Oblivion - help, I killed my own experience

Ok, I know Oblivion is old topic now, but I just finished and wanted to get some feedback.

After I figured out the wierd leveling system was outpacing my character’s abilities (as in, hit it with an arrow and get rushed and squashed flat), I tried a different strategy.
I made a character whose primary skills I would basically never use. This way, I could up my important skills without resulting in overpowering monsters. This brilliance turned out to be not so bright.

I finished the game: all guild quests, arena, randomly encountered quests, and finally the main quest. I am level THREE. This is mostly from reading books that upped my primary (unused) skills. The skills I used are all 50-90.

I never saw 80% of the game’s armor, weapons, magic items, and monsters. The wilderness is still populated by rats and wolves. I hoarded a whole 6 silver arrows that were shot at me throughout the game. I have all these summon spells that I can’t cast (due to mana cost) for creatures I’ve never seen.

I don’t really feel like leveling just to do the daedric shrines. I put in LOTS of hours to see everything I could, and now I realize my superpowered hero is done, yet I have little satisfaction.
I want to start over, but wow, that was a lot of time I spent. The stories are now repeats, plots revealed, suprises sprung. What do you guys think?

Oblivion sucks. Play Morrowind.

Say hello to Oblivion’s shitty scaling system.

Or you can just play the game and have fun with it and it generally isn’t a problem.

Morrowind was infinitely better on this count. I still wish there were areas where low level beasties lived and an area where angels feared to tread. Or if not angels, heroes.

If you have a problem with the levelling system, play one of the many many mods that “fix” it. Otherwise, remember that whenever BobJustBob hates a game, it’s worth playing.

Look into two of the mods. Oscuro’s or Francesco’s. You won’t need both. Unfortunately you’ll need to start over, but either will give you a much fresher experience playing the game.

Oscuro
http://www.tescreens.be/oblivionmodwiki/index.php/Oscuro’s_Oblivion_Overhaul

Francesco
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=268

The thing to do is to have main skills iin things you can control, like alchemy so that you can level when you want. Hardcore minmaxers aim to be able to raise three attributes by 5 every level. mMost of the fansites have guides on how to do this.

Francesco is the shizznit.

Cannon I’ll also add that you should check out the multiple game enhancing quest add-ons too. There’s a nice list here, but this is only a small part of a long list:
http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/quests

Morrowind had leveled content as well. I distinctly remember the moment at which netches started to appear in areas that had previously been devoid of them, and going back to dungeons to discover that they were now populated by brand new higher-level creatures.

I don’t remember it bothering me as much in Morrowind, however, or being quite as noticeable. I’m not certain why.

I don’t understand how the game comes equipped with a built in difficulty slider (which is even better than having to restart a whole game on say, easy or hard mode), and people bitch about the difficulty.

If its too hard, turn down the difficulty. If its too easy, turn it up. Do people really have something dead set against this?

Note this isn’t meant to be a slam against you, CannonFodder. It’s just a general confusion . . . what’s so impossibly complex and frustrating about a difficulty slider?

I’m going to restart the game soon. If I want to avoid the bad leveling design, but not make the game generally harder, will Francesco work for me? I heard Oscuro ups the challenge.

I don’t mind challenge, but in games like Oblivion I’m more into the exploration and interaction than the “figure out how not to die for a fifth time.”

Elguapo - I think the OP was referring to gimping his character and wanted a fix for it, unless you were referring to Damien’s comment

DennyA - Oscuro includes more by default so yeah i guess it could be slightly harder. Francesco is more modular so you could pick and choose what you wanted to change. Neither really makes the game hard though. They just set level ranges on certain areas. So it forces you to play a little more of the sidequests than you would normally, otherwise you get the beat down when you try to jump through the main quest too fast.

Yes, I do have something against it. I’d like it if the game designers did their damned job, rather than relying on the user to fix it with mods and difficulty sliders.

I lowered the difficulty slider early on. I dunno, maybe I made the game a bit too easy, but I’m in it more for the quests and exploration than the actual fighting. It took me 10 seconds to drag the slider to the left, I got to see all the creatures/armor evolve as my character leveled, and I had a blast.

All of the Elder Scrolls games have – in fact, Oblivion’s system is very similar to Daggerfall’s. So have many other RPGs to varying degrees (like the Ultima games had harder creatures gradually appear in the wilderness as the game went on). But one of the big problems with Oblivion’s implementation is that it affects items/equipment, in addition to monsters – Morrowind had higher level equipment around from the outset. There were also no real “danger zones” where you could see high level creatures as a low level character - the closet thing to that in Oblivion would be encountering Ogres through the related quest, but those instances are few.

It isn’t about the difficulty (or lack thereof), it’s about the automatic scaling of content and the loss of a sense of hidden danger. When you know there will be level-appropriate foes wherever you go, it drains the game of its tension and surprise. Some people prefer RPGs which go, “OK, the kobolds go down here, while the dragons are over there,” and not knowing which area is which until they get there.

In short, some people enjoy not knowing if there is a dragon round the next bend who can squash em flat. Keeps them on their toes.

Ride into the Danger Zone!

Yep. You also miss out on the sense of accomplishment if the content always scales – it’s cool to struggle to fight, say, a minotaur as a low-level character, and perhaps get lucky and plan well enough to kill it – and it’s also cool to be able to go back into that minotaur’s lair as a high level character and be able to stomp him and his whole family with a rain of death spell and really feel like you’ve become much more powerful – Oblivion misses out on both those types of experiences.

I much prefer how Gothic 3 handles things – treking into a goblin’s lair, chomping on some meatbugs and following their trail…only to walk into a shadowy room that’s the lair of a deadly shadowbeasts that tear you apart in 2 seconds if you don’t make a successful run for it.

It’s also another reason I dislike MMOs for the most part – I hate the fact that they “grey” out creatures and make them either oblivious to your presence or worthless to deal with, so there’s no point in showing off your new power to taunt the bastards who killed you before.

It all comes down to this for me – those devices just make the experience feel “gamey” to me, i.e. obviously very artificial, and prevent me from being immersed in the world and roleplaying. A more ‘realistic’ immersive world has dangerous creatures and high level equipment that you can use from the outset, and the creatures in it don’t suddenly get replaced and it doesn’t suddenly become populated with bandits in shiny glass armor just because i’ve been exploring it for 20 hours.