NWN Modules

Got the Gold Edition for $9.98 and picked up Hordes of the Underdark expansion. I’m loving more than Morrowind, but, I have to say that the original module is truly uninspired work. I don’t have internet connection on my desktop at home, so I can’t buy the new modules from Bioware. So, I was wondering if any of you guys can give recommendations on good fan made modules.

There has already been quite a bit of discussion about this, just do a forum search on nwn modules.

The best place to start would probably be the Hall of Fame at nwnvault.

It is terrible. Particularly in light of their previous work. Does nobody in these situations speak up and say “we owe it to ourselves and our reputation to do something better than barely mediocre”? Sigh.

I don’t have internet connection on my desktop at home, so I can’t buy the new modules from Bioware. So, I was wondering if any of you guys can give recommendations on good fan made modules.

First I strongly recommend you download the CEP. Lots of modules use this; it contains a lot of high-quality stuff.

I find that the Hall of Fame in general has a lot of mixed stuff. The Adam Miller modules in particular are vastly overrated.

The Aielund modules are among my favorites. (The third and final one is supposedly very close to completion.) As are Elegia Eternum and Excrucio Eternum. Halo of Flies and Shadow from a Soul on Fire are also pretty good, as is Some Distant Shore by the same author, although that’s an epic-level adventure. A Hunt Through the Dark is a decent evil drow campaign. Cormyrean Nights is a pretty good city adventure. Twilight and Midnight are very very good paladin adventures - there’s a third one supposedly in the works but I wouldn’t plan on seeing it soon.

Rollory

What is the CEP? Specifically. I read the quick blurp on the NWN vault, sounds like it tries to fix the original campaign.

Thanks,

M

It’s a set of added content (armor, models, furniture, etc). It’s packaged as it is so that module writers can just say “Requires CEP” instead of having to put together a package of all the custom content they want to use.

As for recommended modules, I’m enjoying “Kingmaker”, but that’s not a freebie (it’s from the new NWN store). If you like Lord of the Rings, Sons of the Steward is really first rate.

As you’ve got the Gold version you might want to skip the original campaign and start with SOU, which is also designed for a level 1 character. HOU assumes in the storyline that you hero is the one that completed SOU, although it will level up a lower level character at the start of the module. A character who has completed the original campaign will probably be too powerful for HOU.

As for the fan made modues, unlike Rollory, I enjoyed Adam Miller’s, it might be worth trying one and making up your own mind.

Of course, the big advantage to the NW Vault is he can just download these mods for free and make up his own mind if he likes `em… ;)

Oh, and thanks for the recommendations, Rollory! Have to check some of them out.

And, yeah, Dirt: you may want to do what Mike says and skip the original campaign and go straight to SoU. Generally agreed it’s a much better mod.