Not washing with soap?

I expect it depends on the person but for me it’s only an issue for my scalp, which I am shampooing.

If I didn’t shampoo regularly, drool would bead on my pillow.

“Colossus has a stainless steel bar and he still stinks!” - Deadpool

Never enough Deadpool in any thread.

I shower daily but mainly save the soap for my face, underarms and down there (which my wife probably appreciates) otherwise I’m pretty half-assez about the rest.

This seems so gross to me. I absolutely could not imagine going more than 24 hours without a shower. I mean, I’ve been camping and stuff where you have to go 3-4 days between showers but you just sorta get used to it after a while. But you still smell. I wouldn’t want to come walking out of the woods and straight into a store full of people or something.

I shower at least daily but use soap very rarely. Only when I have grease or mud or something I need to wash off. I’m an active guy: hiking, jogging, climbing, beat sabering, etc regularly. My clothes really stink after a good workout. But after a quick water only shower, I dont.

I do wash my hands with soap, and I shampoo my hair about twice a week.

Speaking of clothes: this weekend I did a big hike. Lots of sweating. I wore a lightweight merino wool t-shirt instead of my usual synthetic fabric tech shirt–almost no smell.

REI had a sale on some smart wool products recentlty and I picked up a few shirts. I had a similar result - they keep you just as cool, and don’t stink. They are a bit more pricey, but seems worth it to me.

I love smartwool. Best thing I’ve ever purchased were the socks.

I shower daily, but for 20 years I have used odorless sorbolene creme instead of soap for the body. After the shower I apply a thin layer of sorbolene all over. I don’t use any deodorant or antiperspirant. I’m assured that I don’t have any body odour. For my hair I massage a good handful of plain conditioner instead of shampoo, and my hair and scalp are much less dry and more manageable. My hair doesn’t get anywhere as greasy as it used to when I used shampoo.

Isn’t there a case for individual people just being different? I can go to the gym - lift weights/run - and sweat pretty clean. As long as I change into new clothes after my workout and don’t marinate in them I’m fine. I can even reuse the clothes the next day when they dry out. I only generate an odor if I sit in sweaty clothes for an extended period of time.

I shower every other day, but wash my face every morning. My hair would get too dry if I washed it every day, but I definitely need to take care of the oils on my face daily. Water only seems to do fine for the past 15 years. The one thing I must take care of though is my bionic pits. I seriously burn through whatever is out on the market within a few hours and have to purchase special 20% aluminum antiperspirant if I don’t want to embarrass myself. If aluminum gives you Alzheimer’s I’m as good as dead. Again, I think it’s the marinating. As long as I’m not sitting throughout the day with sweaty underarms (due to the antiperspirant) I’m fine. Otherwise I’m a stink bomb.

My partner on the other hand has practically zero body odor. He stomps around the woods on a daily basis as part of his job. Comes home in sweaty/dirty clothes and will have zero smell. Doesn’t wear deodorant. Doesn’t use body wash or soap, because he’s super sensitive to manufacturerd scents. He does shower daily though.

Strangely enough there is a gene, primarily found in people of East Asian or Native American descent that causes them to sweat less often and doesn’t produce as much of the chemical the body odor bacteria loves. Strangely enough, the gene is also related to the type of earwax you have. Dry flaky ear wax means less body odor.

Flaky white ear wax, yeah. If your ear wax is brown, you’re out of luck.

Interesting. Although i’m of Western European descent i also have flaky ear wax (like god intended) and also have noticeably less body odor. Hmm.

What’s the opposite of this gene? Because I seem to have it. I’d sweat while taking a walk on the surface of Europa.

I think we’re all different. I use soap on all places except my face. I found a long time ago that the soaps were what caused acne problems for me. As soon as I went to water only on my face, that all cleared up and I got that advice from the intarwebs. *shrug*

Can’t post stuff on the internet unless it’s true.

That’s because facial cleaning is a balance, you strip oil out then have to replenish with moisturizer, or your body will throw some more acne food out.

I mostly used to have recurring eczema on my hands. I made a number of changes a few years ago, but the BIGGEST culprit was soaps. Specifically for me, shower gel/body wash. Other things helped too, like a better laundry detergent, more daily water, and a skin supplement. But the majority of my problem was using a specific set of soaps in the shower.

All the colors, fragrances and additives can really be an issue.