NPD June 2008

Guess it’s not as funny when it’s just a couple years.

Actually it’s still just as funny.

So if Sony releases MGS4 every single month for the next few years, they’ll finally overtake the 360?

Yeah, that’ll show the PS3 doomsayers.

Pretty sure that FF13 is still PS3 in Japan. The deal for MS is for NA distribution. So it won’t affect sales in Japan at all, except for the PS3.

Do you really think the PS3 is going to move double the consoles again in July, are at any other point this year?

Microsoft also has to release no major games for the next several years for that to work, BTW.

Think its for europe as well.

Yeah it’s Europe and NA.

You don’t think the PS3 will catch the 360 in world-wide sales at some point? I think there’s a good chance of that.

Isn’t that the plan?

The coolest thing about Blu-Ray movies, besides the quality, is the in-movie menu bar. Sounds stupid, but it’s a nice feature I do miss when I’m watching DVDs.

Actually, I was just reading the thread in order to do that.

At a sales delta of 185.7k units per month, if Sony holds this lead, they will match the 360 in units sold (assuming a 6 million deficit) in about 2.7 years, which makes them break even around January or February 2011. Which essentially puts it at the end of the generation, assuming the standard five-year cycle.

Good on Sony. If they can maintain this sales delta, then they can at least catch up to Microsoft by the time people start talking about the next generation.

What titles are you suggesting will allow them to continue to drive sales of the platform?

Also, at some point (I’m guessing by this Christmas) the PS3 will no longer be the bargain Blue Ray solution.

I do believe there was an “If” in that sentence. It’s a pretty big if. In fact, it’s one of those theoretical "if"s, like “if pigs could fly.” I was just trying to be fair for Brad Grenz though. After all, he seems to be a fan of my posts, wishing for it, as it were.

Ehrm, that’s not what I remember. I remember that most people immediately jumped on the new format; the way it sounded for most things and the fact that the sound quality would never deteriorate was a huge selling point. It was as big as the jump from VHS to DVD.

DVD to Blu-Ray is more like the jump from CD to DVD Audio or SACD.

Isn’t it a fact that the majority of console sales happen around the end of the five-year cycle?

I also expect for the consoles to stick around for a little longer this time. More powerful consoles means significantly more expensive games to make, and I’m not sure anyone wants to jump off that cliff yet…

Also, maybe the PS3 won’t be the cheapest blu-ray player there is, but it’s hard to ignore the value proposition in hte box, even for a casual consumer. If you have a choice between a bluray player for 350 and a ps3 for 400, why wouldn’t you want the one that can also play games, download trailers and rent movies and tv shows (unless you’re in canada, fuck you sony) on?

Sales pick up based on price, sure, but that’ll be true for both consoles, and most likely the xbox first, as they had a head start anyway. It won’t change much.

Anyway, Sony’s ability to break even is governed solely by winning based on inferiority – it’s so difficult to port to the PS3 from other platforms, that a lot of devs, if going multiplatform, are now forced to develop on the PS3 and port the other way, thus failing to take full advantage of the 360’s strengths.

Sony, dominating through inferiority since 2001.

The Wii is its own animal but Nintendo needs to do something to get the momentum from Sony. PS3 is outselling the 360 by about 270K units this year – not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but not a good sign.

Some would say 1995.

To be fair, they weren’t yet dominating in 2005, and from everything I’ve heard, the PSX was actually pretty easy to program for.

It was, but it was still not as good at 2D as the Saturn and not as good at 3D as the N64. A large part of the PSX’s success came from Sony’s (admittedly smart) strategy of wooing devs away from Nintendo and Sega by any means necessary, securing them Final Fantasy VII, which pretty much altered the playing field permanently. It’s actually kind of amusing to see Sony fans lambasting Microsoft for doing what Sony did back in the '90s.

Sony won two generations decisively with comparably underpowered hardware. This gen they have the most powerful system for the first time, and they’re struggling. At some point, I would think somebody in hardware R&D would pick up on this.