November 2017 NPD

Oh my bad I got the timeline messed up. Sounds like prices were very low on PS4 pro, even.

Xbox One X is a relative non-event. It’s just too expensive. $500 will never be a palatable price for a videogame console until the value of a dollar feels like the current value of a quarter. Half a grand is just too much.

Didn’t PS4 Pro launch at $499? Oh wait it was $399?

Consoles LOL

The sole reason the PS4 was the top seller this month was because it was $200 for a slim, and the $190 Xbox One S wasn’t far behind it for unit sales. While the effectiveness of this tactic shouldn’t be downplayed - $200 is the top end of impulse-buy territory for a lot of consumers, and the deep discounts on high-profile games on both platforms made both attractive holiday prospects - it does raise questions about what the profit margins on these consoles are at this point in their life. “Most PS4s sold in a single month ever” sounds great on paper, but looks a lot worse when all 1.5 million units or whatever were loss leaders.

Of course, none of this is anything new for the games industry, but it’s always good to keep in mind, especially when one of the systems posting great numbers for the month spends the rest of the year in a distant last place.

Also, Jesus Christ, I want to punch anyone who says “the Switch needed a hardware discount eight months after release.”

Except that the data says you are wrong. If the PS4 pushed more units (and more units than any other month), but the xBox generated more revenue, the difference is the higher-priced xBox one.

My purchases definitely don’t match those of the charts. I bought 1 game from the top 10 over the last 12 months, and 2 from the top 20 November games.

Only 1 from the xbox top 10/2017 top 10 (though I do also have Wolfenstein 2, which didn’t chart on the xbox for November, but did for the PS4, which I don’t own. Destiny 2 (which I pre-ordered, digitally).

It was a launch. Of course it helped them get more revenue. Sony sold two and a half PlayStations for every Xbox One X sold. That means they crushed them where it counts, installed base among consumers.

It’s interesting to me how the top 10 of ps4 and top 10 of xbox and practically the same, from 1 to 8 are exactly the same games in the same order.

Well, looks like EA and DICE’s crappy design decisions didn’t hurt them at all. That’s terrible.

A lot of people purchased the game before the full impact of its lootcrates was revealed. So, the sold impact was probably not that big - But the public image hurt wasn’t minimal. .

EA had to reduce their forecasts based on BF2 selling worse then expected, so it did have an impact.