Obama endorses gay marriage

Finally!

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/president-obama-affirms-his-support-for-same-sex-marriage.html

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president continued. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, sexual orientation that they believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

So true.

Woohooo! This makes me positively giddy!

Views: evolved!

I still don’t agree with the “states have the right to decide for themselves” angle that he’s apparently going to stick with, but this is a big step nonetheless. Screw the “bigots in swing states” vote.

Welcome to the 21st century, Mr. President!

The “progressive” Republican talking point on this is awfully funny: “It’s about time that he came around to Vice President Cheney’s views”

Remember what everyone thought of my theory that he was lying about his views on gay marriage? :P

4 years overdue–he should have done this during his first campaign–but still welcome news.

It should have happened sooner, but it’s welcome all the same.

Agreed, but it’s still a pretty huge (and somewhat risky) endorsement of gay rights. A sitting president coming out for gay marriage in an election year? That’s a pretty big deal.

Suspect anybody who is going to cling to this as a voting issue has probably already made up their mind.

That it was an absolute disgrace that he was lying about a civil rights issue for political gain. Yes we do remember that.

Possibly, though I think this will be an election of inches, not feet. GOTV efforts are going to matter a lot. I’m sure they have microtargeted polling and all that, but it’s still risky.

Oh, Brett’s back. Awesome.

OBAMA FLIP-FLOPS ON GAY MARRIAGE

lol

jesus christ

Personally I don’t see what business the state has in marriage in the first place, as opposed to just registering partnerships between any two people, but…

(Heck, “two” in itself is a cultural judgement!)

Two Sheds - FAIR AND BALANCED

Oh I’m well aware. Still makes me face-palm.

That’s cool and all, but I’m not sure if it was politically smart. Supporting the gays doesn’t exactly win elections. I always figured he supported gay marraige, but was playing coy for political reasons, which okay, I get it, he can’t exactly help the cause if he doesn’t get elected. If that was how he really felt, then I don’t see why he decided to come out (sic) now. Who cares about what Biden lets slip.

Agreed on all counts, Starlight.