NSA monitoring domestic calls before 9/11?

Well.

June 30 (Bloomberg) – The U.S. National Security Agency asked AT&T Inc. to help it set up a domestic call monitoring site seven months before the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, lawyers claimed June 23 in court papers filed in New York federal court.

Seriously, Jason, whose side are you on?

We’re in a new kind of war here and that requires a new method of battle. Revealing our methods to the terrorists inevitably makes this country more dangerous for its citizens.

Furthermore, in our post-9/11-

Oh wait.

Shit.

I honestly hope this is true and it gets somebody with the capacity to do something all riled up. These programs were utter bullshit to begin with, the pissy huffiness shown when these programs were revealed was further drama-queen bullshit. If it turns out that this administration set up these programs without provocation, well then that’s intensely messed up and just one more straw dropped on the back of some poor camel with thousands of spinal fractures.

If I were the successor to Bush, I would extraordinarily render him unto The Hague.

You sure use a lot of random adverbs, Flowers.

Anyway, from that article, all I see is the lawyers claiming this happened. What’s the support? AT&T can’t confirm or deny anything, so where are they getting the info?

Anyway, from that article, all I see is the lawyers claiming this happened. What’s the support? AT&T can’t confirm or deny anything, so where are they getting the info?

Apparently from ATT sales depatrment documents.

From the amended complaint filed on 6/23:

Defendant ATT’s Construction of a Call Monitoring Center

for the Exclusive Use of the NSA.
81. Within eleven (11) days of the onset of the Bush administration, and at least seven
(7) months prior to the attacks of September 11, 2001, defendant ATT began
development of a center for monitoring long distance calls and internet transmissions and
other digital information for the exclusive use of the NSA.
82. The center was put into development by ATT following a proposal by the NSA
for the construction and development of a network operations center identical to ATTís
own network operations center located in Bedminster, New Jersey for the exclusive use
of the NSA.

1. The project was described in the ATT sales division documents as calling for the
    construction of a facility to store and retain data gathered by the NSA from its domestic
    and foreign intelligence operations but was to be in actuality a duplicate ATT Network
    Operations Center for the use and possession of the NSA that would give the NSA direct,
    unlimited, unrestricted and unfettered access to all call information and internet and
    digital traffic on ATTís long distance networks.

EDIT:
Link to amended complaint from the Pacer system.

Are you serious? I’m pretty sure he means extraordinary in the legal sense.