Nope - Jordan Peele's third horror joint

I’m interested!

Us didn’t work for me and I thought Get Out was a comedy with a really bad ending.

This actually looks good though.

Does not compute. :)

I can’t wait for this and absolutely love the name. And I imagine Jordan Peele will dance around that response within the movie too.

YEP!!

I’m going to spoiler this because though I know it’s some obscure reddit persons take on the trailer, it seems strangely like something Peele would do. I have no idea who the person that posted this is:

My guess is it’s about slavery, in a way. The protagonists train horses for acting in films, and there’s a shot of what looks like a chimp reaching to touch someone’s hand, and a lady whose face looks disfigured. I’m guessing she was the chimp’s trainer/handler and it went nuts one day and mauled her.

It seems like the general plot is about this family that trains horses, and they’ve fallen on hard times, I assume they’re about to lose the ranch. And UFOs and aliens start visiting their ranch and stealing their horses. Eventually they get the idea to pair up with Stephen Yeun’s character to make a show out of it. “Come see the horse-stealing aliens!” You can see a shirt in the shot with the alien doll things that seems to suggest this.

So I’m guessing maybe they eventually try to capture one of these aliens for the show? Or maybe the aliens just decide they want to take some humans now instead of just horses. And that’s when they start getting abducted. Like Africans being visited by these strange outsiders who start forcibly taking them away on their ships. I’m guessing the chimp trainer who was mauled is foreshadowing what’s going to happen to these aliens who decided to treat people like animals and lock them in cages, etc.

I have many things I do not believe about this take on the trailer but certainly caged animals and references to slavery are right up where Peele might go with something like that.

Fair warning: I think this trailer shows way too much.

The trailer that played in the theater before Top Gun Maverick showed a lot but was still very mysterious.

Oh, hadn’t known that Michael Wincott is in this. Sweet!

I liked Nope a lot, but also realize it may not be to everyone’s expectations or comfort level. There are some interesting twists that I hadn’t quite expected, and as Jordan Peele is want to do, there is a lot more in-depth concepts going on here about spectacle, race, and exploitation–in ways I’m pretty sure some won’t like or associate with. A few connections are left to the imagination and never fully explained or revealed.

I do wish the last trailer didn’t show much, and thought that the original trailer was perfect for people going in.

Oh, see it in a big screen, one with a good–really good–audio system. You’ll thank me for it later.

— Alan

Yes the sound in this is really remarkable!

This is a hell of a lot of movie. There are lots of amazing images and interesting themes and odd character choices and perhaps some pacing problems? Overall it’s a pretty remarkable piece of filmmaking.

Can you say more about this? I am planning to take our 17 year old to see it, she can hang with suspense but she doesn’t tolerate body horror especially if it is occurring to women. Me either for that matter.

There’s not really any specific body horror except for at most two sequences–these are very slight spoilers: one of which is kind of shown in the trailer (the woman with the deformed face/exposed teeth–they do not show how it happens, however) and one that is… uh… well it involves a lot of people but it’s not graphic, just the aftermath

The comfort level really has to deal with the sounds associated with everything that happens. It can be particularly disturbing.

— Alan

This movie fell completely flat for me. Good first 40-50 minutes of setup and then incredibly little payoff. Great visuals, great audio, but it just didn’t deliver in the back half.

Thank you

Saw this. Loved it. But I have 2 questions!

What tool was OJ preparing against the UFO early into the movie? It looked like he had attached a plunger to a mirror ball similar to what spooked the horse in the beginning. What was that about?

What caused the UFO to unfurl its “final form” at the end? Because it knew stealth was no longer the answer and it wanted to appear bigger and more threatening?

We saw this and very much enjoyed it as it gave us much to think and talk about.

Like where did the initial downpour of items come from at the start of the movie? Did the Viewer migrate from another area?

That evening we watched Close Encounters of a Third Kind which was a wonderful follow up if you remember Roy’s initial encounter.

My thoughts:

I thought thie mirrorball was just OJ realizing that it doesn’t like to be seen eye-to-eye, like the horse.

For the “final shape”, I had always thought it messed up because it ingested all that extra crap like the barb wire, and was actually torn/hurt from it.

— Alan

Yeah I’m thinking it was ingested from Jupiter’s Claim in possibly one of Ricky’s first encounters with it, since you see similar stuff later on (like at the Claim after everyone gets ingested). It’s never super apparent who encountered it first, but my thinking is somehow Ricky managed to lure it first.

— Alan

I’m seeing some references that the final form is supposed to be based on a biblical angel, with references to jellyfish and squid and electric eels.

— Alan