Nolan Bushnell slaps down PS3

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=19611&hed=Atari+Founder+Trashes+Sony%2C+PS3

[i]Q: What about Sony’s PlayStation 3 Strategy?

A: I think Sony shot themselves in the foot… there is a high probability [they] will fail. The price point is probably unsustainable. For years and years Sony has been a very difficult company to deal with from a developer standpoint. They could get away with their arrogance and capriciousness because they had an installed base. They have also historically had horrible software tools. You compare that to the Xbox 360 with really great authoring tools [and] additional revenue streams from Xbox live… a first party developer would be an idiot to develop for Sony first and not the 360. People don’t buy hardware, they buy software.

Q: But what about Sony’s success with the PlayStation and PS2? They sold more than 100 million of each system.

A: It wasn’t anything brilliant that they did. With the PS and PS2 it was timing. They had the right pricing at the right time [and were] almost the accidental winner. It would not surprise me if a year from now they’ll be struggling to sell 1 million units. [Factoring in the PS3’s price], I think in the U.S. the number of early adopters you have is actually around 300,000.[/i]

Enh, he’s just mad because it doesn’t dispense cocaine out of any of its many vents.

Pfft, only if you’re dumb enough to buy the tard pack!

It may very well not do as well as the PS2, but to think that they won’t even sell one million the first year seems a bit crazy to me.

Wow, and if this was 20 years ago, his opinion might even be relevant.

And who are any of us that any of our opinions are relevant?

This man is a genius. Anyone interested in purchasing products from his most recent venture, uWink can check the website here: http://www.uwink.com/product.htm

Yeah, he never achieved anything.

Yeah K0ny, what a jackass, people who open restaurants IS BE DUMMIES YO! ps3z 4 3v3r!!

We’re nobodies, but our opinions aren’t being spread around the internet as some kind of indictment of the PS3.

Wow, someone did the restaurant/game cafe with touchscreen menu I’ve been musing about for 5 years! That’s awesome, I must go there.

I believe Mr. Bushnell is suggesting that a giant meteor will destroy the United States around 15 minutes after the lines open on November 17th. That or some other path to armageddon are the only ways they’ll run out of buyers this year.

This is unintentionally funny to me. See, my mom once opened a restaurant in Baltimore. So what you said above sort of translates into, “Your momma!” and gives me a chuckle.

I always hear this statistic thrown around that 90% of restaurants fail within the first year. My mom was fortunate enough to sell hers before it went belly up. So if Bushnell can make his thrive, more power to him. Then if he pens a scathing editorial on what diner owners are doing wrong these days, I’ll read it intently. His opinion on video games stopped being relevant to me before they started rendering them in three dimensions.

Moore, what was the point of the, “IS BE DUMMIES YO!” Was that meant to get me mad or something?

No, I think it was meant to point out how stupid your ridiculing Bushnell for opening restaurants (or rather not working in the games industry) is. And since your motive is stupid, you’d better listen to him.

Bushnell is no stranger to the restaurant biz; anyone remember Chuck E. Cheese?

Bushnell has actually achieved things, unlike most fat guys in black t-shirts here. His opinions should be given some weight.

No doubt that he has achieved plenty, but saying only 300k units sold in the US at launch (not counting if they sell out at that number) is a ridiculous claim.

also: I don’t wear black shirts.

Yeah, he’s a visionary who really knows what people wants.
Look up Chuck E. Cheese Pizza Time Theatre and Androbot to see how that went.
We can’t blame him for Atari being french - he sold it decades before that, but I don’t think he would be competing in the league of Sony, Nintendo and MS if he’d stayed in the console making business.

Bushnells views on the console business was relevant… in the early 80’s.

His numbers might be off but I think his over all point stands. The ps3 is shaping up to come in third in a two person race.