Norabunga Returns To The US - And He's Bringing His Ambition With Him

Cowabunga!

Please don’t suck please don’t suck please don’t suck.

How did I miss this? It released four months ago and this is the first I’ve heard of it.

Because it releases September 4. :)

Look, proof of time travel!

Do you think it’s bad form to ask him who wins the pennant this year?

If anyone’s interested in seeing some game play, here’s some guy playing 2 hours of one of the early scenarios.

It’s a little tough to watch because he never turns the music down, but he does pretty much show off everything, including setting up a game, province development, the quest system, diplomacy, and combat, including siege of a castle. I’m still looking forward to playing this, there’s some stuff that looks really good like customization, historical cut scenes (which I think can be toggled off), and the quest mechanic (also optional, I think) to keep a player on track, but I see a few things that I’m not crazy about.

This seems to be a game of breadth, not depth. There’s a lot of different things you can do, but none of them seem very deep.

English voice acting is cheesy, but I think there’s an option to change it to subtitled Japanese, which would help the immersion.

You know it’s a Japanese game when you can put your military in the hands of a 12 year old girl (I’m not making this stuff up).

I just wish I could find it somewhere for less than $50. I thought GMG might have it on sale,but no dice.

AFAIK this has always been so for the series. Playing the old games the breath created depth by of itself, since you had to work with many simple pieces but make a complex strategy work.

This seems to be a more or less recent new thing…

That’s what I’m hoping.

I forgot to mention there also seems to be some CK II-style political maneuvering going on.

I get so happy every time this thread gets bumped.

I just imagine a bunch of badass samurai celebrating a glorious victory over the neighboring shogun over an enormous, animated-so-it’s-basically-just-wedges-of-whitish-goo-dripping-everywhere pizza, then leaping up to do a freeze-frame high-five while screaming “NORABUNGA!!!” complete with comic-style word overlay in bright neon. Credits.

I love you, man.

Forget that other video. This shows off all the gameplay and is a lot better.

Now I’m excited.

FYI, this has launched: http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470

This has come a long way since the NES / SNES days (though, I think I only played Romance of the 3 Kingdoms on SNES). Loved all the games on the NES though.

Downloading now.

Norabunga, baby! Gonna pick this up when I get home.

Don’t forget the pizza!

Edit: Actually, damn you all, you’ve actually sort of made me interested in this.

haha, I’m watching a livestream of it now, i loved Shogun 2, so there’s not much doubt that i will not have the willpower to withstand getting this sometime this week…

So far I haven’t had time to do anything other than launch a game and poke around for one turn. I decided to forego the tutorial and see how newbie-friendly the game really is.

The good news is there are a lot of help screens that come up the first time you play. Also, it’s a lot more immersive if you change the voices to Japanese. The game looked good and seemed stable for the all of 10 minutes I played it so far.

The not so good - The launch menu is useless. The “manual” does nothing, and while there is a button that takes you to setting graphics options, you have to set them again from the options menu within the game. Worse, they don’t “stick” and have to be reset every time. Not the biggest deal in the world, but not a great first impression, either.