No way to view HD movies imported to an iPad via the Camera Connector? Seriously?

Decided to try an iPad-only trip recently, taking just the iPad and my Think Outside Stowaway keyboard. I used the camera kit to import some photos to show the family, and that worked great. However, though the camera kit did import the 720p movies from my Canon SD4000, it won’t actually SHOW them.

Binging and Googling seems to indicate you have to JAILBREAK your iPad so you can install a file manager, at which point you can just click the video file and the iPad will happily show it. Seriously? That’s beyond lame.

Anyone found a workaround or third-party app? I’d really prefer not to mess with jailbreaking.

(This kind of hobbled functionality is what could someday give Windows tablets a fighting chance, assuming the Windows UI gets better-optimized for touch.)

According to them, the video should play on iPad if it’s encoded in the format supported by iPad, which is probably not the case with your Canon. And if the format is not supported, jailbraking and file manager won’t help unless you install something that can play that format.

I wonder if apps like VLC have access to the Camera folder on the iPad. VLC doesn’t have it on the iPhone (it requires synching through iTunes to load in the videos) and I haven’t tried others (and don’t remember their names, hehe).

Stupid Apple should start supporting more than one video format. I wonder how Android and Windows tablets will handle it.

Video is a 720p MOV file. If I copy it to iTunes and back to the iPad (no transcoding), the iPad will play it. And others report the jailbroken iPad will too.

Maybe 4.2 will fix this…

Not allowing any access to your files, the new face of DRM.

No need for misplaced outrage. Just because it’s MOV doesn’t mean that it can be played. The MOV is just a container like AVI.

The only complaint I have at this time which is something I will need to get used to, is the movie format. H.264 MOV files are not native on media devices playing back to HDTV such as AVCHD (h.264) which is what I have with my Canon HF100 video camera. The AVCHD format is awesome. Burn to standard DVD and it plays on any blueray straight out in full HD.
The Canon SD4000 MOV format while being a container for h.264, requires conversion to MP4 or AVCHD (MTS) to be used universally. It takes about 3 minutes on my core 2 duo to convert 1 minute without altering the video quality.

Your camera is at “fault” here not the iPad.

Really, you’re blaming the camera here? This clearly doesn’t appear to be a codec problem. Even if it was it’s hardly the camera’s fault the iPad doesn’t support it.

People really need to realize that Apple wants everything sanitized before it’ll open the pearly gates to its iOS and permit users access to content, even their own content. Even though that garden is damn pretty its walls are enormous, with a giant bouncer at the door.

Apple’s closed approach will always limit its products.

Yes, it is the camera’s fault since many of these camcorders have chosen to go with a slightly customized codec for performance or whatever the reason may be, instead of opting for a more common codec. It may or may not be hardware accelerated via a chip in the camera which prevents it from being supported in full-speed natively everywhere else, including the iPad.

How is this unbelievable? 10 years ago when my Matrox Marvel G200 video capture card used a custom Motion MJPEG codec, it couldn’t be used until it was converted/transcoded.

It’s unbelievable because Denny expressly stated that that isn’t the problem.

I don’t know why I’m bothering with this but whatever. Not being able to play any media type on any device is never the fault of the media or the device that created it. It’s also not the fault of the device you’re trying to play it on either. I don’t think this is an issue, I don’t expect a device to support everything under the sun out of the box and converting to a format that the device does support doesn’t mean anything is broken or to blame, it’s just the reality of transferring data from one device to another.

However, a device not playing a media file that it does support is a problem with that device.

Apple’s closed approach of using open standards?

It’s odd, though, that the file will play fine when it’s copied via iTunes - though I do wonder if iTunes is doing something like renaming it to .mp4/.m4v or something. But then given that the vast majority of digital cameras record to some kind of AVI-encapsulated codec (in my experience anyway) maybe Apple didn’t think it was worth their while supporting it.