Nokia dumps IE for Firefox, 55,000 times

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21381

REPORTS ON TWO Scandinavian web sites said that Nokia is pushing Microsoft Internet Explorer off its desktop PCs in favour of the Firefox browser.

That’s not going to make Microsoft very happy, if the reports are true. Just last week Microsoft said it was considering its long out of date design for IE, and would release a fresh version during the course of this year.

You can see the reports in Norwegian, here, while there’s also a report on Computer Sweden, here.

Just wanted to share that with ya’ll. (Disclosure: My Firefox t-shirt is in the mail. I’ll be wearing it while removing spyware from client’s PC’s.)

Nokia makes PCs?

(Disclosure: My Firefox t-shirt is in the mail. I’ll be wearing it while removing spyware from client’s PC’s.)

Yeah, you’re not a pathetic dork or anything.

Nope, not me!

Well, I don’t read Norwegian or Swedish but I assume it’s internal PCs. Maybe a EU member can help?

Ah, I see. So they’re making FF part of the standard desktop image for their employees. That’s substantially less earth shattering, but still a good move.

It’s called “client education”.

Also the biggest thing I got from this…

The story only mentioned the PCs used by Nokia’s 55.000 employees.

Not true apparently:

For what it’s worth, I built my girlfriend’s new computer from scratch…installed WindowsXP with SP2 (firewall on) and both Spybot and Adaware, plus FireFox, all without ever even plugging in the ethernet jack (had it all on disc).

After a month of use at her place with FireFox as her only browser and gmail her only mail access, I was just curious to check for spyware. Her system is full of it. Chock full. About a dozen actual instances above and beyond the usual crapload of cookies.

Running FireFox alone does not protect you from spyware, trojans, viruses, etc. Get yourself some other good protection.

[quote=“Jason_Cross”]

For what it’s worth, I built my girlfriend’s new computer from scratch…installed WindowsXP with SP2 (firewall on) and both Spybot and Adaware, plus FireFox, all without ever even plugging in the ethernet jack (had it all on disc).

After a month of use at her place with FireFox as her only browser and gmail her only mail access, I was just curious to check for spyware. Her system is full of it. Chock full. About a dozen actual instances above and beyond the usual crapload of cookies.

Running FireFox alone does not protect you from spyware, trojans, viruses, etc. Get yourself some other good protection.[/quote]

What kind of spyware? I know a lot of the spyware scanners will classify cookies as spyware but I don’t really worry about stuff on that level. It’s the stuff that starts changing your settings or trying to “enhance your surfing experience” that drives me nuts.

It won’t do a bit of good if ya don’t update the programs and use them at least once a week. She could also be using IM or filesharing software or download games that use Wild Tangent. Firefox can only do so much!

You were able to completely remove all references to IE in WinXP SP2?