NWN2 Goes Gold

Here’s something to make all you delayed-shipping sad sacks feel better:

• Called Fry’s. No answer in multiple calls. (NO ANSWER FROM THE WHOLE STORE.)
  • Called the EB near my work in San Francisco. No answer in multiple calls.
  • Called Best Buy near my home. They only got in the limited edition and sold out already.
  • Called a Gamestop near my home. They are only selling the game to preorders.
  • Called another Gamestop. They didn’t get it in at all yet.

Dude! SUCKS!

Fry’s in Concord has both the CE and the regular edition (I assume your from the East Bay, since you mentioned Best Buy PH).

Anybody else in love with the opening movement of title music? Seriously nice.

My CE pre-order from Gogamer is still listed as being processed. Bummer.

9 minutes 22 seconds to patch, is that a record? See yall later…

It’s a bit better, the original didn’t crash on me either but I could never tab to the desktop. NWN2 hasn’t crashed yet and I can alt-tab all over the place so far. Performance is the same as the original, which is piss poor even on a pretty hefty rig. Shadows? No thank you sir, I like fps > 10.

Can’t apply the patch since I went D2D, but other than that it’s very playable, and pretty fun for the 3 hours I have played so far. The graphics suck for the performance you get, but I can forgive that. I doubt people with less hefty machines would be more forgiving though.

Ingame update.

Like I said, no problems.

If you are having problems with the updater barfing while installing the patch, the suggested fix (which I’m trying now, because mine barfed) is that you need to free up more disk space. Someone recommended 7GB free.

Very ugly patcher if that’s the case, but let’s see if it works first.

It did indeed work. I was at 4.5GB free space when it was failing. What a crock. Patching took 18 minutes, too.

OK, went to the EB in the city. First peon I talked to said they had just run out of stock. Second kid went into the back and got one. Yay! Waved it in the first dimwit’s face just to encourage him to not speak of that which he knows not.

Installing now. Not gonna play much tonight, maybe just create my character… but TOMORROW night… ahhhhh TOMORROW…

At Best Buy I went to the video game section and found the person that I had spoken to on the phone only 45 minutes ago. The phone conversation was interesting:

Me- Do you have NWN2 in stock?
::she checks::
BB- Yes we do.
Me- How many?
BB-What?
Me- How many are left? I mean, are they flying out the door, do you have a bunch left?
BB- Well, we have 2 in stock.
Me- I can be there in 30 minutes, do you think you’ll still have a copy left?
BB- Um, they are selling pretty fast, you might want to call first. Just to make sure.
Me- That’s what I’m doing now.
BB- Oh, yeah. Okay. We have 2 left. We’ll have more tomorrow.
Me- Thanks.

So I head down there and find the person that I was pretty sure that I spoke to. She had a copy of the game in one of those huge plastic containers that they use for security purposes, right next to the register.

I asked if I could buy it. She said, no someone was already purchasing it. So I asked her if there were any more in stock. She checked and said that there was one more. I asked if I could get that one. She said sure, but she couldn’t leave the register and get someone on the floor to get the last one out of stock.

So I found another blue shirt and he said he’d get it for me. Meanwhile another BB person brought a guy with a baby carriage and yet another copy of the game to the register. The girl asked him, is this the last copy in stock? He said yes. She rang up the guy with the baby, who I figured left with the last copy.

I was about to leave, when I saw her throw the big plastic container containing NWN2 into a bin next to the register.

I asked her what she was going to do with that copy.

She said, “That’s going back into stock.”

I asked if I could buy it.

She looked surprised. And said, “Sure.” Just as if I had saved her a trip to the stockroom.

::sigh::

It’s time like that where it pays to make friends with your local gamestop manager. :)

I had to drive two towns out of my way, but the GS manager had one set aside for me when I called up from work. My local GS doesn’t carry spare PC games anymore.

Hopefully my wife enjoys the game.

I somehow closed the minimap in the upper left of the screen. Does anyone know how to get it back? The manual says “M” for minimap, but that brings up the big map.

Damn, you got that far already? I’m still trying to figure out my video settings. I got as far as the character creation screen and needed a rest.

Seven CDs? I guess that I’m glad that I had a quick install and update. But seven CDs? The first game was a total of 3 CDs if you used both expansions. Damn, guess I’m gonna have to spend some time on this sucker.

BTW, thanks to all of the D&D peeps in this thread for the suggestions. Rock on, D&D nerds!

My copy won’t arrive from GoGamer for a long time. :(

I have a question for people who already have it: Does Intelligence affect dialogue choices? So does having a higher intelligence give you more choices, like in the Fallout games, and Torment?

I guess the last game Obsidian did (KOTOR2) had dialogue that was affected by your Repair Skill, and all kinds of other skills. Is that the case this time?

Or is it more straight laced, straightforward dialogue, like in Baldur’s Gate 2? i.e. not affected by the character’s stats?

Fired up the game, get past the intro movie. Opening menu is over a giant placeholder that says “MISSING 2D TEXTURE.” Awesome.

What normally enables convo choices are skils like Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, which a high Int can contribute to indirectly by more skill points. Charisma has a more direct effect.

We need to start a Buy RichVR a DVD Drive fund.

I didn’t even see a CD version. Seven CD’s is insane. I wonder if that’s a record?

Thanks, I won’t turn down the cash. But I have a DVD drive. The only version of the game that BB had was the CD version.

But please, keep those donations coming in.