NYC spy cameras

Just what we need, apparently.

"The NYPD is installing 505 surveillance cameras around the city - and pushing to safeguard lower Manhattan with a ‘ring of steel’ that could track hundreds of thousands of people and cars a day, authorities revealed yesterday.

Well, with Jerry Orbach dead, this is pretty much the only way you’re going to take up the slack on investigations.

if they are outside, who cares? I’d think they’d NOT want to do it though, because what kind of liability do they open up for the city when they suddenly can see every single crime occuring, and cannot possibly respond to them all? ie- I was raped/robbed/assaulted because they didnt show up, but a cop was watching or recording the whole thing, x1000000000

Also, police misconduct.

In my state, they used to record all drunk driving arrests. The reason they stopped? Too many people were getting off because the juries could see that the cop was fibbing about the way the person drove, and the way the person performed the roadside tests.

Some of the funniest things I have ever seen are on drunk driving arrest tapes.

I hate the entire idea of this, along with the dumbass “If you don’t want cameras on the street, you must have something to hide” argument that inevitably ensues. Hello, Big Brother. Are we really so desperate for safety that we want to abandon notions of privacy? Even in public areas?

Welcome to the “You’re on big brother” show.

Just think of all the highbrow new TV show formats we can sell you to go along with the Police car footage shows because we’ve covered every centimeter of most British cities with CCTV for years.

And if you don’t want to appear on the show, or provide entertainment for the ‘watchers’ make sure the curtains are drawn properly

So long as they’re in public places, who really gives a shit? I’d like to see it extended so everybody could look at what the cameras are seeing, though. Like, you could have video kiosks in malls or whatever where you could flick between all the cameras in the city. Turn it into a tourist attraction. Put up a website. Wouldn’t be quite so creepy that way.

Yes it would. More so in fact.

I think you mean less so. That’s what you meant to type, right?
Anyway: It would still be creepy, but more ‘TV’s Big Brother’ annoying-creepy than ‘George Orwell’s Big Brother’ sinister-creepy.

Are there going to be curtains on these booths?

Plastic curtains, yes.

I’m glad I live on 187th street.

Stalker heaven!

I’m with Hanzii: that’s uber creepy.