THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* 360 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 254.0K
MADDEN NFL 10 PS3 ELECTRONIC ARTS Aug-09 246.5K
MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 236.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3 SQUARE ENIX INC (CORP) Aug-09 212.5K
GUITAR HERO 5* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* WII MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 208.6K

Batman was by squenix?

They acquired Eidos.

Seems about right. I’m actually surprised the new PS3 didn’t sell more.

Beat the Wii… that is impressive.

Looks like my GH5 vs. Beatles RB was a safe one.

PS3 was expected to have a big month. It introduced the Slim and a $100 price cut. Oct/Nov are in a lot of ways more important to see if the sales increase was a one time spike or is sustainable. More surprising is that the exclusive PS3 Batman DLC seems to have mattered as that is selling better now on PS3.

Looks like Batman was also the big title to pick up with your new PS3. How many other multiplatform titles have had the PS3 version beat out the 360 version, even if only in their second month out.

Was trying to think of notable absences from the top 10, was Need for Speed expected to be there? or is the game at this point only a major player in the European market.

Poor Scribblenauts

Beatles is 40k up over GH5. Im still holding out that GH5 will end up with the bigger numbers by the end of the year. That was quite a marketing push they had there for a while.

But it is higher than I expected from the Beatles before the release.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/10/npd-september-ps3-on-top-beatles-beat-cobain/

NPD added that The Beatles: Rock Band outsold Guitar Hero 5, saying that MTV’s Beatles game sold 595,000 units in total across the three platforms while Activision’s sequel sold 499,000 copies in total across its four platforms (which include PlayStation 2).

Why would you hold out for the crappy Activision exploitation to come out ahead?

Is your name Bobby?

So the PS3 version of TB:RB only sold 132.4K units, right? Despite the PS3 Slim release (and strong sales)?

Well, people may not be quite as open to spending $250 on a band kit when they’ve just bought a $300 console maybe?

So the PS3 version of TB:RB only sold 132.4K units, right? Despite the PS3 Slim release (and strong sales)?

I’d say that the Slim release and the price cut did not have a major effect on the Beatles or GH sales because you’d have to pick up additional hardware (guitar, mic and/or drumkit) along with them. That would be a $400 to 500 investment depending on what bundle you pick up compared to the $350 it costs you if you fetch Batman or some other standard title along with the system. And if I were to spend $500, chances are I’d pick 4 games instead of one.

Wasn’t one of the arguments for higher sales of TB:RB that a lot of folks would be picking up a system and the game?

Just wondering… I myself was betting on GH5 doing better but I’m really glad it didn’t turn out that way.

It isnt hope, its just that I didnt (past tense) think that the intersection of Beatles fans and rythym game players was that large. Im happy the Beatles is doing better numbers, Im just surprised by it.

It’s the Beatles, man. The most popular band in the history of the world!

However! There’s no doubt that music game sales are down…

Didn’t the PS3 version outsell the 360 version last month as well?

It may have. I didn’t double-check the numbers or anything. I just stuck that last sentence on there as a caveat in case someone came in to crow about how 360 numbers are still overall better.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to the NPD numbers for two reasons this month, more than I have for a long time:

1. Beatles Rock Band vs Guitar Hero 5
  2. Sales of Dirt 2 and Need For Speed Shift

When Dirt debuted, it did end up on the charts. At least the 360 version did. But that was during the summer months, so it didn’t have as much competition. Maybe after Gamasutra reveals the Top 20 we’ll finally see how Dirt 2 and NFS: Shift did. Racing games used to do well in NA but lately Europe has been their main audience. Still, I expected at least one of them to chart in the top 10.