Oblivion 20 min of gameplay footage

He’s complaining because combat in Morrowind was a silly game of whack-a-mole that became funnier the more you did it. The improved combat looks rather similar, however improved.

There’s just something about the idea of trying to do first person melee combat that rarely works out well.

It is way, way different than Morrowind and you can google Oblivion Interview if you want to see how, as I’ve talked about it in just about every single one I’ve done. As of yet though, swinging a sword tragically looks just like swinging a sword :) As soon as we make it look like… something else… I’ll, uh, let you know! ;)

Visual and auditory feedback to indicate the difference between a hit and a miss. For starters.

I’m not sure if you’re serious or just trolling, but given that one of the most frequent complaints about Morrowind was the fact that the NPCs didn’t really do anything other than stand around waiting to give out information, this criticism is pretty funny.[/quote]
I guess you’re right. I mean, it’s pretty obvious when you thoughtfully compare standing around waiting to dispense quest info and setting dogs on fire which one makes for a better game.

Other ways to bring the NPCs of Morrowind to life:

-People could make friends, meet at the pub to do their laundry, and then lynch the barmaid for serving them ale instead of mead.
-An officer of the guard could espy a young child teasing a neighbor’s cat, perhaps by summoning a 20’ tall wind elemental that would spin the kitten around. The guard would then go find the child’s parents, encase them in ice, and use their pottery wheel to make a lovely urn before going back to his patrol.
-A young man’s fancy might be piqued by one of the less mannish ladies of the village, and concoct a potion to make her love him. She drinks it, they get married, and get a house together, spending their days in matrimonial bliss, practicing their swordfighting together in their kitchen.

I have to agree - doesn’t seem to be much difference between Morrowind and Oblivion as far as the combat engine goes.

GoW got everything just right for making combat “feel” solid and real.

This is especially true if you were silly enough to try unarmed combat. With a lizardperson. Slap slap slap…

Visual and auditory feedback to indicate the difference between a hit and a miss. For starters.[/quote]

There’s no miss for starters :) Not in the traditional since of missing a roll of the dice, at least. It’s collision based - if your sword hits, it hits. You get sound and blood (and controller vibration on Xbox) for confirmation, and sometimes a stagger animation if you hit hard enough. If you miss, you just get the plain old swoosh sound.

Everyone who thinks the combat is the same should try and give this a read. Educate thyself :) God of War did indeed have great combat. For a 3rd person game.

Can’t say I’ve played God of War but anything short of Mount & Blade will be a disappointment. That feels like combat. Intuitive, reflexive, but not laden with combos or powerup bars you get in so many console fighting games nor disconnected entirely from a player’s personal skill like RPG combat in Morrowind. A happy middle that’s just good old medieval combat and that’s even before you get on a horse.

Regardless I’ll probably be picking Oblivion up. Tamriel’s gotten under my skin. I may end up missing the exotic setting and richly portrayed cultures of Morrowind or continue pining after the genuinely freeform gameplay of Daggerfall but what can I do? I want to see what comes next.

Edit: That article on combat does sound promising and a bit more involved than what we had before. I guess we’ll see how it works in play.

Visual and auditory feedback to indicate the difference between a hit and a miss. For starters.[/quote]

Did we watch the same Quicktime files? There’s plenty of visual and auditory feedback. If you downloaded the smaller, lower res. files try putting it in double window mode and watch a few of the fight sequences again.

Strong words Desslock, It’ll be good, but it wont be Ultima VII

I got really excited watching 3rd person combat in this video in hopes I could play it like Enclave or Heretic 2.

The Radiant AI stuff I could care less about. So long as there is a steady flow of quests and shopkeeps to haggle, I’m happy. Don’t plan to sit and watch some algorithm decide to walk the dog or take a nap or do both!

It’s not bobby jones from fifth period study hall saying that, it’s desslock. He might know some things about oblivion that we don’t. I assume he does, because u7 is the RPG fan’s citizen kane.

No doubt, because that would be me. :P

Comparing GoW to Oblivion strikes me as utterly pointless. The games aren’t even trying to do remotely the same thing. A GoW style combat system in a PC RPG makes zero sense.

While I haven’t played it myself, I’ve seen Oblivion played in person, and the combat seems a vast improvement over Morrowind, if only due to the collision-based hit/miss feature and the physics engine that lets you do stuff like bash skeletons off ledges with a powerful hit and watch them shatter when they impact the ground. It’s plenty dynamic for the kind of game Oblivion is.

Bloody amazing. I now am faced with the decision of either pre-ordering or buying it in my local EBGames the first day it’s out.

My comment was based on Morrowind’s combat, which was, literally speaking, a sin against God and all life.

Now that I’ve read that article, I’m thoroughly pleased. There’s been talk of God of War, and that’d be keen and all, but I really think that’s rather more combat stuff than is appropriate for a TES game. One day I’d perhaps like the option to enable “advanced combat” or something, but just the inclusion of a “Block” button that must be manually triggered is a huge step in the right direction.

So. What’s the pre-order biscuit for the PC version going to be like? I am going to be buying and playing this game. I’m sitting here, waiting for you to take my money! Are you going to take it? Are you man enough to take it?

So, after reading that blurb about oblivion combat, I am struck by how much it… does nothing new. I’ve played with that system in a game series known as Thief… and it wasn’t very good there, either.

Can I get some chain swinging action? Ok, that was pretty amazing.

Combat seems improved. Of course it’s hard to tell from the video, but I like the idea of timing a shield block with an incoming swing. I’m glad swinging takes a bit of time now, both for you and enemies. That will add much need pacing to combat (recovery, attack, retreat, circling, etc.). One thought though, I hope that the character shown was pumped up somehow (I’d imagine this is true since you wouldn’t want to die and reload/etc in a demo). Nothing seemed to damage his health meter much, and he killed most things in one hit. The whole thing looked like combat with the crowbar versus the zombies in HL2, which is a good thing.

The physics of the various objects seemed really neat. I didn’t notice the guy in the demo bump into a table or anything, so it’s hard to tell if everything is a physical object with properties (like the claymore he nabbed from the bookstore), or just some things like the skull and ribcage. Time will tell. I hope you can say, pick up things and barracade doors. That was one of my favorite tactics in HL2 (sorry to compare it so much but we are talking same physics engine, apparently).

Spells and spells effects look just as about improved as they can get. The look of the fireball spell zooming out and hitting those zombies or whatever in the dungeon was just awesome. Having them on fire and falling down was perfect. I wonder what poison, lightning, etc. will look like. Can’t say I liked the dog being burnt up, but it was amusing to see it paralyzed, complete with “sleeping” animation and a glow. I hope to God magic items don’t have that annoying glow from Morrowind (I hear it’s toned down). I couldn’t mod that away fast enough.

I loved how you zoom in for a closeup of the characters when in a dialog with them. That and the absence of a panel interface (replaced with floating topics that diappear during their responses) is much improved and adds greatly to immersion, I think. Great job on improving the interface. Even the interface of equiping items, etc. looks better. They didn’t delve too much into it but the dedicated screen with a background, and the stats, etc. being on parchment in the foreground reminds me of an updated Arena paper doll. Very cool. I was a bit disappointed in Morrowind’s paper doll, this has been fixed dramatically.

Lighting has of course been improved just outstandingly. There were many areas of the demo I would not have run through without a torch. The man traps expecially were very cool swinging out of the darkness. Man, it’s too bad you can’t set traps (picking up logs and placing them, attaching ropes) because they look like a hella lotta fun. The one scene where the walls spring up and the gas comes out of the floor grate was really neat. Kind of an “oh shit” moment.

A lot of really great moments were just casually mentioned or mentioned in passing by the commentator/demoer, which is understandable as I’m sure he was reading from a script and/or trying to show off everything at once. The darkness of that dungeon, the way that blood was on the sword of the guy who killed the Clanfear, the Daedra smoking that guard with the fireball, the woman actually sitting down and reading and eating (with full animations) were all just “gosh, that is neat” moments.

I can’t wait for the full game. I thought this demo would spoil some of the surprise but it only whet my appetite for more. I hate to sound like a fan-man (I’m too old to be a fanboy) to BethSoft, but great job guys. I hope you sell 5 million copies so you can get some profit sharing and Wonderwoman can buy a mink coat.

Like I said before…we’ll see how much of the canned stuff actually makes it into the final game.

And also, was I the only person who thought it was unreasonably dark? I mean, you would think that if you were going into a dungeon that was that dark, that you would have a torch or a light spell going… :)

I’m sure that current day video cards probably can’t handle things such as ‘light’ in that engine. Does anyone recall the performance of morrowind?