Obduction by Cyan, the creators of Myst and Riven

This might be what I needed to hear.

Getting the word out on this seems to be lagging. I don’t remember hearing about it and I loved the Myst series of games. Probably would have kickstarted it, too. Added it to my wishlist as a reminder for when I have time and money again.

VR (and HDR) now available

Cyan, Inc., the legendary indie studio that established the adventure
exploration genre with the beloved and best-selling games Myst and Riven, today
released the VR version of its critically-acclaimed sci-fi thriller, Obduction,
on Oculus Rift. …

…Obduction players can now immerse themselves in VR on Oculus Rift, or on a
traditional monitor. Also being added is NVIDIA HDR support and NVIDIA Ansel,
which allows players to capture stunning 3D 360 panoramic screenshots in super
resolution, customizable with post-process filters and shareable with friends

Obduction dropped by 20% today on Steam. Fair to say that unless I’m eager that I’d be better off waiting for Christmas sales?

Why do you say that, Equisilus? I think Obduction is excellent. It easily lives up to its Myst pedigree.

-Tom

I had to shelve it because it pushes my 6 year old PC too hard to be the experience it should be. But I really loved the vibe I got from the early part I played. It was very eerie and mysterious; the puzzles seemed to match what I would expect from a Myst game.

Wendelius

Oh, I’ve little doubt that it’d be excellent from what I heard. My thinking is that I’ve already got The Witness and Civ VI on the go, not to mention a few hundred other games in backlog, so was more curious whether I could expect a deeper discount at Christmas or if this is pretty good. I don’t have a lot of funds to spread around these days and want to make the most of them by hunting the best deals without going beyond Steam/GoG or retail.

This describes me as well. I’ve been watching the current GOG fall sale, and it hasn’t dropped there yet. However, that Steam price looks pretty nice. If it can drop to that point at GOG, I’d much rather buy it there, so I’m waiting. But yeah, I’ve been itching to get back into a Cyan game. I haven’t attempted one since the third(?) Myst game came out many years ago…except that one wasn’t done by Cyan, was it? Edit: I did play some of Uru too, and enjoyed it.

@Wendelius did you ever get back to this? I still have it wishlisted. :)

Cyan is working on their next game! Firmament!

http://firmamentgame.com/

Obduction eventually received VR support post-release, but looks like Firmament’s been built for VR from the ground up.

That’s good news.

I didn’t, but thanks for reminding me! Since then, I inherited my son’s slightly newer PC and upgraded it to include a 1060. So I should be able to run it much better. And I certainly liked what I saw enjoy that I’m curious about getting lost in the world again.

I played Obduction over the holidays and quite enjoyed it. Was a little hesitant about it since I haven’t played anything by Cyan since Myst, but the puzzle design turned out to be pretty up to date and I enjoyed the whole thing.

Looking forward to their next game, for sure.

Anyone knows what the state of this game currently is on the PS4? The Eurogamer review from a while back says it’s horrible but it might have had some patches since.

Outside of the loading screens, Obduction is otherwise technically amateurish. The PS4 build crashed on me several times and the framerate frequently took a hit as the game would stop and stutter in busier areas. Occasionally the controls would cease to function as intended, making certain switches impossible to flip without shutting the game down and rebooting it. For such a serene game devoid of any combat and few moving pieces, it’s somewhat shocking that it was released in this state of affairs.

Here’s and interesting article about the creation of Myst

These type of games always seemed fascinating to me, but even that first location in myst made me feel stupid. I couldn’t even come up with a clue on what I was supposed to do, let alone how to do it.

I have a mixture of feeling dread and anticipation. I just started this and definitely brings back memories of Myst. I liked Myst back in the day quite a bit. I don’t think I’m that person anymore. I was all happy when I restored some power, but now I’m feeling a bit of dread as I’m wandering around. A damn lift that was working no longer works. I just don’t have patience of wandering around anymore waiting for inspiration to strike.

I keep trying to get back into Obduction but I feel it’s just too much wandering around trying to figure out what to do next instead of real puzzles to figure out. I loved all the Myst games but perhaps the 'myst’ery isn’t captivating enough for me this time around.

There is no crime in using a walk through guide for a little push in the right direction.

My whole problem was that I didn’t see a little button. I looked at that walk through and when it was sending me back to that building I walked around some more and found it.

Obduction similarly didn’t work for me either. For me, many of the puzzles didn’t provide enough context to put me on the path to solving them. Not long into the game, there’s a ton of stuff to fiddle with, but why I want to and what I should be trying to accomplish wasn’t clear. I trust that the explanation behind why the world is the way it is is really fascinating. But I didn’t want to muddle my way through to figure it out.