NOFX - Coaster

NoFx happens to be one of my favorite bands of all time. Middle School to High School to College, they have stuck with me. Whenever I felt the need to just rock out I could pop in Pump up the Valuum or So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes.

Anyways, their new album is available to stream on Myspace.

Coaster

Post your impressions/hate here.

Just listened to “We Called it America”, I’m surprised how many "Whoa-oh"s there are, they generally avoid those.

Wow, First Call sounds a LOT like Franko Unamerican.

I love NoFX, but three songs into this, I’m not impressed. :/

Creeping out Sara is pretty funny.

Sounds like the kind of album that at first makes me go, “doesn’t sound like Punk in Drublic so it sucks” but will probably grow on me. They still write catchy tunes… I’ve had initial “meh” reactions to the last few albums, but they still get played a lot.

I wasn’t impressed at first, but near the end of the album I started getting back into it. I think you need to be in a NoFx mood to love this stuff.

I really liked Wolf in Wolves Clothing because it had a lot of fast guitar. This albums seems a bit more laid back in those regards.

Going from a band making fun of “whoas” to adding them. Sad. Soul Doubt is still one of the best punk songs ever made though.

“Soul Doubt” came out before '78?

I have always liked NOFX, but have not listened to anything after The Decline. Perhaps I shall.

This seems relevant on a couple of levels:

Indiscriminate I’d rather be elite
I’ll choose my own shit scene
Unsubstantiated rumors flown are true
I’m here for me not you

Nonconglomerate I mean what I say
I’m not your fucking scape
Goat apparently I’ve alienated some
It seems my job’s half done

You’ll never understand it
Try to buy and brand it
I win, you lose, cause it’s my job
To keep punk rock elite

This music ain’t your fuckin’ industry

Neither good enough or horrible enough to be worthy of it’s own thread.

So good…

I’m kind of excited for this but not expecting anything earth shattering. The vinyl is being shipped to me (possibly arrived??) as I type this. I hope I got the bonus seven inch.

I was watching an interview with them on myspace the other day and they were asked what they thought of the new album. Fat Mike said if you like Nofx you’ll like the album and El Hefe said he likes five or six of the songs. It’s refreshing to hear a band be honest about their new album.

At first I thought this was about a rollercoaster construction game posted into the wrong forum.

Darn.

I used to like NOFX a bit back in the mid 90s. They were the best of the breed of ska/punk. Unfortunately like most alternative music in the 90s each album is three singles, one other good song you can’t play on radio and a bunch of suck that’s thrown as filler so that they can get the full $12 out of you.

This album appears to be no exception except they’re down to one single.

you, sir, are crazy. I think that when you listen to NOFX there may be one or two songs per album you don’t listen to, but everything else is awesome. Do they even play NOFX on the radio?

I would have to agree with Tom here.

I usually listen to their albums all the way through when I put them on.

I’ve been listening to this a lot the last couple of weeks. It’s a much stronger album than Wolves in Wolves’ Clothing. Songs like ‘Best God in Show’ and ‘I AM an Alcoholic’ are things I could spin all day long. Really the only track I could do without is ‘Bruce, Eddie and Paul’ but even that song is decent.

I guess I’m on a big NOFX binge as I just finished watching Backstage Passport last week too. That was pretty amusing but not as crazy as I was thinking it would be. I’m looking forward to what the extras hold. I’m hoping there is at least a little more live performance stuff on there.