Oblivion and/vs. Gothic

How do they stack up against one another?

Gothic’s controls suck; Oblivion’s don’t.

/runs

Graphics? Anyone?

I admit to being shallow…what can I say?

Graphics of the world are mucho better in Oblivion…assuming you can run them. The characters and the items…eh, not that big a difference in my mind. Grahpics wise anyway.

The Gothics are more centrally focused on their stories (divided into chapters, with less of a sense that you can simply ignore the main quest). I prefer the melee combat in the Gothics though it is less visceral. Oblivion has pretty much caught up in terms of NPC AI/scheduling, and in some ways surpassed it with the radial AI, though honestly I haven’t seen much interesting results out of that.

Out of Gothic, Oblivion, and Gothic 2, I still consider Gothic 2 the best of the bunch, but I like Oblivion a lot. It feels more like an old fashioned dungeon crawl in some ways. Gothic is a little closer to the “Bioware” end of the spectrum (heavier emphasis on story, multiple but clearly-defined paths and alignments), though still fairly nonlinear within each chapter.

What Gothic are you talking about?
I’m having a great time with Oblivion but I’m looking more forward to Gothic 3.
I prefer the world that Gothic is set in- it’s a bit more dystopic and less ghey.
(IMHO).
I also prefer the combat model that Gothic has.

How can anyone possibly prefer anything that has to do with the controls in Gothic (i.e. - combat). They are so bad they’ve driven me away from the game a couple of times.

It’s not about the controls, it’s about the choices you have in melee and the way timing allows your attacks to be more or less powerful. Maybe Oblivion has as much depth, and I just haven’t found it yet. But from my current experience of both games I felt a more satisfying sense in Gothic that the timing of your attacks really matters, and there’s a nice feeling when you stack up a combo for heavy damage.

This difference may only be perceivable once you have gotten used to the admittedly clunky interface in the Gothics. But it is possible to get used to that and to look past it, as I can personally attest.

I think it would be great if a “Quake vs. Unreal” situation emerged in the sandbox RPG niche, with Gothic and ES vying to be the best. The sad part is that both have a certain genericness to them,

Whereas Quake and Unreal on the other hand…

It’s sad that Gothic III will probably receive only a small fraction of the hype that Oblivion got.

Admittedly the inventory controls and menu controls in Gothic are bad, but the combat controls are pretty cool once you get used to them.

Anyway though, I’m really liking Oblivion more than Gothic I/II because there’s just a greater sense of being in a real world rather than a very limited area.

I think it’s the other way around. Gothic II has a consistent and coherent gameworld that makes sense vs. a large world populated with nonsensical dungeons/forts/Aelid ruins every 500 feet and pretty bandits outfitted with glass and Daedric armour.

Not saying Oblivion isn’t fun but Gothic II presents a far more believable world with a greater sense of danger and accomplishment.

Gothic II did present a very believable world, that’s true. However, I believe the drawback is that the gameworld is fairly mundane and a bit drab.

Gothic had lots of neat little things in it that I remember. Like the fact you could cast a spell to shapeshift yourself into a Bloodfly (a sort of giant insect) and zoom around the gameworld. Not true flight but a kind of hovering – still cool. If town guards saw you they’d attack you just like any other monster.

And there was no cap on the number of creatures you could summon. I don’t think they had a time limit on them either – at least not a short one. Before the final battle I summoned about two dozen skeletons to aid me. One of my favorite memories in gaming is standing there in the dim light with all these skeletons crowded around me, my own private army, ready to do my bidding. The didn’t actually prove very helpful in the battle for some reason, but it was a great moment anyway.

How can anyone stick with default controls they hate? You can remap everything!

The first thing I did was make it a typical FPS setup so WASD for movement (with Q and E for left and right attacks). I never had a problem with the controls becuase I didn’t just bitch about them but atually fixed them to meet my needs!

That is why developers let you modify key layouts

This sums up my feelings as well. Gothic 2 felt more real and believable. It is probably because they made a much smaller game world so they could populate it more.

I’m hearing the complaints about leveled content in Oblivion and I can’t help thinking that it’d be a good thing for me in Gothic 2. My current game has outleveled me, and now I can’t hardly move for being intercepted by something instantly lethal.

Well, more lethal than usual anyway. I think I need more dragonling (or whatever they’re called) shapechange scrolls.

I just think the emphasis is different. It is natural to compare, but one is much more centrally focused whereas the other is peripherally focused.

I love Gothic far more, but do also quite love Oblivion.

Mike

That’s what’s cool about Gothic, though. You’re a total pussy at the beginning. I love the guy in Khorinis that tries to make you pay a toll to get into the tavern. Like any self-respecting RPG player, I declined, thinking I’d just box his ears and that would be that. Dude kicked my ass. Like ten times. Then I finally loaded my save and paid him. There’s no other RPG that would happen in.