No Sex for you

I really can’t believe this is true. I’d like to find some more information than just from USA Today and some liberal blogs.

The federal government’s “no sex without marriage” message isn’t just for kids anymore.

Now the government is targeting unmarried adults up to age 29 as part of its abstinence-only programs, which include millions of dollars in federal money that will be available to the states under revised federal grant guidelines for 2007.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-10-30-abstinence-message_x.htm

Any one know if this is for real?
I can’t believe 50 million is being set aside to preach to adults about abstinence.
Talk about public health disasters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/30/AR2006103000802.html

Looks like it’s for real.

I just can’t see something like this coming to fruition. Even if it does, I dought it would have much, if any impact, and would be 50mil down the drain.

I am sure that money could be used for better uses.

So, when are they going to claim this has nothing to do with religion? And I also wonder, does the supporters of this understand the potential consequences of this? This will, if anything, only lead to more unwanted children and more STDs.

The real question should be: If they understand the consequences, then why the hell are they running with it? To widen the gap between the privileged and the poor? To make sure AIDS spreads quicker throughout the country? To make sure that those who live in sin are duly punished for it, thus proving that the Lord Almighty was right?

Those pushing it don’t understand the consequences, and believe that anyone who has such advice and doesn’t follow it chastely deserves what they get – as proof of their moral superiority. “If only you’d done what I, in my infinite wisdom, told you – you’d be ok!”. Whether or not such ignorance breeds more unwanted children and/or STDs is entirely beside the point – you don’t need to learn or think for yourselves, you just need to to what you’re told.

50 million could feed, cloth and house an awful lot of people. What a fucking waste of money.

Good lord. Does anyone know how to find the list of congresspeople who voted for this idiocy so that this amazing waste of money can be protested?

I imagine it was buried in some huge bill that was never read by most of those who voted it in.

This is just the GOP throwing pocket change at social conservatives so they can get reelected, and continue cutting billions of dollars of taxes. Some day Christian conservatives might wake up and realize the GOP is playing them for suckers. “Oh yeah, gay marriage. That’s bad. Reaaaal bad. Now just be nice and vote for me and I’ll work on ending Social Security… I mean, on stopping gay marriage!”

I’m inclined to agree. I can’t even accurately find the goddamn thing. You wouldn’t believe the number of “Title V” pages that show up under state constitutions.

This page appears to contain most of the Title V text, none of which has anything to do at all with abstinence.

On the other hand, this abstinence advocacy page mentions a 501(b) section that was not listed in the above link.

Can someone with stronger Google-Fu find the relevant section, so we can figure out who voted for it?

You know what I want? A Constitutional Amendment preventing the addition of countless unrelated clauses in a proposed law to stop this shit from happening.