Obamacare is worthless

^^Honestly, I’d be hard pressed not to make the same choice.

Maternity care, ob gyn visits? Hell no.
Dick pills for sex offenders? Why, yes.
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/845415997557411840

Hahahahaha indeed. That is awesome.

This kind of thing is, stupidly, what will bring Trump down. Not his gross incompetence, but rather the collapse of his image as a tough guy who you need to listen to.

As it becomes (more?) obvious what a joke his administration is, it will become apparent that the emperor had no clothes and it’s all a con.

From SA forum:
The emperor has no close.

My prediction: Trump makes it fail now by announcing publicly mandate penalties will not be enforced period.

magic 8-ball says
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/845745592789815296

A pretty good, quick rundown of why Republicans were in such a godawful hurry to get the health bill passed (it rhymes with “lax smut”).

Remember when WaPo was in the tank for the GOP? Good times, good times.

WSJ editorial page is still Facebook for Fascists tho.

Earlier, Trump tweeted out for folks to watch Judge Jeanine Pirro’s show on FOX tonight.

Pirro opened her show by calling on Paul Ryan to step down as House Speaker.

Subtle.

I’m uncomfortable mocking the Republicans too harshly for not being able to repeal the ACA because I’m super grateful to the ones that voted against it because they knew the replacement was terrible and would hurt the people they represent. They made a good decision and we should recognize that.

They voted against it merely because it wasn’t horrible enough, and to ensure they can claim innocence with their constituents for job security - not because they actually give a damn. This wasn’t a victory, this was dodging a bullet. They should be mocked at every opportunity until they are fully replaced with anyone with an ounce of competence.

The Freedom Caucus folks did vote against because it didn’t repeal enough and I’m certainly not on board with those folks, but the few others who legit voted against it because their constituents were loud and they listened… okay.

I’ll take anyone we can get who fights against Trump for the right reasons, even if they had to be shamed in town halls to pay attention.

Yes, the “Tuesday group” Republicans were​ the moderates who refused to vote for it because it removed coverage for their constituents.

If they ever have the balls to publicly acknowledge that their fear mongering about the ACA was bullshit for the last 8 years then maybe I’d start to think about thanking them for refusing to vote for TrumpCare. But as it stands all they can do is fucking claim to “listen to their constituents” but never own up to lying to them beforehand.

Bullshit.

Yep. Republicans had seven years to come up with a replacement for a law they demonized and lied about solely for political gain, which obviously worked because they recognize the extremely limited capacity of the American voter to think beyond Facebook memes.

Here’s another post mortem. Hopefully the “Ryan is a policy wonk” myth will die its long overdue death soon.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/paul-ryan-failed-because-his-bill-was-a-dumpster-fire-214952

Is it time for heads on pikes yet?

I’m going to play devil’s advocate for a second. Full disclosure, I want single payer. Or just whatever Canada or France has, just friggin’ give us that. But to take the Republicans’ point of view – that health care is a product like any other product and you pay for it. Those of us who were too young for Medicare and not poor enough for Medicaid, did we not all live in that dystopian hellscape for our entire lives prior to 2010? Or am I missing something? Speaking personally as a middle class dude (annual income seldom above 30k) who for years had to pay his own premiums because self-employed, it wasn’t that terrible. That said, I was also young and healthy.

Well, that’s the problem, isn’t it? Most of us (myself included) are (were in my case) fairly healthy when we’re young, and skate through our mid-thirties with almost no issues, aside from the occasional sprained joint and such. But then things start happening even to previously-invulnerable us. And even before that some young people break ankles and wrists or wind up badly banged up in car wrecks. And some few people are effed healthwise from the get-go because they had the bad taste to inherit messed up genes or whatever. How just is it to tell people “oh well, you’re just financially ruined I guess, and will probably die quickly due to dumb luck, or because you survived to 50 or 60.”
Now it’s true that there are some behaviors under people’s control that can increase or reduce their risk of disease, and every effort needs to be made to dis-incentivize the bad behaviors (smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, excessive food consumption, lack of regular exercise) and organize society so it’s not incentivizing them.*

*but good luck with that one. The tobacco industry fought tooth and nail to disclaim all responsibility for its contribution to disease and premature death. The soft drink and processed/fast food industries are still extremely powerful and will be just as resistant to anything that reduces their profits, no matter how good it is for public health.

Even with SP there are certain problems that can’t be solved with that system alone. Our opiate addiction is not going anywhere without drastic changes. Given everyone a buffet to the primary physicians to demand their drugs and fill the waiting room with kids that have the sniffles or trying to fill teens with anti-depressants because teens are mouthy doesn’t solve anything. SP is not a silver bullet. There is a cultural problem here.

I grew up in a family that believed you go to a doctor when something is about to fall off or it’s broken… unless you’re a woman then you go at least once a year more than that. We didn’t have healthcare for most my young adult life, and I didn’t have it for most my twenties. There is a permanent cost for that. At the same time, we had people basically down the street that were in there every other month for symptom cures. On the employment front, we have this mentality that people should go to work sick because either they don’t have the time off offered or using it is somehow a career ending move.

SP probably works a lot better in conjunction with other things these countries also have, like paid parental leave, more time off, better work-life balance, systems that don’t push drugs that you literally get addicted to, and once again, everyone who pushes SP seems focused on the demand side only… supply is barely an afterthought.

No, @Nesrie, we don’t ignore these things. Far from it. There is a whole lot of systemic changes needed, but single payer is an important aspect of that too. Along with that more aggressive curbing of the extortionate pricing in things like medication.

Stop pretending people are blind to these things or don’t talk about them.