Obamacare is the law of the land

My prediction should this happen

folks who are getting subsidies will dump their plans, as they will stop being affordable for them

Folks like myself just over the threshhold will benefit slightly- as the checks from Trump will outpace slightly the premium hikes. Only for 2-3 years though.

You see a huge spike in medical bankruptcies and it hurts the economy. This might be the thing that does Republicans in with enough of their base to make a wave- or they’ll die off and stop voting (then again I wouldn’t put necromancy past the current GOP)

The system of health insurance will collapse entirely as it grows too expensive- and single payer happens in the 2020s, probably fast-tracked and ham-handed in much the same way Republicans do business now. People will die in the interim, so this is a bad thing.

Yeah, I guess I didn’t latch onto the context as much as I could have.

Health care stuff makes me livid.

Seeing a lot of hints today that the Super Secret Senate health plan is very, very close to being done.

Kasich told the Times today that he’s on board with a Medicaid phase-out. That’s a pretty clear signal from a moderate Republican governor who presided over Medicaid expansion that this is gonna happen.

Yep. And it’s being ignored by media.
This is unprecedented really - no hearings, no draft released, no review, nothing.
Chris Hayes (rightly) labels it The McConnell Doctrine:

‘In an era of extreme polarization and weak institutions, you can get away with whatever you’re shameless enough to pursue,’

There was a good podcast discussion about those people that are whispering there :)

all about “procedure”

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/the-senate-whisperer/

I’ll take things you never expect to hear for $100, Alex:

They won’t be able to pass anything more generous with the bullshit procedural rules they are trying to sneak it through with.

So does this end with us prostate before the throne begging our tsar to save us from the wicked boyars?

Please Trump don’t sign the legislation your own party passed? Nothing would make him happier than to be everyone’s best friend, the strongman doing the right thing, etc. Maybe he’ll make it a tiny bit less horrible and kick it back?

LOL, he will sign whatever the Senate sends him and throw a party with a marching band and a banner proclaiming that he’s solved the healthcare crisis.

Then later he will call it cruel and that he wished they would have made it better, because Trump just says whatever he feels like saying and it apparently doesn’t matter anyway.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/06/13/532783189/nevada-may-become-first-state-to-offer-medicaid-to-all-regardless-of-income
Interesting idea. I’m sure there are plenty of holes, not least of which is what the federal government may do to Nevada’s funding if they enact this. Still, it’s nice to see a state at least trying to make a positive move.

The Atlantic has a suggestion:

No they don’t have a suggestion. Focus on the sick people? No shit! What else you got?

I have a suggestion. How about… single payer healthcare to combat outrageous costs on common drugs and procedures? Regulate the prices!

But, but, that would interfere with the “right” to gouge people who are operating under time pressure and with incomplete information!! You a commie or somethin’?

What exactly is the restriction on the procedural rules they’re trying to stay within? That the bill has to be revenue neutral or positive, and not add more to the deficit right? Or are there other rules as well?

As for the deficit neutral part, couldn’t they make the bill less “mean” by lowering the amount of tax cut for the rich that is within the house bill? That way they could divert more of that money to the catastrophic coverage part. I’m not sure if that would make the bill all that much better, but it would be slightly better.

But that would defeat the entire point of the bill!

What they will do instead is make the tax cuts expire after 10 years. That loophole gets around the resolution rules. House Republicans rejected the idea before, but now I think they have a better idea of the actual weakness of their position.

Yikes. It’s not just trump.

Yeah, whatever you do, don’t talk about the 20-some million people who are going to be effed in the A, and everyone else that will eventually be priced out of the insurance market due to the accelerating death spiral. Rich people aren’t rich enough, as we all know. It’s their world and we only live in it.