Nostalgia, Gaming, and You!

Oh yes, I actually have it.

But sadly, I found out that there are updated versions of the game with new characters, so every time I try playing it, I feel like something is missing…

But it rocks.

Ah… there are three new characters in the Game Boy Advance remake. That’s the one you want if you want those.

But I am not interested in getting a GBA, so I will just leave it.

Having beaten it once already, I am okay with not playing it again.

Aw man, everyone should have a GBA. Perfect little time killer.

Game Boy Player for Gamecube is right up there as a GBA alternative too. :)

As someone who just re-acquired a GBA a few months ago, I agree.

Still have my original DS.

The Arcade Archives series that’s available on all the major consoles is a real treasure and they just added their first Konami game in awhile this week, Time Pilot! It’s easily among my favorite arcade games of all time because it’s so simple and pure but plays like a dream too. I bought the Switch version so I could play it with the FlipGrip, but it looks great on a TV too.

I was briefly in the top ten in the world…

I also picked up OutRun on sale this week for $5.99. If you haven’t looked at the Sega Ages series on the Switch, you definitely should. M2 is doing the ports and they are fantastic. I already basically owned this one since it’s the 3DS version brought to the Switch, but it’s as brilliant as ever. OutRun is still exhilarating all these years later.

Why would I pay for outrun, when I can play it in half a dozen Yakuza games I already own?

(Mostly joking, but some of these games have been released so many times, I wonder who continues buying them).

This is the definitive version outside an arcade machine. It has a filter that makes it look just like playing on a CRT. It also runs at 60fps instead of the original’s 30. Online leaderboards are there, too. Additional music is added as well as remixed versions of the originals.

It’s $8. Totally worth it for anyone who loves it with no need to start up Yakuza to play it. Also portable on Switch of course.

Congrats, that’s impressive!

Capcom announced their entry into the retro console market:

It includes some things that I don’t think have ever been released outside of arcades, like Mega Man Power Battles, and other stuff that I assumed was in licensing hell, like Alien Vs. Predator. If they tossed Cadillacs and Dinosaurs in there, I think that would really be something.

I’m not sure what to make of it. I’m pretty much exactly in the pocket for it, as a 90s arcade CPS/CPS2 kid. But, at $200, is the value proposition there? There’s arcade quality hardware, but at that price, maybe I could just buy those parts off the shelf and hook up a MAME-Raspberry Pi? Clearly the SNK Mini is setting the price for it, and I guess it’s better value than that. Not sure what to make of the “games pre-loaded” language, im not super into the idea of spending $200 to buy more games.

My initial reaction to the design was that it’s hideous (that looks like a render, so I’m unclear on whether that’s the final design). But, I’ve kinda warmed to it. I could see it being mounted on a wall as a (gaudy, but kinda cool) decoration when not being used.

With dual sticks, I think that’s quite a cool proposal. I want to know the size of the thing though.

I didn’t take the time to extrapolate the measurements, but if someone wanted to, in that video, they briefly show the ports on the back, which are standard-sized, so you could get a pretty close estimate. Taking that into account, it’s not as big as I’d hoped, but might be adequate, especially if the sticks and buttons are top quality. And they had better be arcade machine quality for that price. But if they are arcade quality, it would be very tempting.

Also, I would hope it would have some weight to it, especially if two players are playing. Otherwise, you’d need to mount it to something solid.

They have already confirmed Sanwa parts. It’s expensive because it has quality inside.

That said, I’m disappointed. Some of those games have never come home before legally. Put them in a bundle on Switch for $40 and I’m buying it. This is crazy for someone who already owns multiple arcade sticks. :-/

That arcade stick is cool for nostalgia-heads but my god it is ugly.

I disagree with the catholic church about what the the deadly sins.

I don’t think lust is a sin, or envy. Is what you do with lust or envy. With lust you can make babies, and babies are not a bad thing. With envy you can choose you improve yourself, that again is not a bad thing.

But nostalgia? :P nostalgia. Is the worst thing.

Edit:
toned down the post a 1%

OK.45

{Koan of Teiman}

/enlightened

Wow, I can barely see the buttons on that thing.