Nyko wireless net extender

I know a few people on this board have this and recommend it, but I wanted to find out some info first. I was thinking of getting XBox Live (finally) and maybe a laptop with wireless ethernet. Does the Nyko allow you to only connect one device wirelessly or can it receive multiple signals? When I looked on the website, the technical details stated that it used airflow technology to keep my hands from sweating while I played…

Is the signal consistent? Does it get interfered with a lot? Right now I live in an apartment, so floors and walls are no problem, but when I get a house, will it still work ok? I don’t know much about wireless technology to be honest. Thanks.

As far as I know, the Nyko can only be used to bridge one connection at a time. If you wanted to bridge more than one connection, you’d have to buy another Nyko. Why would you want it to receive multiple signals anyway?

As for interference, I live in a house where the transmitter is upstairs in the bedroom and the receiver is downstairs in the living room. The signal is travelling through at least one wall and one floor/ceiling and so far the connection has been flawless. No lag, no interference or dropped connections.

Well, I thought just in case I was on XBox Live and my fiancee wanted to use the laptop with a wireless connection. I guess I need to look at some type of wireless plug for my non-wireless router. I think they make those, right?

Thanks for the response.

Hey, this thing’s supposed to be a snap to set up, right? Could it be something I could move back and forth between the Xbox and PS2 easily?

That’s what I do. I just swap out the ethernet cables that go from the back of the Xbox or PS2 to the Nyko receiver. I don’t know if you can get a doubler or switchbox for ethernet cable but that’d make it even easier.

If you want to use a laptop too, I’d go for standard Wi-Fi rather than the proprietary stuff. 802.11b devices are dirt-cheap now. My grandfather got a D-Link Wi-Fi router from Amazon for $34.95 after rebate.

That’s what I do. I just swap out the ethernet cables that go from the back of the Xbox or PS2 to the Nyko receiver. I don’t know if you can get a doubler or switchbox for ethernet cable but that’d make it even easier.[/quote]

Isn’t the Nyko just like a big virtual ethernet cable? If that is the case you could put a cheap hub near your consoles, connect the Nyko into the uplink port, and then run a cable to each of the consoles or laptop.

– Xaroc

That’s what I do. I just swap out the ethernet cables that go from the back of the Xbox or PS2 to the Nyko receiver. I don’t know if you can get a doubler or switchbox for ethernet cable but that’d make it even easier.[/quote]

Isn’t the Nyko just like a big virtual ethernet cable? If that is the case you could put a cheap hub near your consoles, connect the Nyko into the uplink port, and then run a cable to each of the consoles or laptop.

– Xaroc[/quote]

My consoles are in different rooms. It makes more sense for them to be hooked to separate TVs so more than one person can play video games.