None of my sockets work :/

We have a new apartment - yay :)

Which is wired throughout with cat 5 and coax sockets - yay :)

None of which do anything - Boo :(

Seriously, none of these sockets are live, whether for ethernet, phone or cable connection. Has anyone seen anything like that before? I took a faceplate off a cat 5 socket and I can see… wires back there, so I think the physical wiring is in place. I can see the other ends of the socket cables in the modem closet. Signal as far as the modem is fine, but the moment I hook it up to the rest of the house, nothin’. Anyone a low voltage wiring expert?

I use something way more expensive than this at work, but this one on amazon would do the job for the few times you would ever need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHCT45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B003ZUQSUI/ref=zg_bs_7701919011_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MYPXEWF750T9FNPRXW4Y

Thanks - should have said I got a cheap cable tester from Amazon and as far as I can tell from its little flashy lights the wire is fine :)

So you plugged one end into the wall, and the other side you tested wires in your closet?

That cat5 wall jack has to be going somewhere! :D

Hmm. Wonder if I got that right. I’ll try again. The other end of the cable appears to go to a 4 port Leviton gateway (which also seems fine). I’m pretty sure I tried the other end of the cable in the modem itself with no luck. Maybe I’ll just try that again too…

Thanks for your thoughts.

Here like this, you don’t want to have any hardware (switch/router/etc) on the line being tested.

Hmm. So my tester has a remote and master unit. The master has lights marked 1-8. If I have the remote connected by 1 ethernet cable to the wall jack and the master plugged directly into the other end of that cable lights 1-8 light up in sequence, one at a time.

However one of the cables going elsewhere in the house gets the same response from the tester, while the other 2 cables I have going out into the house give me nothing :/

Edit: in none of these cases do the lights on the remote light up.

Long ago, there was a project that we work on. Although the cables are rated to go more than 70m, the actual fault was in the ethernet controller on the POS machines. When cable lengths exceeded 70m, the controller did not provide enough voltage to drive the signal. This cause the POS to misbehave very intermittently.

We were pulling our hair out trying to figure out what’s wrong until it was suggested we switch the controller to 10mbit instead of 100mbit. That made the controller able to provide enough power to drive the voltage. We reported the fault to HQ and the hardware guys rectified it in the next batch of hardware.

I was just wondering if the cable lengths exceeded the specs in your case.

It does sound rather like that. But it’s not that big an apartment! I half wonder if the gateway is incompatible with the router in some way. But the phone jacks, which do not use that gateway, also seem dead.

If you plug a computer directly into modem it works, right?

Then with your tester you got positive results per lordkosc’s directions?

Then you tried using your computer instead of the tester, with the last end of the cable in the closet going directly to the modem? And you don’t get a link light or a connection to the modem?

It’s hard to determine exactly what you have done so far, plus pictures would help quite a bit so we know if you have a patch panel, couplers, etc.

I would first suspect your Leviton gateway, but again, it’s hard to tell how and what you have tested before.

My house came with CAT5 wired for phones, so I rewired them all myself for T568. It’s actual CAT5 instead of CAT5e so the speeds are not the greatest, but it works.

Yes, that’s accurate, thanks. I think I tested a tablet directly from the gateway, and that seemed to work. May have to retest that :) But the phone jacks, which I think share the cables, but not the gateway, are also not live :/

I will post pictures when I can. Alternatively if anyone knows a good LV contractor in Manhattan… :/

Odd that none of the wires seem to connect. Makes me think you’re looking in the wrong place, maybe the real end-point isn’t the modem closet but your floor’s electrical room? Weird.

Some apartment buildings can be a mess of legacy or abandoned wires multiplied by prior tenants or even landlords messing with the cables. “Don’t go to the cable company, I’ll give you all the channels for $40!”

Well weirdly enough, this was at least partially true.

2 of the cables were terminated wrongly at both ends. One wall jack has precisely 3 inches of coaxial cable behind it and nothing else. Another walljack seems to connect to… something, somewhere, but not the gateway I can see. The networking guy I had round thought there was another switch buried under later construction somewhere.

And the gateway apparently doesn’t daisy chain with the router.

And wifi just doesn’t make it from one floor to the other.

Apart from that it’s all great.

Thanks to all who offered advice.