Nostalgia, Gaming, and You!

Forgot about that backward compatibility, never owned a Wii.

SNES for all the classic JRPGs. Was going to say for Nintendo games (Zelda, Metroid, Marios), but you probably have access to those on the Wii (or Switch if you have that).

We were actually just gifted a Switch I’ve just not set it up yet.

I hadn’t heard of that new Game & Watch either.

Loved these before my hair went grey:

I also had the “barcode battler” which sorta counts as one? I’m more tempted than I should be on the new one, but I also think I’d also be bored in 10 minutes. :/ Wish they included more G&W-type games. NES Mario 1 & 2 isn’t something I’d replay over and over.

Ah, sorry, I meant the closing of the cover to put the console into sleep mode. I don’t know if it was a thing for the GBA in there already, but was curious if such a thing existed for the GB. I’d love to be able to put GB games on pause at any time.

Meanwhile, a picture of the adorable Povkiddy v90

I’ve still got a bunch of those in a cabinet somewhere. I don’t consider myself a graphic whore, but wow, last time I fired one of those up, it was tough, especially realizing that I kept them all because I loved them, and just knew I’d want to play them again someday. :)

My favorite always was this Coleco-branded game: (Wiki link) OMG 1979. I would have been 19 at that time, and IIRC, I paid $34.99 for that thing, which was a small fortune for me back in 1979. What would that be, something like $70 today?

Anyway, it still works (it’s actually still in pristine condition after all these years), although I’m sad I didn’t keep the box or instructions. Thing is, it takes four C batteries, and I never have C batteries around the house, and I hate to buy 4 of the damn things just to try it out again, so I never do. Fun, fun game though. It played well, ramped up the skill level very quickly. All games thus were very, very short. Maddening, yet difficult to put down.

That looks like a lot of fun! I would’ve enjoyed Alien Attack too.

Watched the Mega Man on youtube… 5 minutes for a full playthrough. I wonder how it kept me entertained for hours. My old mario looked good in video reviews. I’ll pull that out for a bit when I find it.

A few of the old Tiger handhelds got re-released. Amazon has them if anyone is interested:

• Little Mermaid
  • Sonic 3
  • Transformers
  • X-men

My eyes!

The only games I have purchased in the current Steam Autumn sale are the Master Chief Collection and Black Mesa. So many new games that I have no interest in playing.

wrong thread, friendo

I’m planning a move across the country and most of my retro games are on the chopping block. Keeping my favorites of course.

How is PS2 emulation these days? Pretty good? I’m tired of those memory cards.

I don’t know the state of PS2 emulation, but I highly recommend asking in this thread at RGB.

You’ll get good answers from people who have experience with it and follow that sort of thing closely.

Don’t sell stuff you may want to play later. Prices are going up all the time. PS2 is just entering that phase of increasing value. Use http://www.gamevaluenow.com to value your stuff.

PS2 emulation is really good, you can even play most PS3 games via emulation now.

Most perform super well, but I’m still holding out hope for Red Dead Redemption at a decent framerate.

The PCSX2 wiki is also good for a big dump of compatibility data.

My sister this year finally decided she wanted the SNES Classic. Not wanting to part with mine or pay the scalpers 100% markup I went with a RetroPie solution and SNES-style shell. Shell arrives tomorrow, however setting up the Pi was suuuper easy. Would recommend for a budget emulation solution if the MiSTer is more than you’re wanting to spend.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

I had only posted Clock Tower for PS2 so far. Got 5 or 6 instant “Is this still available?” messages offering half of what I wanted. Had fun telling them someone came by and bought all my horror games for a couple hundred. Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, etc. Not that I owned them of course ;)

That link was super handy @DaveLong. A game collector came over to pick up Final Fantasy Tactics. I ended up selling him 6 more I wouldn’t play again at that site’s prices. The only one I think I’d miss was Legend of Mana, but I always got bored an hour into it.

Anyone with a reasonable amount of games should at least do some searching on there before letting games walk. Some things you might not think are valuable are and vice versa.

I’ve got my whole collection in there so I have some idea of its value at all times.

Or just handing it to people you’ll know will enjoy the gift. It is what I’ve been doing, after being quite sour selling games when I was young. The latest I parted with was just a couple weeks ago, a Supergrafx Ghouls’n’Ghost I gave to one of my favourite streamers — who also happens to hold the world record speedrun for it.
Not the best tactics in a hurry though, as I confess that I have still stuff left over after all those years.

I’m a little curious, is there a reason why these aren’t worth more? Most of my PS2 stuff is still at the same sale/clearance prices I bought them at like 13 years ago.

It depends on the games, but basically it’s not old enough, or scarce enough yet. PlayStation 2 was a very successful console and sold a lot of games. It was more ubiquitous than probably any other console before it. The games that are valuable now (God Hand, Samurai Western…) were things that people didn’t find when they were new and sold poorly. Atlus games have value, but again, niche titles that were printed in lower quantities.

By comparison, Sega stuff is now going through the roof. While at the time they were successful or at least competitive, so much of that catalog on all their systems is great and now very scarce. I say that as someone who visits retro stores all over the country when I travel. You just don’t see some games used anywhere and ebay is the only option. There is still a lot of PS2 stock in retro stores, and anything that was successful was printed in such quantity that it’s just super easy to find and not worth much because of that.

As another comparison, Gamecube games are getting up there, and have the same age as PS2. It’s again due to scarcity and to quality of the games. Whlie places like Qt3 were calling it “kiddie” back in 2003, lots of people really loved those games, and now they want them back in their collections if they sold them years ago. They made far fewer copies due to sales of the console itself, so their value is going up significantly.

This is it really. I worked at an EB during the PS2 era and there was NO shortage of copies of most games at. All. It’s still the biggest selling console ever, so there’s still likely plenty of supply out there.