra:

If you think Ms. uglyface is weird…

Wait till you see Mr. uglyface, with his full grown battle crest!

Thanks for looking! Cheerio!

Those shots are amazing.

Is that what is at the center of the galaxy or is there more? Crap, I’ve made it this far without being spoiled. I guess that’s what I get for reading NMS threads without playing it yet.

He didn’t show you the other .gif. There’s a planet at the center of the galaxy that contains nothing but the dick-shaped objects players have made with terrain manipulator.

Yeah, I hope there’s more to it or I’m going to feel pretty stupid for reading this thread after I just picked it up.

Chill, guys, that’s just the screenshot of the moment the trophy pops. Besides, as far as I know, they might have changed what happens with the story overhaul of 1.3.

I’m perfectly calm, Dude. Calmer than you are.

You know, if that were true, and screens leaked out, sales probably would skyrocket.