Nwn

I’ve been playing the single-player in NWN, with a near-near-final build (like, three weeks old). It’s pretty damn stable, so I have a good feeling about the final build. Anyhow, I just started Chapter 4 (the last one), so I can answer a bunch of stuff about SP, I guess.

I’ve only played multi at E3, but once I get final retail, I’ll get some MP sessions done. If only so that I can be an asshole DM and drop Balors all over my players.

How will the single-player work if we get a group together and play through it in co-op mode? Is that possible?

What’s the pacing like compared to, say, Diablo?

What kind of character are you playing too? Are thieves viable? Are there non-combat paths where you can use stealth to get by something instead of killing it?

I’m pretty damn sure it’s possible to play it co-op, because the campaign itself is made up of four huge modules.

You only personally control one person, so a party could work. I guess there will just be more critters to compensate. I’d get into the single-person gameplay structure more, but I don’t want to cannibalize on an upcoming NWN piece we’re doing in the mag.

The pacing is more like BG2. Chapter 1 is a lot like Chapter 2 from BGII. A big city, with one main quest, and a shitload of sidequests.

My mainmainmain game is a Chaotic Good Half-Elf Fighter, Scooterina Slasha. I also have some progress with Tree Hugger, my Chaotic Neutral Elf Druid. For kicks, I made Chaotic Neutral Dwarf Cleric Buddy Christ, and Lawful Evil Elf Monk Dolly Llama. I’ll fiddle with wonkier class/race combos, as 3E will let me.

Thieves are viable. There’s a shitload of traps and locked chests, and they can mess around with some pretty fancy traps. The new Feats system gives them more combat options, so they can hold their own in a fight, if need be.

Occasionally, you can resolve things without combat. Either stealing or talking your way past stuff. Though, the core is still old-school, traditional KILLKILLKILL.

“My mainmainmain game is a Chaotic Good Half-Elf Fighter, Scooterina Slasha. I also have some progress with Tree Hugger, my Chaotic Neutral Elf Druid. For kicks, I made Chaotic Neutral Dwarf Cleric Buddy Christ, and Lawful Evil Elf Monk Dolly Llama. I’ll fiddle with wonkier class/race combos, as 3E will let me.”

Surely this man is gay. No?

Manchild is a more accurate term.

Jesus! You know the last time two times I was this psyched about a game, the results were dismal. Those games were Anarchy Online and Black & White. The former was unplayable due to bugs/bandwidth, and the latter was so boring after one or two days that I thought about selling my computer. Allow me to emphasize my feelings with this: :cry:

So, I’m really happy to hear another good report from someone who has actually played. The beta seems to have been extremely well guarded. Hmmmm…its almost like even Qt3 was sabotaged during the beta. Here is some more emphasis: :x

Oh, one other thing. Where’s this guy: :twisted: ?
Wumpus has to be around somewhere

Thierry:

How is the combat difficulty? Does the game balance the tank vs. spell-dude well? How is the path-finding?

TSG

Here is another question: How does the combat stack up against Freedom Force? I’m really digging Freedom Force’s physics, and the ability to beat anyone over the head with anything I pick up. I realize I’ll be saying goodbye to this feature in NWN, but does the NWN combat hold up otherwise? I figure the spell casting will be as fun as the hero abilities in NWN, because that always seemed so central in Baldur’s Gate II. Then again, in BGII and in FF you are controlling a party which gives a lot more choices.

Also, I should add, I really hope NWN combat and the game overall is more fun than Dungeon Siege. That game was mind numbingly boring. I know the common belief was that DS gameplay was somewhere between Diablo II and BGII, but I have to disagree. DS is completely in Diablo territory, but goes too far. Intead of the thrill that clicking monsters grants an illusion of actual ass-whupping, DS takes away even that part of the fun. Instead you generally click ahead of the party and they go into battle and you sort of just, well, watch. Ugh. I am so glad that FF came out at the same time as DS. Please tell me NWN is all that and a bag of chips (Salt & Vinegar).

Neverwinter Nights is all that, a bag of chips, AND a coke. No kidding.

Combat seems very silmilar to Baldur’s Gate, to me, except that you just have yourself, and maybe a henchman/familiar/summoned creature, none of whom you directly control. (Well, you can possess your familiar, but that’s it.) Still, it seems to be very engaging, to me. And, fortunately, combat seems to be less of a focus (though still a big focus) than previous RPGs.

It is almost nothing like Freedom Force, so if you are looking for a similar game, it may not be the game for you. The combat seems quite good–as a previous poster said, similar to Baldur’s Gate, but with just one character to control (which personally, I prefer). The radial menu is a bit clunky to use in the heat of battle unless you pause a lot (particularly if you are a spellcaster), but once you get a bunch of actions set up on your quick bar, all is well.

The game is also not much like Dungeon Siege, which was really just a tactical combat game in a not-very-interesting fantasy wrapper. The controls are a bit more complex than Dungeon Siege’s, but the game also does a lot more. NWN focuses more on story (at least the solo game does–if you make your own modules, they can focus on whatever you want).

I like it. A lot. What’s more, I’ve been spending much time fiddling with the beta toolset, and I’m convinced that making and running modules is going to be a blast.

Token emoticon: :shock:

I wonder if I can re-do Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. I do have the P&P module for it. Hmmm. :wink:

That’d be funny. I daresay it’d be superior to the current incarnation. I’m contemplating doing a BG mod myself, or if I’m feeling really wacky, System Shock. :P

• Alan

I just wanna know how easy (or not) it’s going to be to add a disguise skill…

And how dopplegangers work.

I’m really interested to see how the game works out as a whole. What I mean is, beyond the original campaign (which seems to be getting high marks), the game will largely consist of the ‘amature’ designer (DM), putting together modules of varying size and quality, without the trappings of playtesting that we’re used to seeing in all the games we play. Without a small army of people spending months to see whether the game is balanced and paced just right, what will happen? I’m curious, as a player, what it will be like to fire up the game, go on the net, and then look through the list of possible modules to join. Half the adventure will be seeing how good/bad/indifferent/minimalist/intricate/humdrum/innovative all these modules will be.

Two sidenotes:

1. Of course, it all depends on the DM client. If it stinks, then all bets are off because DMs won’t be able to have fun. And why else run a module?

2. The above scenario does not cover what many people plan on doing: playing with friends.

And here is a smiley face: :lol:

Well, I’ve certainly gotten the impression that you could download available modules, too. Not every game has to be run by a live DM, so if that’s bothering you, I’m sure you’ll be able to find downloadable modules that have gotten good ratings.

And based on all I’ve heard, the dev tools are completely idiot-proof, so I wouldn’t worry about too many sucky user-created modules.

And, Bioware is currently planning on creating modules and running them, too. When you go to join a server, now (in the beta), there are choices for “Action,” “Role-Playing,” “Hack-and-Slash,” and others. The other day, I even saw one for persistent worlds. It sounds like it’ll be easy to find just the modules you’re looking for.

You’d think I had neveer posted to msg. boards before!

I am excited about this game and for Father’s day I may possibly get it from my one year old. However, she has also stated that Morrowind “doesn’t look too damn bad either, daddy!”

I realize they are completely different RPG’s, but if you only had to get one because of money or, more importantly, time constraints which would it be?

I’m curious to hear what those who have played both have to say, too.

I opted for Neverwinter Nights, as I basically had to choose, but my poor aging system wouldn’t run Morrowind, I don’t think. That might have tipped the scales.

I will say, based on the beta, that NWN may be as close to the perfect RPG that we’ve seen yet, and I’d recommend it to anyone based on the beta.

Between the NWN Aurora editor and the UT2003 editor, it’s really looking like the technology has progressed to the point where people can start focusing on creating mod content instead of mod technology. Yay! Content is good!

Of course, idiot-proofing is pretty hard. I mean, there are some really idiotic people out there.

• Alan

Well… it is really easy to use, at least at the basic level (if you want to create your own scripts or custom tilesets, it gets more complex). But it doesn’t guarantee that what you make with it is going to be good. No fault of BioWare’s, since I can’t imagine how it could. As with any tabletop game, having a good module and a good DM are key.

I expect to see many sucky user-created modules. Also many good ones. Since I plan to create and run my own, it doesn’t matter to me either way.