The North Korea Thread

Yeah this us cultural. We have unlimited information at our fingertips, that it’s not used is also part due to the celebration of ignorance and laziness as virtues.

And groupthink.

“The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you’ve got millions of pals out there. Type in ‘Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire’ and the computer will say, ‘Specify type of goat.’”

– Rich Jeni

You go girl*

*An acceptable replacement for likes.

We need a like button.

Moron-in-chief shares our detail on nuclear missile subs in the area:

Er, duh! No harm, subs are already underwater!

Working for a STEM education outlet whose entire marketing output is now geared toward the “STEM pipeline” and “workforce preparedness” is actually slowly sucking out my soul as we give ourselves over cravenly to the corporations who spoonfeed us a pittance of funding each year.

This is a non issue from what I have read. Looking into the details more the US already publicly announced it (at least a CNN article last month talked about) the fact that we have nuclear powered subs off the coast of Korea.

No like button to mash, unfortunately.

It is though. He’s a conflicting article to that point:

To sum it up as someone who served in the Navy, it’s akin to saying, “we have stealth bombers in the air, right now the are near here …”

The operation of a submarine RELIES on stealth and the enemy not knowing where they are. Sure, the region might be close enough to narrow down. And the fact that we might have -some- might narrow things down and be perhaps a reasonable conversation with an ally. But, “we have two,” and, “near North Korea.” You can see where that might be a problem with the enemy knowing that. Or that it might be a problem to say that publicly where the press will pick it up and now the whole world knows about it.

I served on ships, and even then, ships movement was NOT to be discussed if at all possible. It is operationally classified information. There is and was a huge difference between, “the such and such carrier group has left port bound for whatever sea,” and, “the such and such carrier group is off the coast of Libya.” Sure, things like that eventually get out, but you don’t play your hand on the table until everyone has already seen it anyway.

As a former submariner, I second your post. Or, you go girl. Subs rely on sneakiness. Silent Service, Mr. President.

There is no good reason to ever tell anyone where your subs are.

I think other Presidents that did not serve have made operational leak mishaps as well, but I’m having a hard time remembering some of them. Trump seems inclined to ignore what some might tell him and use it as a bragging point though. I don’t wish anything bad to happen but if it did, I can imagine it would be a big enough uproar that he would pay attention. It’s like teaching a 5-year-old. “Don’t touch the stove, it is hot!”

He wouldn’t. He would blame the media for reporting it.

I don’t know if this Twitter account is legit or not but it’s hilarious. North Korea is the best Korea.

Jesus…

No, it is not. It is a parody account run by Patrick, formerly of Popehat. C’mon people, this is one of the longer running, bigger such accounts.

Granted Patrick is kinda a dick, and actively enjoys trying to dupe mainstream news sources into treating it as a credible account.

Well NK does have an official channel up on YouTube.

Err well they did have one until last December

I like to pretend it’s real. The world is a much funnier place that way.