Northgard - Age of Empires, Vikings only

Yeah, Settlers 2 and 3 are a couple of my all home favorites. Anything that scratches a similar itch piques my interest

Honestly, this game and Kingdoms and Castles are completely different from one another in play and scope. It’s like asking if Rocket League is like The Witcher 3. ;)

Well you are playing for map control vs the AI so you can’t just sit back and hope to win, but I haven’t felt rushed, other than not having enough food saved for one winter.

I loved these games so much, Serf City was one of my first full introductions into City Builder genre outside of Sim City. They always got knocked for being slow, but I loved the slow leisure, just watch my little serfs grab a piggy an walk it over there. Oh and the people that like to go after MP players, yeah Serf City was MP from the start and co-op, that’s what Joy Sticks were for, not this flight sim stuffs :-).

I do like Settlers 7 too though, it’s just very… different from the rest of the series.

Well I don’t require it to be exactly like the previous Settlers games, it’s just 7 is, I really don’t know how else to describe it other than it’s more like a board game than the free open map and kind of slower pace of the other ones.

Oh I know, I have dozens of hours spent playing Settlers 7, finished every campaign and DLC mission. :)

Northgard does have different victory conditions, not sure if it was mentioned before, so you don’t just have to kill all your neighbors to win.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was more of a … what game do you see holding your attention for longer? The knock I’ve seen against Kingdoms and Castles is that once you’ve built your city up the motivation to play it again can be a little low. Then again, it is less than $10.

I’m thinking of picking up Northgard while GMG has their voucher. 20 friends already own this but not many hours played so far - so not many impressions yet.

I’m not big on RTSs anymore, but this sounds like a slower paced game with more development. For some reason this game just sounds cool. I’d only be playing single player, so Not sure if it would be worth it or not.

I’ve heard good buzz about it, but…early access.

I’ll wait until release. standard policy.

It is. The campaign’s coming, but you can currently play SP skirmish against the AI. From the devs:

What a year! At the beginning of 2017, Northgard was about to start its 6-months Early Access period. At the time, the game was supposed to be a fun, solo strategy game with 4 clans and ShiroGames was only a team of 9. It soon became clear that the game would be much more than that. To match the new ambitions of our little Vikings, the Early Access period has been doubled, and the team grew.

Today, after 10 months and almost 500k unit sold, Northgard has 6 clans, a Multiplayer mode with dedicated server coming in January and a lot of new tiles, units and buildings. The 15 person team now gets ready for the official launch of its baby. In January, we’ll launch the dedicated servers, and we’ll open access to the test version of the campaign! We cannot wait to have your feedback on these, as we worked hard to make them as enjoyable as possible!

Really sorry that there is no pause in single player. I watch the Let’s Plays and it looks like a very neat game, but it is obvious to me that the player needs to make prompt decisions based on icons on the map – and even in Civ, which I have played upwards of a thousand hours, I have to stop and pore over hills and districts to make out what I am looking at. Obviously thousands of people like RTS time pressure on gameplay, but my experience is that if I can’t turn it into a quasi-turned based game, it’s going to be pure frustration.

Price increase happening TODAY. Also you can enter open BETA for existing owners.

As we planned when starting the Early Access period, we will be raising Northgard price on Steam from 19,99€ to 27,99€ starting this Friday January 19th. Be sure that there will not be further price raise when the game is officially released! We are also planning to release a Deluxe version of the game, including the Development Artbook and the complete OST!

Thank you so much for your support, you guys are the best! <3

Checked and the game is still $15ish at humble:

I saw your post and almost went and immediately bought it. The reviews are still very positive. Some complaints were that the AI was pretty bad - and they went for disabled victory conditions. Some thought it was too simple and that they didn’t like the combat.

I’m tempted with the price increase. I wish they had a sale on steam right now and I’d probably use some of my card-selling wallet money on it. If I distract myself with something else I’ll let the price increase take effect and then I won’t even need to think about it until the next sale :-)

It also doesn’t see, like there has been anyone here playing it much to either talk me off the ledge or push me over :-)

I own this and I played a bunch of games when I first had it. All you can play is skirmish maps which is probably why it seems to have dropped off. Each skirmish is somewhat similar to the last especially once you’ve worked out a way to tech up and expand. I definitely plan to jump back in when the campaign is released. It is definitely worth the 15 dollars in my opinion. But the downside of buying early access games is that the content is limited and you can easily run out of it. Same thing happened to me with They are Billions, great game but once I beat it there’s no reason to play it over and over until more content is released.

Thanks. Since I’ll only be doing single player I’m probably better served by waiting for the campaign to be released and see if it is any good. It’ll hit the $15 price point again.

Yeah, waiting till the Summer Sale is never a bad thing. :)

The campaign, and the full release of the game, will be available on March 7th, marking the end of Northgard Early Access period!

Is Murtoch’s saga going to be released as DLC?

There is talk about DLC for a game still in early access? Kind of skeevy and gross.

It is out of early access, here are the patch notes: