Non-zombie/dinosaur Lumines thread

I still feel like there’s a light that hasn’t switched on for me yet – my average is in the 15K range – but I’ve had two games over 50K, including my high of 65K.

At least I’ve opened 7 skins. The “Shake Your Body” theme was unbelievably distratcting. I’ve started playing with the sound off because I can’t get that bloody first song out of my head.

I really wish there were more puzzles to play through; I’m at the “clear all” puzzle, which I can only assume is the last puzzle and has a very specific solution since the same pieces seem to fall every time.

Hey Kitsune,

I enjoyed the tracks Shinin and Shake Your Body in the Lumines that I ordered a couple of Mondo Grosso cd’s off ebay this weekend. Are these guys any good or did I just purchase the Japanese equivalent of a backstreet boys cd?

How has Lumines been recieved in Japan? Is it selling well? I am wondering what the chances are of seeing another PSP game from Tetsuya Mizuguchi?

74k + change.

More importantly, however, is the fact that I unlocked a new skin in challenge mode, so I wasn’t out after all, I just misunderstood how it displays the unlocked ones. (First are challenge unlocks, second are apparently vs. mode, and they auto-adjust so you can’t see blank spaces that tell you how many are left. I hadn’t accounted for that and thought I’d got them all. Yay more songs/skins!)

I’m still sitting on 70K.

I’ve found myself getting addicted to the 60-second challenge, since the regular mode can now take 20 minutes or more for a single game. I was sitting at 37 for a while, then 44, and now I’m up to 49. Anyone else playing that mode?

Yeah I’ve been playing the 1 and 3 minute challenges a lot because challenge mode goes on forever. I’m up around 38 on 1-minute and don’t remember my 3-minute score. I also play vs CPU when I need a quick game. I don’t think I’ve passed the 4th stage yet.

The next game from Mizuguchi’s Q Entertainment is Meteos, a puzzle game for the DS that came out in Japan at the beginning of the month. Its US release date was TBA 2005 last time I checked.

Q’s next game is for the Xbox 2 but very little is known about it. Mizuguchi says that it is not like anything he’s done before. I hope we’ll hear more about it at E3.

I’m still just a Lumines dilettante, but I managed a 48k game last night. Something just clicked and I couldn’t be stopped! …until the frickin’ blocks started falling faster.

I haven’t tried a repeat performance yet, so I’m not sure if I’ve broken into a new performance bracket. But I did manage to unlock four or five skins over the course of that one game. Unfortunately, one of them is that wretched Shake Ya Booty skin. Egad. Can I delete that from my PSP?

Anyway, I rule.

-Tom

I like that skin. Between the DDR vibe it brings, and the fact that I find it pretty brilliant that that particular level has a difficulty increase because of the background music/graphics and nothing else it seemed pretty creative to me.

I dislike the one that seems to call me an ass every time I complete a block, though.

The next game from Mizuguchi’s Q Entertainment is Meteos, a puzzle game for the DS that came out in Japan at the beginning of the month. Its US release date was TBA 2005 last time I checked.

Nintendo is releasing in the US, in July if I remember correctly.

I dislike the one that seems to call me an ass every time I complete a block, though.

I KNEW that’s what he was saying! Why that little…

It’s enough to make you long for the “stinky silence” song in the first level.

-Tom

I did the same thing last night (but thankfully not w/ that high of a score!), pissed me off. What is up with that anyway? I didn’t put it to sleep or anything either.

For those curious about Meteos, 1UP has an import review of it. They liked it, though not quite as much as Lumines.

Shake Ya Body and I Hear the Music in my Soul are the best songs/skins in the game. When I play single skin mode it’s almost always one of those two.

Yeah they announced that after I made my post and I forgot to come back and update it. Thanks.

I’m really tempted to grab an import of Meteos but I hear that it’s not as import friendly as Lumines. I guess there’s an objective mode or something and you need to be able to read the descriptions. I guess I can wait until June.

Well, I’ve played 5 Challenge games so far, and have a high score of 43,482. It has a real “It’s late and I’m tired and I don’t really want to keep playing but can’t stop” aspect to it. Fortunately, the battery only has another hour or so in it, so it looks like I won’t be up until 2:45 playing it.

Up to 240k and a slew more skins opened up, but am now seeing shifting blocks every time I blink. The walls mock me. Must sleep… no… one. color. comb…

yes. they are. despite my earlier statements about waiting for the value pack to go away so I can just buy the HW and not some 50$ earbuds I’ll toss in the trash, I’ve decided that I cant fucking walk into e3 without this thing, because the small group of people I go with now all have them, and I know that will make me insane, so now I have to pick one up by mid-may.

Just to prevent insanity, you see. It’s uh, health related. Have to. No coice.

It’s not like I’m saving for a house and a wedding and a honeymoon and a car or that anyone will get mad about me dropping 500-600$ on a new toy + games and a memory card.

Yeah, I’ll be fine… I can sleep on the porch…

yes. they are. despite my earlier statements about waiting for the value pack to go away so I can just buy the HW and not some 50$ earbuds I’ll toss in the trash, I’ve decided that I cant fucking walk into e3 without this thing, because the small group of people I go with now all have them, and I know that will make me insane, so now I have to pick one up by mid-may.

Just to prevent insanity, you see. It’s uh, health related. Have to. No coice.

It’s not like I’m saving for a house and a wedding and a honeymoon and a car or that anyone will get mad about me dropping 500-600$ on a new toy + games and a memory card.

Yeah, I’ll be fine… I can sleep on the porch…[/quote]

On the (marginally existant) bright side, Dell currently has a 1GB mem card on sale for $100. (Which, price per MB, is the best deal around I think atm.)

So last night I needed to pause my game for a while so I put it in sleep mode. I came back, finished the game and got a really good score for me, 92,000 or so. Then, after the game, it loaded the old high score table and completely erased my score. Dammit!

Yeah, it seems to do this after you pause for any amount of time. However, it also asks you if you want to let it. So:

On the first screen after the game (it asks something like “Do you want to reload your high scores”) answer no.

After that it will ask you if you want to save your high scores, answer yes. This will force the current scores to save (hopefully) and let you retain your scores and skins. It’s reasonably straightforward if you think about what it’s asking and remember that you don’t want to load stuff, you want to save it. Only bit me about 5 times before I figured it out, so it must be pretty easy! :P

111k… WHY MUST YOU TURN THIS INTO A HOUSE OF LIES, CATHCART