Nostalgia, Gaming, and You!

Could two machines be linked to play versus?

No idea. But it would be glorious.

You’re getting cruel, Sark. Cruel, and needlessly sadistic.

Thank you, Master Control.

No. It was a solo game only. That cabinet is fantastic, too. The use of blacklighting inside created an incredible space for what was also an excellent game.

A $7 part that makes for an incredible sense of place.

http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/1072/18-black-light-bulb.htm

Galloping Ghost had it but I can’t remember if it was an environmental or a regular stand up now?

Upright…
https://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/qr/discsoftron/cabinet.html

Anyway, here’s a list of 22 places you can find it.

http://www.aurcade.com/games/discs-of-tron

Super excited this is back for 2019 and with some of the best personalities too!

https://horaro.org/onecreditclearmarathon/schedule

Pasky is a hoot. Marty Moinklers had probably the best line of the last one despite his failure…

“I signed up for Ninja Spirit because I fucking hate myself.”

Everyone gets one chance. If they blow it, it’s a fail! We could have a pool on number of successful runs when it’s done? 61 games. How many will get a 1CC? Runs are done live. Some of these games are just insanely hard to 1CC and usually they’ll tell you all sorts of interesting things about the game and how they’re playing it to get the 1CC. I’ve seen Pasky playing Sengoku 3 on stream in the last six months. He’s definitely been practicing.

When my buddy and I get together to do some gaming we always play Robotron: 2084. Neither of us are old enough to be nostalgic for it, but everything about the game is perfect.

It really is. I always play it when I find it because nothing really comes close to the original machine. I always thought the joysticks and where the monitor is positioned standing in front of it was kind of perfect to suck you in, but even via emulation the genius of the game still shines.

Oh wow, I assumed it was just Shmups, but it’s all kinds of arcade games. This sounds super neat. Where else are you going to see a Cadillacs and Dinosaurs speedrun?

CADILLACS & DINOSAURS (JACK) [HARDEST DIFFICULTY]

Should have been called “Zen: 2084”

That weekend was a real treat last year, so glad to see it done again!

They actually didn’t do the real 1CC last year, just an impromptu playthrough of a bunch of games IIRC. 2017 was the last official one.

You can go back and watch pretty much any game from before. They have all the runs cataloged and separated by game if you look at the YouTube channel where the teaser video is located.

@CLWheeljack, that’s one thing I loved about it. One guy beat New Zealand Story last time which has this crazy path to a quick ending. It was really fun to watch all the different types of games and how to play them to win without losing all your lives.

They’ve got Crossed Swords and The Super Spy in this one and both of those are awesome early Neo Geo games with the “through the body” perspective sort of like a first person shooter.

Even though it was a fail and I’ve probably posted it before, Pasky and Juno983’s Final Fight co-op attempt was one of the funniest ones.

I have a very vague inclination to 1CC some arcade game as like a bucket list thing, but I haven’t decided on which one I’d want to do it with.

You are right: but 2018 in that period was such a total blackout here for a variety of reasons, it just didn’t count!

Same here. I actually started messing with some games to find one I could handle, but never stuck with anything long enough to feel like it was possible. It’s still on my list, though. :)

I mean, technically I’ve done it with Sega Rally as I can complete all four courses before time runs out. That’s a 1CC, but nothing I’m too terribly proud of as an accomplishment.

I guess I can Hyper Viper Beam Abyss to death in MvC2, but I don’t think fighting games count, and I’m not especially proud of that either.

They count, but since usually they go for the hardest difficulty, that puts a lot of them out of the course since the last bosses are usually showstoppers.

The only coinop game I’ve ever 1CCed was Strider, but I was young, that was on normal difficulty (ew!), and that might be one of the shortest arcade games that features sound ;)
Ah yes, some Outrun courses too. Probably doesn’t count :O

I got Karatedo, one of my favourite arcade games and still one of the funniest versus games to play, on the Switch Arcade Archives. It was my first purchase from that collection, and I must say I am totally surprised by the quality of it. Every nifty settings I wanted is there, and the sound reverb option is suprisingly fun to tweak with to get that arcade machine “sound”.
I am now resisting the urge to get the dozen games I added to my wishlist from that collection.

Arcade Archives is excellent, and they support the FlipGrip too! I love having the worldwide leaderboards. I own…

Neo Geo Last Resort
Neo Geo Top Hunter
Vs. Excitebike
Donkey Kong
Time Pilot

I think I have about ten others on my Wish List. They rarely if ever go on sale so buying at full price is ok if you want to play them.

There are so many lovely games, the starting screen’s interface makes me regret even more there isn’t a centralized launcher for them.

I checked out the online leaderboards, and boy, is that trouble. They only list the worldwide top 100 scores!
I promptly grabbed Crazy Climber, and this makes many more games a lot more appealing to me now.
That sort of detail is what makes those arcade games alive again, compared to dry emulation: bringing back that silly, kiddish competition spirit that made each machine feel that bit more alive in the actual place.

I’ll try to only grab one per month. That sort of thing may escalate too fast for my budget!