Nostalgia, Gaming, and You!

Is there any meaningful reason to prefer a PS2 Phat over the PS2 slim? Unlike PS3, I don’t remember if there’s anything that was cut from the original, other than maybe a useless firewire port.

The network adapter and with it the hard drive slot. Since FFXI is no longer operable on PS2 I don’t believe there are any 100% legal needs for it.

Oh, and 8bitdo announced their new controller today. Fully customizable mappings, compatible with xinput, dinput, Android and Switch, programmable macros and back paddles.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

I worked at an EB when the PS2 slim came out, and everyone made a big deal about it being less fail-prone than its larger predecessor.

I use a PS2 slim for playing PS/PS2 games, I think it’s great. No problems so far and it’s been jeez, over ten years of use.

You know what the biggest tragedy is? I had no idea Colony Wars could use the analog sticks until today.

I’d have to fall down a rabbit hole to find the model number but one of the fat ones is more sought after than all others and I think it has to do with the picture quality it outputs.

So yes, there is one that’s “better” than the others. Also. I think PS1 games look better on the thick ones than the slims. Another rabbit hole you can enjoy but I’m not gonna look it up right now.

C’mon man!

Hey when I tried it it only worked with the D-Pad! I didn’t know about what the stupid Analog button did.

This is very exciting. Also announced today alongside their new Apple Arcade game. This is coming to consoles…

Nice. That looks like the rare bullet hell shooter where the player is the cause of the bullet hell, not the enemies.

This arrived today…

…and it is glorious!

The production quality is insanely good. Disc 2 is like the soundtrack of my life for a certain period of time. Lots of love went into making this and it was worth the one month wait for it to arrive from Japan. Amazing.

Resident retro guy again… I thought a few of you might enjoy this…

My Sega CDX which has been my primary Genesis and Sega CD for years now is out for repairs and the CD drive in it needs replacing now too. It’s waiting on a delivery from Hong Kong so it’ll be awhile.

In the meantime, I have wanted to play my Sega CD games so I decided to fill the hole in my Sega hardware collection with a Model 2 Genesis and Sega CD!

I got a nice price and it’s a single owner system so in excellent condition. Will be putting on the 32X and have a true tower of power up and running!

Nice!

Thanks! I had to basically go dumpster diving in my own basement to find the power supply for the 32X since it’s been a long time since I’ve had it hooked up. 20 years in the same place can be brutal that way after raising three kids.

Just discovered this 2011 interview with Sandy White, author of the glorious Spectrum title Ant Attack. Appears to have written the Assembly in his head :)

Amused he used to go into John Menzies on Princes St in Edinburgh and spread out the cassettes of his game. That’s probably where I bought it :)

Dreamcast. 22 years old today. Still great.

I still love my Armada machine. ;)

Hear, hear. Wish I hadn’t sold my maracas and broadband adapter.