nVidia figures out how to keep the geForceFX from spreading!

No, that price is not a typo. They’re damn serious. Several sites have similar pricing. :shock:

That’s a Quadro-- those cards are intended for CAD and such, hence the crazy pricing.

sigh

I have to spell everything out… :roll:

My point being that since they already said that it would be in limited quantities - if the majority is allocated to high-end cards (i.e. Quadro), then the average consumers - gamers - won’t bother.

There. Get it now? ;)

No, there’s no allocation issue vis a vis Quadro versus GeForceFX. There will still be plenty to go around. Overall sales of Quadro units are fairly low, and typically don’t impact the sales of the consumer cards.

And there will even be more after GDC…

Cheers,

Loyd Case

I thought the GeForce FX was the one that required two open slots due to the huge fan; the requirements for that unit only says you need a free AGP slot.

The Quadro FX is more suited towards the visualizing from finite element simulation of heart mechanics than it is for say… Doom III.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

Quadro FX 2000 requires 2 slots, FX 1000 doesn’t. The FX 2000 doesn’t even use FX Flow, just an oversized HS/F.

I thought the GeForce FX was the one that required two open slots due to the huge fan; the requirements for that unit only says you need a free AGP slot.

No, a massive two-slot fan assembly is not “required”; that was a publicity stunt by nVidia that backfired spectacularly. I guess they thought all the 1337 hardcore overclockers were still into plunking gimongous jet engine fans all over their systems. How very 2001 of them.

The assumption is that the FX flow was worked up for reviewers so NVIDIA could overclock the card into competition with the 9700.

Quadros are always over twice the price of the normal cards.

So this is why they bought 3dfx!

Quadros are always over twice the price of the normal cards.[/quote]

You’re late to the party.

Yes, I know that. The point - again - that I was trying to make (it was supposed to be funny, but you bastards are so tough, I barely got a snigger) is that if all the limited quantities are allocated to Quadros, then there would hardly any left blah, blah, blah. And if there aren’t that many left in the gamer’s hands, there won’t be such an outcry and it won’t look like the FX got royally trounced by the 9700 and upcoming ATI offering.

Now Case is saying that rumors of the FX being fabbed in limited quantities (100K I heard last), are just that, rumors. There goes my joke. Thanks Case!!!

I spent approximately 6 tenths of a second trying to determine what this meant in leet speak (“tool?”) before I realized that you were speaking about two-thousand and one.

Sux0rz 2b m3.

holy shit first the mainpage gets updated, then derek smart writes a post that has a grand total of only 15 words and then some1 not only pays attention but tries to figure out a post by wumpus? what the fuck is going on around here

It’s insane. Like cats and dogs living together.

Quadros are always over twice the price of the normal cards.[/quote]

You’re late to the party.

Yes, I know that. The point - again - that I was trying to make (it was supposed to be funny, but you bastards are so tough, I barely got a snigger) is that if all the limited quantities are allocated to Quadros, then there would hardly any left blah, blah, blah. And if there aren’t that many left in the gamer’s hands, there won’t be such an outcry and it won’t look like the FX got royally trounced by the 9700 and upcoming ATI offering.

Now Case is saying that rumors of the FX being fabbed in limited quantities (100K I heard last), are just that, rumors. There goes my joke. Thanks Case!!![/quote]

Nah, I was actually hinting at new stuff to come soon.

;-)

As ever,

Loyd

New stuff like ATI’s R350 and RV350? Careful, the “V” means value = not high performance.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030225/tech_ati_1.html

Or were you referring to other “new stuff”?

Yes.

Yes.

:D

Loyd Case