Number of interesting games this holiday season

I was reading the buy 2 get one free thread and it occured to me that this season there are far fewer games I am interested in buying this year than last.

I am always tempted by the buy 2 get one free deals (and took advantage last year during the Xbox one) but this year I can’t find 3 games I am interested in that I don’t already have. It is very odd, this year there seem to be more big must have releases but not so many I would like to haves, maybe it is because a lot of it came out early this year?

Still looking at my list from last year there were 23 games I was considering between late August and December. I ended up buying 14. This year my list of games bought and things I intend to buy even going back to early August is only 11 games long. Granted I will end up buying every one of them but it seems this season is really weak on quantity but really strong on quality big time releases. Not that this is a bad thing just not seeing as much this year that interests me.

– Xaroc

Personally, I think you’re insane. I can’t remember ever having so many fantastic titles crammed into such a short amount of time.

My poor thinning wallet agrees with you…

Nevermind the wallet… there are only so many hours in the day and way too many games to play at the same time. I was gonna start a thread attacking the industry for releasing so many games all at once. Would it kill them to space it out a bit more?

In one week… one week… you have Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2 and Half Life 2.

In one week.

Fortunately I don’t have an Xbox and wasn’t impressed with Metroid Prime, so I’m only interested in one of those.

But I know what you mean. Time is the limiting factor for me. Heck, I’ve mostly buying older games in the $20-$30 range and I still have too many to get through.

Regardless of whether you are interested in those games are not, the fact that three of the biggest games of the year are all coming out at the same time is a shame. I understand they want to get in there for the Christmas season… but damn if this sort of competition doesnt hurt more than it helps.

Maybe you should get some reading lessons considering I wasn’t talking about fantastic titles just titles in general I was interested in. I even said in my post there are more high quality titles this year just fewer overall releases I am interested in.

Last year I had to plan like crazy to be able to buy everything, this year I am looking for things to buy and can’t find things that interest me.

Now if you want to respond with a real answer rather than an insult, maybe we can have a discussion.

– Xaroc

Metroid Prime 2 is a week after Halo 2 along with Half-Life 2. Halo 2 pretty much has the 9th to itself.

–Dave

It really only hurts nutballs (like myself) who tend to want to play every good game that comes out, as soon as they come out. I’m sure the publishers have examined things in detail and looked at each others release dates and calculated when to release things for maximum revenue.

Let’s not kid ourselves, us nutballs will end up buying all the big titles that come out, even if they come out at exactly the same time. The only agonizing decision is what order to play them in. The publishers know our money is guaranteed, so they don’t have to cater to us with release scheduling :D

I actually think the 3 big releases for me GTA:SA, Halo 2, and Half-Life 2 are actually spaced better than they could be. I at least get a week with Halo 2 before HL2 comes out and I get a nice two weeks of GTA:SA first. What is interesting for me they are spread over 3 pay periods so there is no financial pressure at all about which to buy first. Considering HL2 is already paid for and around this time of year I am usually buying 2 games per pay period it isn’t really an issue anyway. Actually the fact I am not buying 2 games per pay period this year is what prompted me to make this thread.

– Xaroc

Maybe you should get some reading lessons considering I wasn’t talking about fantastic titles just titles in general I was interested in. I even said in my post there are more high quality titles this year just fewer overall releases I am interested in.

Last year I had to plan like crazy to be able to buy everything, this year I am looking for things to buy and can’t find things that interest me.

Now if you want to respond with a real answer rather than an insult, maybe we can have a discussion.

– Xaroc[/quote]

I guess if you created this topic expecting to be insulted, you could see an insult in my post. Otherwise I don’t know where the hell you got that.

Also, if you’re admitting that there are “fantastic” titles that you’re not interested in, then you clearly are insane.

If it’s all the same to you I’d rather just insult you:

YOU ARE Batshit K-Razy INsane!
More nutty than a can with “Planters” on the front.

Seriously though, if you don’t think what we have here is an embarrasment of riches like none seen in decades… you’ve pretty much already told me all I care to know about your opinion right there.

embarrasment of riches like none seen in decades

Nothing will ever beat 1998.

–scharmers

2004 destroys 1998.

Now that I think about it, all of those names are odd. Shouldn’t that be Metroid Second and Full-Decay? The Halo 2 name wouldn’t be so bad, except that there’s no actual ringworld this time.

• Alan

Now that I think about it, all of those names are odd. Shouldn’t that be Metroid Second and Full-Decay? The Halo 2 name wouldn’t be so bad, except that there’s no actual ringworld this time.

• Alan[/quote]

How do you know there’s no ringworld this time? :)

–Dave

You’re living in Hard-Core Gamer Land where everyone must buy the game on day one. This is not the Real World. Games like HALO 2, GTA, HL2, WoW, etc. will continue to sell for at least twelve months. Typical Casual Gamer #953 will buy one or two of these at full price this holiday and then another in February/March, then one more next July/August when the price is a little lower.

You can’t ignore the facts - sales for all games increase between October and December. It actually makes sense to come out with a lot of games during this period. That doesn’t mean some games can get shafted and ignored (I think Metal Arms is a perfect example of this. Had we released it in March I think it might have done better), but the hits will all succeed. No need to cry over them.

– Xaroc[/quote]

I guess if you created this topic expecting to be insulted, you could see an insult in my post. Otherwise I don’t know where the hell you got that.

Also, if you’re admitting that there are “fantastic” titles that you’re not interested in, then you clearly are insane.[/quote]

Let me type slower for you, apparently you still can’t read. The number of titles out there that I am interested in this year is lower than last year. The number of AAA titles is higher this year. Those are not mutually exclusive statements. I did not say that this was a bad year at all just that the absolute number, count, amount or any other name you want to use for a number of titles high quality or good or whatever that I am interested in this year is lower than last and by a good margin. I am not bashing this year just kind of surprised that there are not MORE titles I am interested in compared with last year.

Also, calling someone insane is an insult at least where I come from.

– Xaroc

I guess where you come from, it’s common practice to watch AAA or “high quality” games just come out all over the place and not care. Me, either I want a game, or it’s crap. There’s no middle ground. Obviously we do not hail from the same homeland.

Sounds like crazy talk to me…