No more Xp Home updates after 12/31/06?

“For consumer products, security updates will be available through the end of the mainstream phase. For Windows XP Home Edition, there will be no security updates after 12/31/06.” Regarding paid support for problems unrelated to security patches, I was told that “Users who want to continue to receive support after the Microsoft assisted and paid support offerings have ended may visit the Retired Product Support Options Web site.”

From…

This seems a little harsh doesnt it? I mean when do we honestly expect computers to start shipping with Vista? Last I read it would be sometime in November and that seems kinda hardcore to cut people off that just bought an XP system in September / Oct.

Microsoft supports XP with SP1 or SP2 past this date. When they retire XP with the service packs, then you have to move to Vista for automatic support.

You’ve got to look at the support for the service packs.

Microsoft’s support for the following products (include XP Home) requires that a supported service pack be installed. Microsoft will provide support for products that have installed the immediately preceding service pack for a period of twelve months from the release of the current service pack.

Product: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
General Availability Data: 17-Sep-2004
Service Pack Support Retired: Not Applicable - See Note
Note: Support ends either 12 months after the next service pack releases or at the end of the product’s support lifecycle, whichever comes first. Visit the Lifecycle page to find the support timelines for your particular product

Consumer plan currently runs for 5 years after release. So you’re looking at support for Windows XP Home SP2 (assuming there’s no more service packs) until September 17th 2009.

Also, they extended Windows 98 support a couple times, and are still doing critical updates until June of this year.

That arstechnica article didn’t read the fine print. Sloppy.

Perhaps I’m misreading, but the quoted text, and the links provided, suggest to me that support ends on Consumer products 5 years from the Product introduction to market, or 12 months beyond the latest service pack. I don’t see anything suggesting the “XP Home SP2” will be supported 5 years following the release of SP2, it’s 5 years from the initial release of XP Home.

It’s a moot point anyway, IMHO. There’s no way MS will take the PR flak of an unsupported XP home 12 months from now.