Obamacare is the law of the land

So fucked up.

And yet the individual mandate is vehemently rejected by the young and the relatively healthy as some sort of government overreach because so many of them can’t fathom that a few hundred from them can prevent someone else from paying so much when they’re very, very sick. There are people out there angry that people use their health insurance, essentially blaming cancer patients for being sick.

People are? Not in my circus of relatively young friends and family. It’s the old people… those people!

I know I had dirt cheap insurance in my 20’s. My daughter having to buy “good” insurance would basically mean having to give up what few lifestyle perks she has.

And now, as an old fart who will soon enough lose his company paid for insurance, I will be looking for whatever the cheapest alternative is until I reach the magic age of 65.

I was wondering about this, and from what I’ve found the young (18-30something) are typically more supportive of Obamacare as a whole than older people. With the mandate in particular, at least one poll has the young and less well-off (<$50k household income) as less likely to support its repeal (see question 18AA).

You mean this split?

Where it’s so close for the 18-34 it’s within the margin of error?

Yep, that one. It’s also lower support for a repeal than everyone else aside from 65+

Margins of error don’t make statistics useless, just reminders to moderate ones views. Regardless, it doesn’t look like vehement opposition, although the poll was back in March and things have changed since then.

Well I didn’t mean to discredit or imply that ALL young people reject the individual mandate, but I didn’t think it was such a minority that it doesn’t matter. This poll has the group neck and neck, and the healthy and generally young people who reject paying for health insurance because they are healthy and young are missing the point.

Yeah, good point. Sometimes I get lost in the weeds of polling and get overly fascinated by the little things.

I took my mother to Costco today because basically wanted to go, and I have memberships whereas she does not.

At the register she tells me she didn’t get her flu-shot this year because at the county health department this year, they’re charging 80 dollars a shot for adults… because of, wait for it, ObamaCare. Yes, it’s ObamaCare’s price that our local health department has pretty much quadrupled it’s price over the years to the point where the poor can’t afford it.except pretty much every where else, Safeway, Walgreens, CVS… you name it, has it less than that, including Costco. 19.99, she went to get it, but they are out of stock. We’ll be going back later this week.

I don’t know what they’re trying to pull at the county office, but I was pretty mad that’s the excuse they tried to pitch. And before anyone asks, yes, Costco will take insurance. They sell it for 19.99 and most people with insurance will get it for free.

I got my flu shot for free from Rite aid.

I am not sure we have any Rite Aid’s left… maybe. I’ll check. It’s pretty late in the flu shot season. You’re saying you just walked in the door and they were given out the shots at no cost, or did it require a purchase?

I gather you’re in Oregon, Nesrie, but not in Portland. I-5 corridor or Central/Eastern? I got my shot through a clinic they set up at work, but I could have gone to Kaiser as well, I guess.

That’s weird about the price being so high at the county (and effed up that they would claim it was because of Obamacare/ACA in particular).

Speaking of the flu, supposedly one of the strains they chose for this cycle is one that has mutated in the meantime, so it’s less effective than other years. They say in Australia it was only about 10% effective, although they’re hoping for better here in the States. Keep washing those hands, people.

Got my flu shot for free from CVS.

I went to the pharmacy, had to give my insurance info and doctor contact info, and then they have me a shot. It’s possible that they charged me insurance or something, but they didn’t charge me directly.

My mom does not have insurance. It won’t be free, but twenty seems like a fine price.

Yeah i know it’s not especially effective this year. I just didn’t know she’d been trying to get it fora while until today. I had no idea she even got it at the county health department in the past even.

They’re going to have to rethink how they make the flu shots (most are produced using chicken eggs).

It will take a long time to bring any new way to produce flu vaccine to market. An awful lot of inertia, not much economic incentive and enormous risk exposure for any safety problem. The current vaccine might not be as effective as it could be, but at least it doesn’t kill people.

Yeah, they will stop producing aspirin due to ObamaCare too.