Nostalgia, Gaming, and You!

BUT WHAT IS THAT FIFTH LIMB?

Ghost or octopus?

You’d think, but no. That is a Killer Crud.

That’s Chewbacca.

It’s all psychobabble rap to me

And the only one that made a nod to the tabletop with respect to loot (dividing up the spoils of the “adventure” -everything you did between leaving and returning to any town - into shares and apportioning those shares as you saw fit).

The ability to roll up characters in non traditional races was also kind of neat. I can’t remember if Phantasie the first had the different attack options or those came later in the series. They didn’t amount to a whole lot, but I appreciated that the devs were at least thinking about that sort of thing.

Very underrated series.

Alan Parsons Project.
I approve.

Thanks. I don’t visit there nearly enough, usually when someone links to something there, and then I’m up reading far past my bedtime. A wealth of information, and very nicely-written.

In P1 you can Attack (a few swings with less damage/lower to-hit chance), Thrust (single attack with higher damage/to-hit), Slash (3-4 swings with low damage/to-hit), and Lunge (single attack into second rank). Thieves can attack any rank they wish. You can also Parry if you just want to mitigate damage. So there’s a bit of depth there, plus the spellcasting. But compared to e.g. gold box there’s not too much tactical thinking going on in P1 at least.

Another interesting thing I discovered: your characters’ ages matter. A couple of my guys started getting older and their stats declined so that they can no longer wield their best weapons. Also, the more you rez a character, the lower their constitution gets; at zero they are dead forever. So you’re kind of on the clock, unless you start farming up new apprentice characters to replace your party, Darkest Dungeon-style.

As I recall it stays fairly abstract. Spell upgrades are randomized as I recall (you don’t know for sure what spells characters get on level up, or is memory failing?), and some classes aren’t eligible for some spells. I also swear Phantasie 3 added something into the mix but I can’t think of what that was.

Man, I wish someone would do some modern Phantasie style games though. I’d pay in a heartbeat.

P3 was the first with limb damage, I think. Anyway it’s certainly not in P1. Not sure what else was added.

Beat Phantasie, yay!

If anyone is into 8 bit CRPGs I recommend it. It was a super fun ride, albeit a bit frustrating here and there because of the way certain locations are gated. My one bit of advice is to really explore every nook and cranny of those dungeons.

“Ohhhhhhh, you’re all so adorable. You’re a fighter! And you… you’re a mage, right? Here, have some snickers. Happy Halloween!”

Damn I wished I had a dragon friend like that.

You win the caption contest!

So I had THE BEST day today. I recently got into Motorstorm: Pacific Rift for the first time, and I’ve completely fallen in love with it. It’s the best kind of chaos I want to see in a racing game, and I’ve not seen a game do it better. (I have recently ordered Motorstorm Complete and Apocalypse as a result of this.)

I learned today that the game had two DLC packs that added six tracks. The tracks I’ve seen so far in PR are GORGEOUS and amazing, so of course I wanted more. Sadly when I went to search for them online, I couldn’t find them.

So I thought I’d try the Playstation Store on the PS3 itself. OMG, you guys, you can STILL buy them! You have to buy a PS Store gift code to add funds to your account, but that’s easy peasy. I am SHOCKED that DLC for a decade-old game is still available for purchase. Delightedly shocked.

I’m happy you still have a working PS3! I had really bad luck with Sony consoles. My PS2 broke a dozen times and had to be sent in. My PS3 broke 3 times, I repaired it twice, but didn’t bother the third time. I think it was thrown away so the option to repair is gone too now.

(My PS4 has been rock solid! The first Sony console that’s been amazing for me).

Well my original, first PS3 broke recently. I’d had it for 12 years without problem and then the HDMI port started to fitz out. I searched around for a replacement, and someone on another forum was willing to sell me their fat PS3 (with PS2 compatibility), so I jumped on it. Sadly the HDMI port on that one doesn’t work at ALL, but I found out you CAN use component cables with them, so it’s all good!

I suppose I COULD use the component cables with my original PS3, but this fat one is way better.

Motorstorms are among my favorite PS3 games. Have fun!

One of Apocalypse’s courses is top 5 for me in all vehicle games. Not going to spoil it, you’ll know when you see it :)

Ohhhh I’m excited!