NWN 2 - Crafting & Enchanting

OH NOES!!1! NOT ANOTHER NWN 2 THREAD!!

So I’m getting close to the end of Act II, I think, and I have yet to bother with any crafting or enchanting - largely because my memory of NWN 1 crafting was it sucked. Seriously: paying gold to make stuff yourself? What was up with that?

But it sounds like enchanting, at least, is a lot more useful, so I’m looking for C&E tips: how to do it, good recipes, who makes the best crafters & enchanters, what’s worth making and what isn’t, etc.

Crafting tables and a recipe or mold to follow of what stuff to put into the table. Then use a crafting item (smith hammer or mortar & pestle) on the table. It will tell you if it succeeded or not.

Wizards and Bards make good crafters, in my opinion. Bards can use any scrolls, which means you don’t have to spend a feat on create magic and armor for every class. Wizards can take “scribe scroll” and/or “create wand” instead, and just give the bard the resulting item, and can even learn new spells from scrolls (and turn around and scribe scrolls of it). Bards can also use the song to increase your skill points, which helps crafting better material items.

If you want more details, read the stickied crafting FAQ thread on the official NWN2 forums in the Official Campaign sub-forum.

Don’t waste the points on your own character, you’ll find all you need from the folks that join. I wasn’t a big fan of the bard so I blew his points on everything non-magical related to crafting. The armor and weapons can be made by him easily.

You’ll find Iron Ingots and Leather, but skip that and hold out for better things. Adamantium, Mithril, Dark Iron, Special Hides, etc. When crafted they will give a small bonus to whatever you make.

Now the crappy part. Beyond all that, pick a spellcaster (or two) and be sure when they level to select one having the “magical weapons and armor” and “wonderous items” feats. They are the only classes that can enchant, and it’s based upon their casting level so be sure and don’t give that feat to say, a ranger.

Armor and weapons are made easily, just combine the stuff in the smithy, and “use” your hammer on them.

Alchemy can be used to convert the tusks, blood and other items you find into essences of different types. Just use the mortar and pestle on them right on the inventory screen.

Magical enchants are done by putting the item and the magical reagents needed into the magical workbench. Then have your spellcaster cast the correct spell on the workbench as a target.

Potions and Scrolls I skipped, wish I could tell you more.

spoilers

Don’t make Khelgar your crafter for anything. Nor Shandra.

Roger Wong posted the list of recipes for us here:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=30602&page=2

There is a limit of 3 enchantments that can be cast on a weapon or piece of armour. Using a special material counts as one enchantment towards that limit. So depending on your goals, you might want to make the base item of simple iron.

I think the number is more related to the type. In the case of weapons it’s enhancement, damage type, and vs damage I think.

Either way with an Adamantium Longsword I’ve got it’s bonus (2 magical damage I believe), a +5 enchant, and 1d6 cold as well. And they all stack fine as far as I can tell. I haven’t yet tried the “vs damage” as well though. So if it’s only three, that still might not be that bad, since the enchant from the ingot type is vs all, not just vs a specific faction or alignment.

Either way, good to know that Mike.

player crafted weapons dont get glowy effects. it makes me sads. :(

Druids can cast most of the necessary spells for wondrous items and magical arms and armor, I believe, so give those feats to nature girl. You might need a wizard for some of the spells though (or some scrolls). It doesn’t matter who you give points in crafting weapons and armor to, since basic blacksmithing doesn’t rely on anything else. I think you need 23 to craft the most difficult items (adamantine exotic weapons or full plate), but you can get 5 or so with buffs and bard songs.

I added lightning damage to a coldforged iron shortsword and it started to spark and coil lightning.

Naming your own items is pretty cool I think, especially the fact that you can rename bought items. Anguravadal (Flametongue) -> Anguravadal (+3).

Is there any good monk gear you can craft? It is kind of sucks that gauntlets are armor, so you can’t put +damage enchants on them.

Hmm. I added fire to an adamantine +5 greatsword, and it didnt do jack shit. :(

Monks can use kamas with flurry of blows active. My monk has a +4 Holy Adamantine Kama for special occasions.

I enchanted a +2 greatsword with fire and it does have a flame effect just like other fire weapons I found. Though it was just normal iron.

In that case, NWN2 is just out to get me, and I give up.

On my first playthrough I didn’t craft a damned thing. I see people on the official forums claiming that you have to craft to finish because it’s the only way to get +5, etc. etc. That’s pure BS. I am, however, interested to see just how kickass of a Greatsword I can make for my paladin. Except I’m tempted to roll up a female warlock named Poe… that female human starting warlock outfit is teh hot.

I think each class’ outfit is identical for all races. I’m quite partial to the Duelist’s outfit myself. I have that fine chapeau for my monk currently. ;D

I wonder if the material graphic somehow overrides the effect graphic.

Yeah, but kama’s do 1d4. At level 18 or so, your fists do 3d8. 1d4 + 5 < 3d8, espeically if you do have some of those goves that give you +3 or +4 to hit and damage.

The first time you swing a player made +5 weapon with a couple more enchants on it will blow you away. You’ll go from seeing crits of 15-20 to those of 30-40 pretty easily, and that’s at the time you get it. By late game I’m hitting at 50 plus sometimes on a swing. It is a thing of beauty.

Kamas are d6; perhaps you’re thinking of kukris? And monks’ fists’ max damage is 2d10 at lvl 20.

Regardless, the basic point stands: monks generally do way more damage with their fists than with kamas. About the only reason to keep a kama handy is if, say, you need to do magic damage.

BTW, stupid-ass question: I realize crafting is a skill check; the more exotic the components, the higher the requirement. But what about enchanting? Do you just need the proper reagents, feat, and spell?