Nostalgia, Gaming, and You!

That looks a lot more comfortable than my current lying position stuck with a couple of pillows.

Do you have experience with an arcade style joystick for the Switch? I’m considering buying one next year, but a lot of what I see are DIY style designs, where you basically buy the chassis and then have to buy the buttons and sticks elsewhere, which is quite a bother in my country.

I do not, but if I went that route I’d probably get a good stick for the PS4 or Xbox and then a Brook adapter to use it on the Switch. You’d kinda kill two birds with one stone that way because you’d be able to use it in various fighters/arcade style games on other machines. Typically PS4/Xbox sticks work on PCs just fine too with no adapters needed.

I have an Xbox 360 stick I use with the PS4 via a Brook.

Thank you, I had no idea this was a possibility. I’ll remind me to look into this when the time comes!

@Mike_Cathcart uses a Brook with his Switch I think. Xbox to Switch IIRC.

Yeah I have 2 PS4 to Switch Brook adapters for fight sticks and the wireless adapter for the Xbox 1 elite controller that it into a universal controller for PC/Switch/XB1/PS4.

The Arcade Archives is having its first sale ever, and not a slight one: 50% off Moon Cresta, Kid no Horehore Daisakusen, Terra Cresta, Ninja-kun, Crazy Climber, Sakusenna Ragnarok, Sonic Wings 2, Sengoku Densho, Metal Slug and The King of Fighters '94.
May there be a weekly rotation on that one!

Nice! That’s not the first, though. They’ve had some games on sale in the past, but maybe only Neo Geo stuff.

That’s a quality list! I will definitely get a few of those.

EDIT: I think the sale is only on Xbox. I typically only buy them on Switch. Thanks for the update though!

It’s on both the Switch Japanese and European stores, maybe there wil be a slight delay on the American one because of date issues? It began with an unusual timing, around the middle of the day there.
They claim it is the first time they are having one on the Japanese store, but I should have known better, them filthy liars!

Ah! I’ll keep an eye out then. Maybe it is the first time on the JPN store? I know they’ve discounted the Neo games in the US because I think I bought Top Hunter when it was on sale.

I noticed Baseball Stars 2 is in the list on Xbox. Needless to say, I am a fan. :)

@Left_Empty, the sales have now arrived in the US!

Hurray!
I grabbed Metal Slug (doh!) and The King of Fighter '94, which is so bugged and unbalanced but one of my favourites.
I might grab that Horehore Daisakusen thing… No idea what it is, looks like some kind of top view mix of Lode Runner and Pengo.
I love the ultra reverb setting of those collections so much: set to the max on my headphones, it gives me the impression the sound is coming from everywhere in the room. It sounds a bit muffled at first, but the sensation is incredible thereafter.

Just in case anyone’s wondering what the hell we’re talking about…

…which looks really good! I have never played this. It seems to be a combo of Heiankyo Alien, Lode Runner, Bomberman, Tutankham, and Druaga. It also has some pretty good sound and music! Definitely a lost gem from that period. Nichibutsu had some interesting games back then. I used to play Crazy Climber a lot.

KoF '94 is the only one I own on cartridge, mainly because of price. I love it, though. America Team is so underrated. I was very glad they returned in '98. Heavy D! is one of my all-time favorites. He’s just too cool!

The teams were really great in that one. Many were lost or never the same after this one: Heidern, the Korean weirdos that almost came out of nowhere, Heavy D and Lucky Glover, Goro Daimon’s invincible mode, King’s crazy reverse dragon punch spamming, Athena’s impossible fury…
There was just a genuine wackiness in the design of this game and of Samurai Showdown 2 that I feel was never matched on the same level — it felt often engineered afterwards, while there was really a crazy enthusiasm in both those games.

The current 3D Samurai Shodown feels the most like these old games to me. It’s a really solid design if you haven’t played it. That’s probably because of the old school developers that were involved in creating it. SS2 is so ridiculously good. I still play that with my son regularly. He loves Caffeine Nicotine.

I agree though that KoF has had its ups and downs. I’ve played them all. '98 is still the one I probably enjoy the most whether it’s OG or redone in Ultimate Match. 2002 Unlimited Match is up there too, as is XIV. I am very excited to see XV.

Yes 1998 felt like the '94 that could be played in tourney. I felt it was quite snappy after 95 and 96 (was there a 97?). It’s the last one I played “seriously” (by that, I mean that I actually studied combo), but those combos were getting a bit too technical for my shaking hands.
Garou has been our single favourite fighting game with my wife since. It’s relatively simple while featuring most modern advances.

That new Samurai Showdown has been announced for the Switch, I’ve seen! But I wonder how that will fair technically.

The only ACA NeoGeo’s I’ve actually purchased are Garou and KoF 2002. I was torn between 2002 and '98, but `98 is actually the one I played most in arcades, and I regret not getting that one.

I haven’t bought any of the fighting games on Switch yet. I think mainly because I own them elsewhere already or I didn’t have the controller for them at the time of release. With the M30 now I do have something perfect for them but a lot of my arcade Switch time is portable. That’s usually JoyCon play.

Garou and one of ‘98 or ‘02 would be my picks for non-weapons fighters though.

@Left_Empty I’m definitely interested in how Sam Sho turns out on Switch. I hope they can pull it off.

My travels are limited to my bed lately, so I have the best of both worlds: the awesome picture of the portable screen, and the M30 in my hands!
The Joycon are nifty for Outrun and Virtua Racing though (and Zelda, but that’s another matter).
It may sound like I am kidding, but I really appreciate the luxury of being able to set the screen independantly of the pad, after years bent over portable screens. Or, in other words, aging sucks.
Oh, I grabbed Horehore with my extra points… and wow, that’s one brutal game. Add Pacman to the list of inspiration (although, I guess that doubles with Heiankyo Alien). The areas are massive. And you weren’t kidding: that’s one heck of a soundtrack!
Also to note: unlike the early Neogeo releases, this one got the sharp scanline filter as an option. I really wished they’d include the option in the earlier games.

Reminder that the 1CC marathon has just begun. https://www.twitch.tv/1ccmarathon
You can check local time schedule here. https://horaro.org/onecreditclearmarathon/schedule
I have to do stuff, but can’t pull my eyes away from the screen @_@

(and that Rush & Crash action is something!)
(Seriously, catch a replay of that one, it’s something!)

I’ve been busy today so finally got to put it on. Double Dragon… never in a million years did I think this could be beaten on one credit.

I created a thread for it… to bring it to wider attention…

Sirtech Origin and Microprose were my Nintendo