No more seafood after 2048

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/11/02/seafood.crisis.ap/index.html

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=30520

• Alan

If this actually comes to pass by 2048, I will buy each and every one of the QT3 forum-goers a 24 oz. clonesteak. And a bloomin’ onion.

Gotta admit, Whitta… Nellie beat you to the punch with the better Subject. :-P

How will I live without shrimp fried rice!

Aw man, I love my seafood.

Bullshit numbers anyway, at least if you’re an American eating domestically-caught fish in the US.

Thanks to strict NMFS regulation, stocks of seafood in North American waters is rebounding to pre-regulation levels…but the unlikely PETA/Vegan/Sport fishing industry doesn’t want you to know that, so they fudge numbers and hide data and get gullible news agencies to bite, so to speak.

Go out and have swordfish this weekend with a clear conscience. The domestic Atlantic and Pacific populations here are doing just fine.

Yeah, it’s kind of hard to imagine eating all the fish in 50 years. Maybe it’s like in that movie coming up where the women can’t have babies anymore and everyone is so pissed off they’re blowing up the world.

Plus, you don’t have to worry about mercury poisoning, since the world ran out of the stuff in 1985. Or so the Club of Rome predicted in '72…

Man, whatever. 12 years ago a runaway planet hurdled between the Earth and the Moon and unleashed cosmic destruction.

Not that I dispute this, but do you have any sources for this? Most reports I’ve read seems to indicate that fishstocks in the eastern Atlantic, at least, are dangerously depleted. Which is also the impression I have been given by friends with degrees in relevant fields.

Become a Vagitarian.

Now we know what kind of resturant triggercut owns.

The year: 1994. From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction! Man’s civilization is cast in ruin!
Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn…
A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the forces of evil.
He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!

I had vag last night. :)

Lords of Light!

You shall not use your fishy ways here, sorcerer!

June 2006 and June 2005 reports to Congress from The National Marine Fisheries Service, a division of NOAA, and the arm of the US Government that has, for the last 10 years set and enforced commercial fishing regulations in this country. There are definitely still depleted and overfished species, and especially so in the Eastern/Northern Atlantic. That doesn’t mean those species are anything even like “endangered”; it does mean that the presence of these species in the commercial marketplace becomes scarecer which drives prices up.

For a scientist to say that what the study cited in the CNN story says is irresponsible, stupid science, unsupported by literally shittons of aquaculture research performed by NOAA scientists.

And just to knock out another bird with this stone, I run a steakhouse that took swordfish off the menu four months ago (too much fluctuation in price) and switched that dish to an Hawaiian ahi tuna.

I have a Tauren warrior called Ookla, and periodically people confuse him with the stone guy from the Herculoids.

Fools!

First they came for the swordfish, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a swordfish.

Then they came for the Hawaiian ahi tuna, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Hawaiian ahi tuna.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.

Panic Now!