Not that we'd get it, but

…would you prefer that the board required all posters be registered, and/or there was a moderator group who could delete trolls?

I for one am sick to death of the trolling, senseless profanity, and utter ignorance that pops up to disrupt otherwise intelligent discussions here. I’ve been setting up my own forum, and had to consider these issues while doing so - which led to the decision that nobody without a registed username could post, and the community as a whole will have the ability to moderate shenanigans out of existence.

Since I chose to structure mine that way, and have given it a bit of thought lately, I thought I’d ask for an opinion survey on QT3 of how you guys enjoy your trolls that breeze in off the street.

I’ve all but stopped posting because of the fact that the trolling and rampant insulting has become, well, rampant. Profanity is fine, we’re gamers, we’re adults, we can deal with it. We can also deal with good natured fun. Hell, I think wumpus taking a potshot at me whenever he can is just about the most amusing thing in the world.

But anyone who ever said I was a problem, hey, look what way the wind’s blowing now! Deal with it, in one form or another, or it’ll just keep getting worse. Posting public ip’s would be the best way to deal with it, as there’s bound to be someone here who would more than take pride in routing their internet connection for a good month or so.

[size=2]this is akin to ‘First Post’ on /. and all in good-natured humor…[/size]

YAWN.

[size=2]this is akin to ‘First Post’ on /. and all in good-natured humor…[/size]

YAWN.[/quote]

I’LL FUCK YOUR SON AND YOUR DAUGHTER, SO YOU BETTER WATCH OUT!

(hopefully you’ll get the /. post I’m referencing)

Please, let’s not go there so early in the thread.

Don’t make me fuck your bloody eye socket while lighting your hair on fire.

I’m just not sure this type of thing should be in the hands of someone who can’t tell a registered user from an unregistered one and is willing to loudly trumpet his ignorance from the highest hilltop.

Don’t make me fuck your bloody eye socket while lighting your hair on fire.[/quote]

Go away troll!

Don’t make me fuck your bloody eye socket while lighting your hair on fire.[/quote]

Go away troll![/quote]

Shut up you are just making this worse… blah blah blah

Whatever, who cares.

Realistically all the bs posts that follow any given troll are worse than the initial troll, ips don’t discourage trolls because most good trollers go through an anon service or a wingate or something similar. shrug

Registered users doesn’t get rid of trolls either, they just pick up a hotmail account and post trolls from there… you can’t get rid of trolls-- they’re pointless, obnoxious, and here to stay.

Son of the bitch and Stupid Poop Headed GR…

Oh damn, I’m logged in.

On second thought, moderation helps with trolling/idiots, but on the other hand… they still troll, they still occasionally derail threads, but it’s a shitty system too.

Whatever.

I don’t see a particular need to change anything. Most of the blatant trolls get completely ignored. Many of the others (un?)intentionally start interesting conversations.

We all come here because of the community. Right now, it’s a community that ignores trolls and polices itself in that neo-utopian sense of not really needing to.

In my experience, moderators cause as many problems as they correct, if not more. As we are all user peers here, the worst we can do to one another is annoy. Once power is given to one. . . well, you know what they say about power. Moderators tend to act, and their actions always add controversy, not reduce it.

Overall, I find the signal to noise ratio to be far higher than we have any right to expect on the net in general. And if it ain’t broken. . .

Nah…

When I posted a troll about the Nintendo 64 having better graphics than Xbox, and wishing my wife were more like Xena: Warrior Princess, so she could comfort my inner Gabrielle, there were something like 44 replies.

When I posted a troll about being a teenager who was worried about impregnating his mother through ejaculating in the family hot tub, the thread went on for three pages or so.

Like retards and magpies, You guys can’t resist shiny objects.

Here are couple large problems with moderators…

#1: Politics

Even though this is obviously something any self-respecting moderator wants to avoid at all costs, few do. Favoritism is rampant as is catering to the moderator.

#2: Ego, “God syndrome”

Overzealous and misguided moderators a bit too excited about their “moderating” abilities are common.

Often moderators do more harm than good. That’s the fear.

I like using a verifiable ID check, social security numbers would be fine except they are sensitive and its not worth the risk to pass them over for this site. Requiring registration to post is a good idea… every obstacle and annoyance to those who like to hide in anonymity is a good thing.

Thus quoth Joesph Stalin.

We’re all savvy enough to recognize a troll, be it high-brow or low-brow. If trolls bother you, don’t respond. If you respond, it’s because part of you wants to be in on the joke.

Instating moderation is inviting that moderator’s personal predjudices to the community – not to mention a division in the community by raising some above the others.

Make me in and some other notables, moderators. Problem solved. Take one look at my forum and you’ll see the proof of my experience.

I LOVE this board and yes, profanity, debating, arguments etc are all fine and dandy because as IX say, we’re adults. But the trolling and wanton profanity and meangingful threads going downhill is beginning to weigh down the quality of the forum.

Funny thing is, I was just discussing this very thing on ICQ the other day, with a media friend of mine - who too - rarely posts now.

Making everyone register is just one part of the struggle. HOWEVER, unless moderation is active, offenders are just going to keep re-registering just so they can get their one flame in, get banned, rinse repeat. It is obvious that we cannot ask Chet, Mark and Tom to actively moderate the thread. Hell, they barely have time to participate as much as we do.

I think if steadfast rules are going to be required.

But as you said, we’re never going to get it because a site run by media types (Mark and Tom) is never going to move toward any form of meaningful control. Why? Well, for the same reason media types are always up in arms about censorship, freedom of speech and all that rubbish that anti-social misfits usually find loopholes in to exploit.

Fuck 'em. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you want quality people and posters here, then you have to draw the line and do whats best for the core community, not whats best for the anon wankers whose very existence is based on anti-social activity, wanton disregard for protocol and nose-picking fights.

Thats not good enough because unless posts are deleted, the damage is persistent and everlasting.

Instating moderation is inviting that moderator’s personal predjudices to the community – not to mention a division in the community by raising some above the others.

Yep, I agree. There are those issues too

Funny thing is, I was just discussing this very thing on ICQ the other day, with a media friend of mine - who too - rarely posts now.

Derek, you’ve posted 12 times in the last 24 hours! If that’s your definition of rarely posting, the anonymous trolls may be doing you a favor.

The idiots - most notably the former non-troller formerly known as Sinner - who are responsible for lots and lots of essentially dumb, non-sequitur posts under lots and lots of anonymous aliases are easily ignored and so not much of a problem. And they’re fat. The more aggravating type of troll is the regular poster who drops into anonymous mode to lauch personal attacks and other things he’s enough of a dick to say out loud but too much of a coward to put his name to. This behavior could be significantly curtailed through a combination of publicly posting IPs and blocking the IPs of all the major and off-Broadway anonymizer services. Alternately, we could simply give Chet the authority to check IPs and “out” any anonymous poster at his discretion. I know Chet would enjoy that.

I’m not convinced any of this is necessary, though. But I wouldn’t be sad to see it happen, either.

Yes, yes and yes.