Nvidia DLSS, this thread has been visually enhanced.

They need some answer to DLSS, like AMD. As long as it’s in something like the same ballpark I think they’ll be fine. They just need to charge less, which is obviously the plan anyway.

I wonder if DLSS 3’s new interpolated frame approach means that the current DLSS methods have reached some kind of performance plateau.

DLSS2 is pretty good at this point, yeah. Not yet perfect, but really quite excellent overall. FSR2 and XeSS have a long way to go.

So I have a 3060Ti, not a 40X0 card with frame generation, but FSR3 is now available and there’s mods I can use to get frame generation on my card.

Still some issues, but hopefully will get worked out.

Even in games that work it seems like it can have pretty severe artifacting. Not sure I’d use it myself (3080) in any current game, but maybe if something ridiculously demanding comes out before an affordable 3080 replacement.

If it actually works, and doesn’t force us to turn DLSS upscaling off (and use FSR2) to turn it on, it would be worth using on any game where you hit around 60fps with FG off.

Not if you favour image quality over higher FPS. See eg the licence plate ghosting in this video from the ResetERA thread:

It’s gonna be hilarious when FSR+FG is just working everywhere and suddenly Nvidia release drivers that magically enable DLSSFG on older gen cards…

Yeah it’s a mess.

FSR 2.2 doesn’t like that zebra crossing scenario either.

FWIW, here’s what it looks like in MSFS, though frustratingly he doesn’t actually show it in flight - hopefully some other streamers will post more soon:

There seem to have been some interesting developments on the unofficial framegen front. The old mod no longer needs a registry entry, and apparently there’s a paid thing on Steam that does its own framegen.

Crappy image quality on generated frames is much more noticeable at low framerates, which is actually kinda obvious when you think about it. That’s one of the two primary reasons why framegen should only be turned on if you’re around 60 base FPS to start out. After upscaling, to be clear, DLSS2/FSR2/XeSS are fine to use.

The other is input latency; at absolute best the game will feel like it’s running at its native framerate, even though the visuals are smooth, and that can feel bad. In reality it’ll be a bit worse than that, particularly with AMD framegen which has a severe impact on base framerates. If you look at benchmarks, DLSS FG tends to come pretty close to doubling frames while with FSR FG you’re lucky to get +50%.

Thing is, framegen inserts a fake frame after every regular frame. So if it comes close to doubling your framerate, well and good, tiny impact. If it only gives you 50%, that means your base framerate is actually slowed down considerably– by 25%, in fact. So if your game natively runs at 40fps, then you flick on AMD FG and it shows 60fps, the game is actually running at 30fps baseline. Those ugly fake frames are on-screen much longer, and your input latency feels like you’re playing on an xboneS. Smooth visuals, but they’re fugly, and it feels bad to boot.

Nvidia originally positioned their framegen as perfect for CPU-constrained games like MSFS. But if you’re only getting 35fps for whatever reason including a CPU bottleneck, you probably shouldn’t turn it on.

DLSS2 upscaling is black magic. FSR2 isn’t nearly as good, but it’s definitely worth using if you need the performance. Framegen is another tool in the toolbox, but one that shouldn’t necessarily always be used.

This on Steam is apparently capable of good results, and has added the ability for frame generation in the last version. Seems a bit like magic to me. :D

Haven’t used it though, haven’t found the need yet, playing at 1080p.

Yeah, that’s the Steam one I mentioned in my post

Latest drivers brought this

It’s basically like Windows Auto HDR, but for video instead of 3d games.

I turned that “feature” off so fast!

Auto HDR has been great on my display.

The settings don’t do anything visible for me in Windows 10. :-/

Yeah, I love HDR. When I got my TV with it back in 2019, it was a revelation. It’s now good enough on PC that it’s mandatory IMO.

Yeah, it’s pretty decent.

Nice! Will be testing this out and will report back.

Note that unlike the super resolution which can be done through chrome/edge OR a VLC client, the video HDR only seems to be usable via chrome/edge.