No signal from Display Port on occasion--hardware or software?

I’ve had a few instances (most recently last night) of my Windows 10 computer coming back from sleep and the monitor getting no Display Port signal. I don’t think it’s the card (a GTX 1080), the cable or the monitor (a G-Sync model from ASUS) because when I hold down the power button to reset the machine (what else can I do at that point, right?) the BIOS is displayed just fine.

It must be some kind of software/drivers issue, right? Last night it was freaking me out because I rebooted it 3 or 4 times, changed the DP cable to a different port on the card, etc. and even rebooted once I’d done that, with no luck, and finally rebooted one last time and got a Windows login screen.

BTW, what’s up with Windows 10 not having an easy key that you hit while booting that brings up the choice of Safe Mode? Previous versions of Windows had that. Everything I read says that you have to ask for a safe mode boot in your previous session. What good is that if you can’t see the darn screen?

On a new system build with a reused 1080Ti I’m getting this intermittently. After a day of playing for hours in some cases. Where the monitor will go to power saving (orange power light instead of white on) for a few seconds come back and repeat. This seemed to only occur in GPU acelerated functiona like games and NVIDIA-accelerated SplashTop remote desktop. A reboot seemed to clear it but I have to dive down a deeper rabbit hole to see if it’s something recent I need a hotfix driver for.

I’m worried it’s lack of power to the GPU and/or dying monitor or GPU due to ESD.

Thanks for the reply. ESD?

Electro static discharge

I have experienced this on the dark side of Macintosh. This happens a crazy lot with an ASUS monitor, not so much with an Iiyama one and seems to be a know Mac issue, probably related to underpowered port or whatever.
But I discovered another, more widespread issue later: if you happen to be using, like me, a multiple hdmi-in adapter, it may need a “powering” device plugged in (in my case, some TV adapter I don’t use). Without it, it was hell to get the computer to display, randomly not displaying it at times for no logical reasons.

Ah, but HDMI doesn’t support more than 60 fps, right? Why did I buy this spendy G-Sync monitor then? :-)

I will try making various blood sacrifices to see if it helps.

If the monitor has a power saving mode try turning it off. My dell did something similar and that “fixed” it.

Hmm, I’ll check about that. First order of business will be to use DDU to tear out the current Nvidia drivers root and branch, then clean install them.

BTW my ASUS monitor is the PG279Q, which for some reason has a separate little power brick between it and the surge protector, unlike most monitors where the fat power cord plugs right into the monitor (as was the case with my old ASUS).

If it is the same issue power cycling the monitor worked as well, which is easier than power cycling the computer.

Actually, turning the monitor off and back on is the first thing I tried, since it had worked on previous occasions, but this time it didn’t work.

You may have to unplug the monitor too. Or, wait a day or two while the capacitors fully discharge. (This may just be a relic from the days of CRT monitors though. I dunno.)

I had a problem with it this spring, but the hdmi port was being flaky as well. Solved it by completely pulling power.