Obi Wan film in discussion

I can see them wanting to keep a lid on things until they sign someone who can lead on a marquee. The director isn’t a huge name so maybe they’re just waiting to find their Obi-Wan.

Oh man, don’t go there. If it ain’t Ewan I’m out.

I hear you, but I feel like if it was going to be Ewan we’d know by now.

Edit: however, if I were at Disney/Lucas and it was at all possible, I’d try to make it the big announcement at Comic-Con. Could they keep it under wraps for 60 more days?

Or maybe they don’t want to steal any of Solo’s thunder? I’m hoping there’s a legit reason.

I am waiting for the Yub Nub origin story.

The age thing also doesn’t quite line up. Ewan is 47 now & its been 13 years since SW3. Alec Guiness was 63 during ANH. That would make OB1 about 57 if they shot the movie now, so you’d have to age Ewan 10 years, making him an even older protagonist.

Time wise he’s also still stuck on Tatooine babysitting Luke, so not sure how many shenanigans he’d be up to there. Though I guess there is room to let him shoot of on a quick off-planet adventure where he’d meet a spunky young hero/heroine that would be more inline with a marketable disney protagonist.

Yeah, I don’t see that as much as a problem. We know he went to Tatooine at the end of episode 3, and we know he’s been living there a long time in episode 4. But a lot can happen in the what, twenty years in between? He could have hopped off planet for some adventures any number of times. Now granted, he was in hiding, but still I think you could justify something like that. The age thing, too, can be totally fudged. I think you need Ewan in order to maintain continuity between the movies. It makes no sense to go with a third actor playing Obiwan when you’ve got a guy right here who has expressed interest more than once in reprising the role.

I had asssumed this would be a story set before Episode 1. A younger Obi Wan.

I keep re-reading this but I can’t understand the logic you’re using at all. Where did you get the 57 number from? Why couldn’t they just set the movie when Obi-wan was Ewan’s age? (early years on Tatooine)

That argument also implies that an actors age determines a characters age and that is simply not true, from a certain point of view.

You are right. My calculation only works from a certain point of view as rshetts points out.

The whole thing is rather futile as the timelines don’t match up. Ewan was 33 when ROTS was made and ANH is set 19 years later - ie OB1 would be 52 then if we start with Ewan. Alec was 63 though.

Still not understanding what that has to do with anything. I am fairly certain an Obi Wan film would be pre-Episode 1, perhaps showing Obi Wan’s upbringing and early Jedi-hood. His time in between the prequels and the original trilogy is well documented through various cartoons/books/etc. That would be boring.

Plus I’m kinda perfectly ok with what I saw in Rebels of that time gap.

Which was not much, but exactly the right amount.

I disagree with pretty much every part of that statement. I think it’s extremely unlikely that any Obiwan film would take place before or during the prequel era. First, Lucasfilm would be fighting the tide of general opinion about the prequel movies. They know that they’re widely disliked. Second, there would be nothing familiar about this movie - look at Solo. It’s kind of an origin story, but it’s got some old stuff we’re familiar with, like Cherie, Lando, the Falcon. What would this “young Obiwan” movie have? Last, I don’t get why you think this movie would have to be boring. We’ve got a 20 year gap to work with, you think Obiwan just sat in his hit waiting for Luke to grow up in this time? People knew how to contact him - I mean, Leia knew where I send R2 to ask his help - there could be any number of stories you could tell in that gap.

Ah yes, Cherie, my favorite Star Wars character. That young resistance fighter, “Cherie the Rookie” they called her.

More rumors, but this seems to be heating up -

http://m.tmz.com/#2018/05/17/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-story-movie-plot-director-production/

I wish there were zero Star Wars prequels. Instead they are planning the 6th or 7th prequel despite only producing 5 non-prequels, which is crazy.

That said, if they have to do prequels, this is the one that I’d be interested in, but only because I want more Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan. If that’s not part of the package the desire for this movie is inexplicable to me.

I’d like to see a Star Wars movie where the Star Wars people find Earth!

Then they show off their light sabers to King Arthur and that’s how swords are invented. Then, later, Winston Churchill gets abducted by the rebellion and flies in an X-Wing dogfight. Then when he gets home he invents the Spitfire.

I always thought that in the timeframe Star Wars is happening, Earth is still a young planet and humans haven’t evolved yet. But I guess the phrase “A long time ago…” is pretty ambiguous. But I figured, they meant millions of years ago.

Maybe Obiwan leaves the monolith on earth for the apes to discover.