Northgard - Age of Empires, Vikings only

I vaguely remember there being a tutorial message about this but I can’t find it documented anywhere: how do you tell a mine whether to do stone or iron?

Let’s pretend that, as established at the beginning of this thread, I played and loved Settlers 2 and 3, but never tried 7. Is this game for me? Assuming what I want to play is Settlers 2 but with pretty graphics, vikings, and modern day quality of life improvements.

Yes, I’ve read most of the thread over the course of the last year. Forgive me if I missed a salient detail or two while skimming it again this week :)

Who are those people?

A very young Tom Brady and his mentor?

I obviously have a lot more to learn. I played a skirmish game last night and I was at about 500 fame and they were up around 1000

I think it’s from the movie (and I use that term loosely) The Room.

Are mines dual-role? I thought there were Stone Mines and Iron MInes? I’m only going by some videos I watched though, so I could be wrong.

I guess you can raid other players by ship? Little green bastard started trading with me, and a few seconds later he has troops in my land with the town hall.

Tom streamed this tonight and won, even if it was on a lower difficulty setting. Will give you a good idea of what the single-player non-campaign gameplay is like when he posts it as a video.

I like campaigns though, usually, and appreciate the slow introduction of game play options as you go in tutorial type campaigns like this one. Playing the 3rd mission I know what I am doing now and have a plan of action which is adding to my enjoyment of it.

A couple of things I am not getting, it seems having a villager gathering food gets you just as much food as someone fishing, or plowing a field. At least it’s not much of a difference. I know there are other advantages, such as fishermen aren’t penalized in the winter, but otherwise I am not sure going for a food generating zone is that big of a game changer. I haven’t really worked out how the numbers add up.

Is there a quick way to see what buildings are fully worked and what ones are not? For instance I am losing food, and across my 8 or so zones I can’t tell quickly what buildings are fully manned or not to make changes quickly.

You get much more food from dedicated food producing workers – farmers, hunters, fishermen.

And that gets really important once you can build silos. Silos only improve food output from specialized food workers. Once your little empire starts to have a larger population, you’ll need that production to survive the winters.

Can stone and iron occur in the same territory? I haven’t seen that. But if it happens, I’m guessing your miners grab both? At any rate, the nodes will be depleted soon enough, so it’s not really an issue.

Foraging villagers get you 4 food. This is only slightly less than what you get with farms and hunting early on, but the impact of winter hits foraging harder than other food gathering. But the bigger factor is that you can improve production of farming, hunting, and fishing with upgraded buildings, silos, iron tools, and lore. Foraging will only ever get you four food per villager.

Yep, the info tags show you how many Vikings are working a node. The I key toggles info tags if you’re not seeing them.

-Tom

Thanks guys, very helpful. Don’t think I am seeing the info tags, will definitely look to turn those on.

For anyone else that wanted to know, this is the perk for the clan of the Raven. They can build a harbor and send mercenaries to attack.

The campaign balance is a bit wonky. The third mission was a slog, I needed >160 minutes to win. The enemy attacked me everywhere, sometimes they were sending raids every 30 seconds, in addition to the normal ground armies. So it was hectic, having to repair stuff, re-send villagers to some jobs, training soldiers, trying to defend in 2-3 places at the same time.

I colonised a sector with one iron deposit and four stone. No matter what I did, the building would always quarry stone.

Another thing that wasn’t quite obvious is at the training camp there is a button there to buy a warchief for 150 krowns and 5 iron. Didn’t have him at all in my 1st win, and didn’t remember until almost the end of my 2nd win that I could do that. They make dealing with creeps much easier.

I figured the longship dock would build boats so you could explore the oceans and attack the enemies by sea, neither of which I cared about. Apparently I need to be using them to send out expeditions to gain money? Money is always a huge issue for me, so that must be why.

The campaign isn’t really a tutorial, because it doesn’t cover stuff like this. At least it doesn’t in the first 3 campaign missions. It doesn’t teach you the game, it just gives you progressively more hostile maps.

And thanks Tom, the info overly is extremely helpful. That should really be on by default.

Have to say, I am enjoying the game now. I am horrible at it, as I am still learning everything, but learning it is fun.

They get you money, and either fame or lore. So if you are going for a wisdom or fame win they are handy to have. I haven’t tried for a trade win yet, so not sure if that is just clan of the Raven, or anyone with lighthouses.

I think it gets you fame or lore, your choice. One of the factions –
the ravens, I think? – get some additional option for mercs, but I forget what it does. You can also use boats to accrue points for the commercial victory.

For money, you need markets and trading posts.

-Tom