Obamacare is worthless

Trump has said that this is it for him on this. I think he feels pretty burnt, and will lash out. Ryan and McCarthy sold him this bill as a done deal they could sail through the House and Trump jumped on board.

The President is likely to view this as damaging to his brand.

Well I figure he’ll be on his way to vacationing in Florida by 2pm EST so he won’t lash out until Monday morning when he’s back on the clock. Or his late Friday​ night shit maybe.

Eh, I don’t know about that. The pervasive narrative (and reality) here is that the Democrats are bystanders. I haven’t even seen any of the usual “they won’t even work with us!” narrative from Republicans. They have significant control of the house, and they are too busy pre-parsing blame among themselves.

I am sure a few will try it, but that dog won’t bark.

Still, let’s see how the vote shakes out!

I have. It’s been very limited and half-hearted though. Like you said, they’re too busy not getting their own folks to agree.

Mark Sanford (who had been a “leans no”) reaffirms his NO vote this AM.

Sadly things may hinge on whether Bobby Rush makes this vote or not. His wife passed away and the funeral is today.

I agree, in the near-term. In the long-term though, 18 months from now, when the public has seen further increases in healthcare cost and are once again blaming Obamacare, I believe we’ll see a lot of local races using this as a single-vote issue. “He/She voted against the reforms! Get them out so that we can get this thing passed”. I’d love to say I have confidence in the voting public to not be swayed by that argument, but hey, this is the same public that voted Trump in to office (including a number of blue districts).

I hope I’m wrong. I hope the public is educated enough on the state of the union and the facts about the ACA and AHCA before they vote. But damn, the GOP has shown time and time again that they can spin these things to their benefit. Hell, they convinced the public that Obamacare is the worst thing to ever happen to them and that saving all those jobs with the bailouts was a negative as well, despite it being something that stopped the recession from turning in to a full-on depression.

Our two-year cycle of Congressional elections means that you basically only have a single year to get anything done. The second year is spent raising funds and campaigning for your next election… and being far, far too timid to try anything bold.

The same is partially true for presidential terms if it comes with a congressional majority. You get a year or so to implement your agenda, then the midterms take away your mandate, then the next two years are spent preparing for the next election.

In this case, failure means that the public won’t accept a half-assed solution and the GOP will be forced to go and craft something significant. Not to be snarky, but that’s just not possible for them. They can’t make a true change to US Health Care without a sixty-seat majority in the Senate… and I really don’t think they could create anything that would satisfy the HFC and not also kick 24 million out of the healthcare system.

Surely last November taught you never to become emotionally invested in anything to do with American politics!

My congressman. I feel for him, I do, but I missed that and will make a call now to ask him to do his best to make the vote.

Yeah, shit, I can’t even tell you.

I go in and out of politics these days. Sometimes I get sick of the constant “Holy Shit! Russia!” drip-drip that amounts to nothing and goes nowhere, or I get hopelessly discouraged with everything, and disengage.

I swore in the 2016 election thread that I was done and checking out. Low information bubble here I come! Bookmarks unbookmarked. Podcasts unsubscribed. But then I keep getting drawn back in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

And, yes, I am way too invested in this vote.

Disappointment and depression incoming!

I’d recommend against that, since you won’t be able to buy coverage for it past 2018. . .

Hooooooooooooooo ohhhhhhh I made myself sad.

Part of the reason that Ryan is treating this as the one-and-only-opportunity is that it’s being done as part of a reconciliation process, not a new bill. If they can’t get this one through, then they have to start the process as a new bill, which means Senate-filibuster-proofing it.

Dana Bash on CNN: Ryan going to the White House right now to Tell Trump the votes aren’t there and to ask what he wants to do about it.

Barbara Comstock in NoVA, who is vulnerable in 2018, just announced she’s a NO.

This thing is going down in flames if they go to a vote.

It’d dead, Jim.

Looking that way. What will Ryan do? I can’t see him giving in to diaper donnie.

Just got an NYT alert: “Paul Ryan Rushed to White House to Tell Trump He Doesn’t Have the Votes to Repeal Obamacre.”

Gah, I’m too slow apparently. Sorry!

Nah, it’s all good BR.